Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Perhaps a little understanding of why it may have taken Heljan so long may not go amiss? If they have pulled production from a factory, and are incurring additional costs in moving production, it may well be that the lawyers have been involved and that comment could not be made for fear of breaching existing contracts. I have been in such a position with my work before now, desperate to let customers know what is going on, but legally unable to do so.

Roy

I got the impression that they only moved because of the quality issues...

The advantage with Social Media is that it gives manufacturers the chance to see straight away if there any issues with their new products and react to those issues,  even if it's only a holding reply such as "We are aware that some models may have valve gear/pick up issues and we are investigating"...

My comment simply pointed out that Heljan failed miserably in that respect. Eventually they got their act together and said something but by that time the locos reputation had been trashed, being more on the ball could have made things a lot different... I don't want Heljan to fail, but they really need to help themselves, the feedback is out there if they want to use it... Most companies outside the model railways field seem to have got the message, it's about time MR companies moved into the 21st century...

BTW I was watching two of the locos perform without any issues on an oval of Peco 9" setrack over the Welshpool Gala and the owner had said that he'd got them from Peco who had check and tested them before sending them out... Perhaps that's all that was needed...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

It  is  my  understanding  that  PECO  distributed all of  the  first  420  batch,  this  could be  misinmformation but it    is the info I was  given.  I know my  2 definitely  came  via  Peco to the  retailer

Regarding  testing     I tested  my  2  when  I received  them  they were tested on an oval of 282mm radius  of Unitrack and of course they ran  ok, no points to  traverse.,  when  the continuous long run on the 009 layout  was completed which  had 12"min radius curves   gradients  between  1in 25  & 1 in 30 and several points they  ran  fine  also,  as by that  time  to  pony pick up problems were addressed by removing  the  brass springy  bits!  and  the  coupling  heights had been  adjusted to a correct height.  However  after   approx.  2hours  actual running  the  first loco's valve  gear  failed,  the  2nd  loco lasted several days  longer  failing  after   around 20 hours running.

So really  a  brief  test  may not  show faults which  may occur in time,  although  I know of  at  least one loco which  failed immediately power  was applied.

Incidentally  the  valve   gear  failures   occurred on my  2  in exactly  the same location on  the  layout,  when traversing an approx. 18" curve,  which  was  checked after no 2 failed  and  was  found to be OK  ( ie no kinks  or anything wrong  with  the track laying!!)  and  was  tested  with  several other locos  including the   full Roco H0e range of locos and some USA outline N gauge locos  including a 'Big Boy'

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

I quite agree. It took time to sort out the Class 17s but in the end, whole new chassis were provided to us. That sort of thing cannot be done quickly and Heljan, to its credit, resolved the problem. It cannot have been cheap.

I would expect the product to be tested before being sold to the gen public. I find it deplorable that models are still being sold while Heljan clearly realise there is a problem to the extent they are changing suppliers . Let's see what the model railway press say.............

Someone somewhere is losing money on this, hopefully not the shop!

The retailers  I  deal  with  have  said  that they  have  no problem  with  returned  faulty  items, when  they  receive  them  from  the purchaser,  they  either  handed to   a company  salesman  or  sent  back  to  the manufacturer  ( In  the  case  of  the  Manning  Wardles  they  were  given to  the Peco  rep, as Peco  had  supplied  them  on  Heljans  behalf)

I have   heard  though  that  Revised  production of the  MW  will have to be  at  a  Higher  price  than the original SRSP  for  obvious  reasons  a lot  has  occurred  since  2013

• 3 weeks later...

As   Mentioned  in  the  NG  section  Dundas  have  a few  9950   MWs  @  £170.  no more  until  quarter1 of  next  year ( optimistically)

Surprising  as  it  may  seem  I  ordered  one,  despite  having  had  2  with  valve  gear  failures,  some  may  think  I am  Daft,  but  surely   not   3  out  of  3,  who  knows  time  will tell!! :scratchhead: 

As   Mentioned  in  the  NG  section  Dundas  have  a few  9950   MWs  @  £170.  no more  until  quarter1 of  next  year ( optimistically)

Surprising  as  it  may  seem  I  ordered  one,  despite  having  had  2  with  valve  gear  failures,  some  may  think  I am  Daft,  but  surely   not   3  out  of  3,  who  knows  time  will tell!! :scratchhead:

I'm collecting one from Woody Bay on Saturday. Should be a fun review to write. (CJL)

Surely all of the first batch, ie those already distributed, are suspect?

We don't know how many were in the first batch. Or how many of them are still running perfectly OK. I would presume that there's a higher-than-acceptable rate of returns, not that ALL of them are going to fail. It's much more likely that when the second batch were inspected/tested the 'pass rate' was too low and at that point the decision was taken not to distribute them. I believe that there is a limited pool of skill and experience in this type of manufacture available in China and that the very high demand for product at present has led to setting up of new factories where the skill and experience levels are inadequate for the standard of work required. A 'OO9' locomotive with outside frames and valve gear was always going to be a tricky operation for even the most experienced and skilled staff. (CJL)

I received  mine  from  Dundas  this  morning,  as  I  stated  sometime  ago   I would not  touch  another  with  a  bargepole,  but looking  around  I  cant  find  my  bargpole it  probably fell into  the  canal  during  the  last  storm!

But seriously  I jumped in  with  2  feet  when  I picked up the Dundas  ad in 009 News,  speaking  to  some others in the know (apparently) it  would appear  that the  suggested  availability date of Q1 18  may be  optimistic,  so working on the premise  that  having  had  2  failures  already  the odds  on  No 3 failing must be  reduced :no:   so resistance  became  futile  and  I spoke to Andy ( I think that is  his name??)  yesterday  had  a  nice  chat  about  things 009  and  I  ordered a loco.

The loco has  had  a  test  run  this  morning  and it all seems  fine, it ran on  the  shed  layout still under  construction   traversing a looped  8 continuous run  with  2  gradients  and 6 Peco 18" points in the  circuit, no derailments or anything to note.  I was concerned that  the tunnelled section on the line  which is 6 Peco coaches long and on a 90' curve may have  caused clearance problems  due to the loco overhang but  it  was  OK  ( the tunnelled  section was constructed using  a couple of Fourdees 0-6-0  locos as  a  size  guide  which  was  a bit  daft  I suppose.

I have  decided to sell the  Fourdees locos,  as  I prefer to  use  digital  and  digitizing fourdees  whilst  not  impossible  is  a little  fiddly.

I received  mine  from  Dundas  this  morning,  as  I  stated  sometime  ago   I would not  touch  another  with  a  bargepole,  but looking  around  I  cant  find  my  bargpole it  probably fell into  the  canal  during  the  last  storm!

But seriously  I jumped in  with  2  feet  when  I picked up the Dundas  ad in 009 News,  speaking  to  some others in the know (apparently) it  would appear  that the  suggested  availability date of Q1 18  may be  optimistic,  so working on the premise  that  having  had  2  failures  already  the odds  on  No 3 failing must be  reduced :no:   so resistance  became  futile  and  I spoke to Andy ( I think that is  his name??)  yesterday  had  a  nice  chat  about  things 009  and  I  ordered a loco.

The loco has  had  a  test  run  this  morning  and it all seems  fine, it ran on  the  shed  layout still under  construction   traversing a looped  8 continuous run  with  2  gradients  and 6 Peco 18" points in the  circuit, no derailments or anything to note.  I was concerned that  the tunnelled section on the line  which is 6 Peco coaches long and on a 90' curve may have  caused clearance problems  due to the loco overhang but  it  was  OK  ( the tunnelled  section was constructed using  a couple of Fourdees 0-6-0  locos as  a  size  guide  which  was  a bit  daft  I suppose.

I have  decided to sell the  Fourdees locos,  as  I prefer to  use  digital  and  digitizing fourdees  whilst  not  impossible  is  a little  fiddly.

Glad it looks promising. Hope mine is the same. Yes, I think Q1 next year may be optimistic, although if it's a complete re-tool it might be quicker than if it's not. In this business one gets to hear some interesting stories about the perceived 'ownership' of tooling. 'Possession is nine points of the law' and all that. (CJL)

Just  a  quick update  on  my  3rd  L&B  Loco  received a couple of  days   ago................ It ran  fine  as  reported earlier,  but  in removing it  from  the  layout the motion on  the  left  side fell apart  ( see  Pic)

This  was a couple of  days   ago  I was  reluctant  to  reprt  it  at  first  not  wanting to add more  doom & Gloom, but  I then  considered that  there may be  some   considering buying the locos  which  are  still being offered  from  various  sources.  so I thought the  info should be posted.

The  Cyano/adhesive/lubricant   theory  seems to be  gaining  ground  though,  this  is  my  3rd loco failure  all failures  on  the  left  side of the loco.

post-10539-0-93194100-1506760617.jpg

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update on my 3rd L&B Loco received a couple of days ago................ It ran fine as reported earlier, but in removing it from the layout the motion on the left side fell apart ( see Pic)

This was a couple of days ago I was reluctant to reprt it at first not wanting to add more doom & Gloom, but I then considered that there may be some considering buying the locos which are still being offered from various sources. so I thought the info should be posted.

The Cyano/adhesive/lubricant theory seems to be gaining ground though, this is my 3rd loco failure all failures on the left side of the loco.

Good that you post this Steve. I can't understand how this can be continued to be offered for sale when there are these level of defects . Good consideration for future consumers. 3 out of 3 , not even with a barge pole! Edited by Legend

It looks as if it would have looked nice before it fell apart, if you can follow that. I have two on pre-order. Luckily, I didn’t get them.

Steve, perhaps you should drag the canal for your bargepole.

Its  a  nice  looking  loco,  and  the  actual  chassis  is  smooth  and  powerful,  with  good  haulage capacity,  Basically  I  think  all Heljan need to  do  is get  a manufacturer to re design the  way  the  valve  gear  is held together ( perhaps  with no  adhesive used)  and   ditch  the  pony pickups which  I found on my previous locos  were  not necessary and fit the ponies  with a light springing arrangement  which pivots  when the pony does!  &  Correct  the  way  that the  valve gear  covers  are  attached, so they don't move  and  Foul the  points!

I cannot  see  them  appearing in 3 to 4 months  though  I could be  wrong  but  I reckon it  will take  longer

Guest Midland Mole

In total we have sold around 8 L&B locos (mix of Yeo & Exe) and not one of the purchasers have reported a problem to us, take from that what you will but obviously a good number of the first batch were fine.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

In total we have sold around 8 L&B locos (mix of Yeo & Exe) and not one of the purchasers have reported a problem to us, take from that what you will but obviously a good number of the first batch were fine.

Alex

Perhaps they have not been run much yet,ie bought by people without layouts?

• RMweb Gold

Alex

This is the kind of concrete information that's needed. I'm in no sense in the market for one of these....but if I were,here is the sort of reassurance that I would find invaluable....much frustration and anger being spent on this model as it is.This is where a genuine model retailer can supply its clients with useful knowledge.

Just  a  quick update  on  my  3rd  L&B  Loco  received a couple of  days   ago................ It ran  fine  as  reported earlier,  but  in removing it  from  the  layout the motion on  the  left  side fell apart  ( see  Pic)

This  was a couple of  days   ago  I was  reluctant  to  reprt  it  at  first  not  wanting to add more  doom & Gloom, but  I then  considered that  there may be  some   considering buying the locos  which  are  still being offered  from  various  sources.  so I thought the  info should be posted.

The  Cyano/adhesive/lubricant   theory  seems to be  gaining  ground  though,  this  is  my  3rd loco failure  all failures  on  the  left  side of the loco.

Steve- I'm sorry but not entirely surprised to hear this. I'm afraid I'm a sceptic and when I read that you were buying a third I considered placing a bet on it failing.......seriously though, is there some suggestion that the motion is assembled using an adhesive of some sort? I must have missed that in the thread!

Guest Midland Mole

Perhaps they have not been run much yet,ie bought by people without layouts?

That might be the case with some, but 3 of them were purchased by one person and I do know he has run them and is very happy with them. You may well be right that a couple of them were bought mainly for display purposes, but obviously I don't know for sure. :)

Alex

Alex

It   has been  the  luck of  the  draw!  The  retailer  I  bought  my  first  2  from  received 12 in total  I think 2  are still uncollected!  and 8 have been returned.

As  I reported  earlier  one  of  mine  lasted  around  20 hours  running  time, possibly  a  little  more  first  one  about  5  hours,  the  latest one  this week 15 minutes.