An Approach to Modelling Class 25s - Springy Bits!

James

Sorry to hi-jack the thread James, but I have to ask Mike about the sprung Penbits bogies.

No need to apologise! I'd like others to discuss what they're doing!

Right apologies James you can have your

thread back now!

See above! :D

Nope, fantastic kit, I'll be gettig one for the Class 37 next.

Join the queue!

I have a Class 47 kit in stock, but have other locos and projects to concentrate on first.

Hi Mike.

Nice to catch up on someone elses thread. With regards the roof dome, don't overlook the brassmasters parts. They may have something of use to you?

Cheers.

Sean.

The problem with the Brassmasters roof as I see it is that if it has been designed to fit the Bachmann body then the curve over the top of the windscreen will have the same fault as the Bachmann one. Anyway problem possibly solved as number one son Robert has produced a Silver Fox bodyshell from his archives! 

The problem with the Brassmasters roof as I see it is that if it has been designed to fit the Bachmann body then the curve over the top of the windscreen will have the same fault as the Bachmann one. Anyway problem possibly solved as number one son Robert has produced a Silver Fox bodyshell from his archives!

Problem solved there then.....

Trouble is, you'll still have to one to do for Battersby..... An excuse for a convenient chassis swap between shows perhaps?

Cheers.

Sean.

What are your plans to replicate the headlights? Thats where mine got stuck, deciding how to do them.

Do you mean the tail lights? If you don't I'll apologise now.

post-125-0-73078400-1361204581.jpg

Holes were drilled in the correct place and opened up to fit 2,4mm (or 3/32" depending on where you buy it) plastic tube from either Evergreen or Plastruct. Once this has set, it's dressed right down to just proud of the surface, and only just, and cut of flush inside. Backing plates are added from 30thou Plastikard behind and drilled through to fit 1/16" thin walled brass tube to form the actual light itself. Before this is added I drilled the plastic tube out to 2,0mm by hand and very carefully part way through the tube. Then the brass tube can be added, but the outer edge is dress down to put a slight radius on it. Not perfect but looks fine form a couple of feet away!

Dave, I hope you're not still in your corner! ;)

Progress is being made! Firstly the frame below the body has been extensively redone - the more I look, the more I see and how some seemingly random 'blocks' have made their way onto the chassis frame moulding!

post-125-0-96231600-1361446746_thumb.jpg

Ive now incorporated the buffer beam units into the full unit which is a neater solution which I much prefer. Just a lot of detail to add now!

I've also had a session with the Penbits bogies and I have to say that so far, I've found them superbly designed and everything fits! Perfectly! Why can't all etched kits be like this? That's it for this morning as I'll be taking my pet human to the railway museum this afternoon :)

post-125-0-47333300-1361446892_thumb.jpg

The last couple of days has seen lots of activity!

The bogies are now fully assembled (aside from the cosmetic side of things anyway) and the loco has been moving under its own power! The feel of it as it runs is very secure and pleasing :)

The lighting was poor so the images are a little grainy (i've been working on my parents' dining table so I could spread out and the lighting is great for meals, but rubbish for photos!). Anyway, this is a view of the virtually complete bogie minus the Bachmann drive train -

post-125-0-47243900-1361656912_thumb.jpg

You can see the primary suspension around the wheels with the axle boxes running in their guides. They are similar in concept to the old round Perserverance hornblocks but also feature a guide at the top to maintain alignment. Running across the centre of the bogie at the bottom are the secondary springs.

post-125-0-51455300-1361656938_thumb.jpg

Now with the Bachmann drive fitted -

post-125-0-40411800-1361656987_thumb.jpg

And a comparison of the bogie parts -

post-125-0-79468400-1361657529_thumb.jpg

Test fitting the bogies - first of all minus the drive units to push it all by hand. Even in this state, as Mike said earlier, it feels superb. Drive units in and pick ups temporarily joined to the motor and it works! Very smooth and it glides along.

post-125-0-72822800-1361657764_thumb.jpg

The fit of the Penbits parts is excellent - some other manufacturers could learn an awful lot from building a kit like this. The instructions are comprehensive (reminding me of the Formil Eng instructions for their Dyna-Drive kits) and even suggest a break to restore sanity at one point! They guide you through every part of the process and make it a real joy to construct. Oddly the length of the instructions could put some people off but this would be a shame as the whole package is excellent. Recommended!

And finally Brian Hanson's superb fan grille - three seperate layers are used to get the right depth and a handy little jig included in the etch lines it all up rather nicely!

post-125-0-43071500-1361657914_thumb.jpg

Coming along very nicely there James. I'll look forward to having a proper butchers at S4N. Having been inspired by your work on 31s this is getting my juices running for getting on with my 25/0 and 25/3 projects. My 25029 might need a bit of a tickle too to bring it up to your standard.

What are your thoughts on the sizes of the cab front windows? I'm sure I've read they are the correct depth for a 24 but are too shallow for a 25. I guess Brian Hanson is the man to ask for a definite answer as he measures everything.

Will you be using Laserglaze or doing the flush glazing old school style?

Cheers

David

The windscreens look OK to me (though I'll bow down the Brian's knowledge!) and I actually made them smaller on the 24 earlier in the thread.

I'll be using the Lazerglaze pack when the time comes - it'll remianed unpainted until after Scalefour North, the idea being to allow peopel to see what's been done. So far it's been quite an enjoyable project though I'm surprised how much is required on the Hornby body considering how good some people have said it is! But the 'face' of the loco is much better than Bachmann's.

Is it possible to graft the Hornby cab to the Bachmann body easily? Or are there too many differences?

To add to what Jim said, if you're careful you can exploit the differing bodyside grille styles which Hornby and Bachmann have chosen if you're prepared to mix and match parts.

But you can hopefully see the Bachmann body has been mostly retained and only the cabs have been replaced. This is where looking closely at your chosen prototype is very worthwhile - for all but the 25/3 Bachmann have modelled the earlier style of grilles which stand proud of the body side, whereas later grilles were much closer to the bodyside. In the case of the Class 24, the Bachmann model has the right grilles, only the cabs are less than ideal. Though it was here that I first realised that Hornby cabs lacked depth where I reprofiled the cabs' lower edges to match the moulded valance of the Bachmann model. The 25/3, well, requires a little more work to get the right result - oddly I've never attemped a 25/3 aside from buying an unbuilt DJH kit second hand, but this too is not without its own issues. But it's the only one mentioned here which has done anything to represent the 'bits' below what we regard as the bottom of the bodysides.

Is there a resource to which the modeller can refer which explicitly says what the problems re Backmann and Hornby Cl25 model actually are and how to deal with it/them? While I'm sat here admiring 'James' work, I'm rather wondering how these matters can be dealt with.

Regards

Edit, I'm aware of the Shawplan and Brassmasters enhancements.

• 1 month later...

This and a few other bits and pieces will be at Scalefour North this weekend -

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/shows.html

Sadly I didn't get as far as I'd hope. All three of us had, I think, flu - not colds but enough to put the whole family, at different times, in bed for two/three days each! I even had to relieved of duty at work - and a signalbox is a very lonely and isolated place when you're taken ill. I've never been so pleased to see a manager walking towards the box as I was that morning! Forst sick leave since I left uni, and I'll tell you what, I'm a terrible patient!

So not as far as I'd liked but I hope still of interest :)

Only just found this thread James, glad that you'd given it this bump... but sorry that you've been suffering. Hope all goes well this weekend; really wish I live a bit nearer to be able to come to it... but given as it's my lad's birthday tomorrow, all rail-related activities have had to be put on hold... until next weekend anyway.

The 25 project looks really good and you've convinced me that I do really need to tackle the 47 kit I have... maybe for a next one; sure-footed running in P4 looks great.

I also like your earlier comment (on page 1) about doing some real modelling on diesels rather than just accepting them as presented... here here!

Jon

• 1 month later...

Archived