Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

Guest 838rapid

Depot sickness apparently,Mind you they have had a good thing going for a while,and I doubt Certain individuals realise now there is track again past Scunthorpe..

Having worked on TPE for a while I could almost guess who has gone sick..

Sad but true

Still back on topic,its good to see trains running via the normal route again,and in time for Cleethorpes to benefit from all the visitors over the summer.

And if the weather stays as it is at the moment,the People will be there again boosting local business.

post-7937-0-29549200-1373397923_thumb.jpg

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 1

All were down to traincrew issues.

Could it be route knowledge issues - our instructions warn us that some through services (those which were diverted via Selby during the blockade) may continue for a while.

It seems to be a rolling programme of reintroduction on the north bank - the diversions via Selby making it easier I guess. Sounds like I'll have to be on my toes at Gilberdyke tomorrow! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Still back on topic,its good to see trains running via the normal route again,and in time for Cleethorpes to benefit from all the visitors over the summer.

And if the weather stays as it is at the moment,the People will be there again boosting local business.

attachicon.gif1065051_10151724305047733_2119476806_o.jpg

Wow, that's crowded.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• 3 weeks later...

Took a wander over there today (Friday), to round off my photo collection from earlier in the year. All four lines open and in use, all with a 40mph passenger and 30mph freight restriction. I think the Hull fast services were going via Selby, as there weren't many 158s around, but the stopping ones were running via Goole.

The earthmoving operation is still going full swing, with massive dump trucks up and down all the time.

Cuckoo Lane bridleway bridge is now annoyingly blocked off with fences (only the N side was blocked off before), so I didn't get any photos from on the bridge, only from beside it.

The crooked electricity poles are still crooked:

post-6971-0-30409800-1374858880.jpg

Preston-Humber bitumen train with almost the full height of the colliery headgear now in view:

post-6971-0-53571000-1374858881.jpg

Hull-Masboro steel train showing the speed restriction signs:

post-6971-0-63295200-1374858882.jpg

View to the E showing haul road with substantial gantry to prevent bridge strikes. Network Rail multipurpose unit was around - came from the Goole direction in the morning, and in the afternoon, it came into Hatfield station from the W, and reversed out again W along the Thorpe Marsh line. Couldn't tell what the modules were:

post-6971-0-85275600-1374859150.jpg

EDIT: 0951 York-York arr 1623 via Joan Croft, Goole (rev), Adwick, Doncaster (rev), Adwick, Hatfield (rev), Joan Croft

Much later edit: might have been a weedkiller working.

View from the road bridge by the station:

post-6971-0-58469300-1374859320.jpg

And the route round past Thorpe Marsh back in regular use (taken from the station footbridge):

post-6971-0-62368500-1374858883.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 9

Services are due to be fully back to normal on 29th - it's already proved its use as we had a points failure Selby yesterday. Gilberdyke was certainly a key place then!

Passed through yesterday on a Hull train for the first time........the landslide must have been something else to see first hand.

So why didn't you wave as you passed me?

• RMweb Gold

Been such a great thread to read through mapping how the railways overcome real disasters like this,

David

Indeed, and the very positive outcome is one in the eye for all those saying the present generation of railwaymen couldn't run a bath. Lots of positives.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well it's about a year since the line reopened, so I though a revisit was in order.

A word of warning for anyone planning to visit - Cuckoo Lane from the Hatfield (SE) side of the line is a bit churned up and muddy due to work at a water pumping station. However, the diverted bridleway to the NW side of the line was another story. It starts off OK, but then degenerates into the stickiest porridge-like mine waste muck for a while, completely clogging up my mudguards and brakes, and once you're out of that, there's a puddle the size of Lake Titicaca, which I only negotiated by lifting my bike over the fence, and walking along the nicely-raised bit of spoil heap the other side. So wellies or waders might be in order.

Anyway, there's still a lot of earthmoving taking place, seemingly bringing muck back from the new tip that they created near the M18, along the haul road created last year parallel to the railway:

post-6971-0-13185500-1406050632.jpg

The electricity poles are still askew:

post-6971-0-13234500-1406050638.jpg

But there are no speed restrictions visible, and the area close to the railway certainly doesn't look like it's going to cause any further problems:

post-6971-0-19174600-1406050641.jpg

Meanwhile, I nearly struck lucky with four trains in shot at once, but just too far away for a decent shot - this is cropped from my longest telephoto:

post-6971-0-42661400-1406050634.jpg

Then it was bike back in the car and on to Barnetby to meet up with Mallard60022, who reckoned it was too hot. Well it was a bit, but at least there was a breeze, and it helped to dry the mud off.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It seems incredible that it is nearly a year since the line re-opened to all trains. Now we are about to have the Selby swing-bridge closed to all services whilst the major works are carried out on it from next weekend - Hull Trains are being diverted via Goole. I wonder which freights will also be diverted via Goole? Interesting times lie ahead here.

All the best,

Market65.

...Hull Trains are being diverted via Goole....

Oh no, I'll have to go and get muddy all over again.

I'd imagine freight out of Hull for the Doncaster direction will go Goole-Hatfield, and for further north Goole-Knottingley.

Here's a bunch booked through Snaith next week: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SNI/2014/07/29/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Don't know how much of that's normal.

• RMweb Premium

Great shots matey. Yes Barnetby Le Wold was a tad warm but quite entertaining and I did have some good photography tips from EWD. I was also most impressed with EWD's Italian conversation skills (to long a story for here). Most useful whilst negotiating the 'wilds' of Hatfield no doubt?

Quack

P.S. It was a damn sight hotter back in 36E on my return.

• 11 months later...

I heard today that this colliery is to close by the end of the week, July 3rd........was originally planned for closure summer 2016,

Cheap imports, emphasis on renewables and large stocks at power stations given as the reasons.

• RMweb Gold

its already shut bob, last of the coal came up on tuesday

sickening that the reason given by a spokesman being "there is no market for our product"

spookily enough i'm working a train to and from hatfield and stainforth tomorrow, not in the colliery but should it be light i'll grab a few pics of what little you can see before it goes, as happened with daw mill, there one day, gone the rest

i wish i could say i had many a happy hour sat in the colliery siding there but i'd be lieing if i did, it was a god forsaken hell hole of a place to have to sit for hours waiting to be loaded and an awkward shunt to boot!

• RMweb Premium

its already shut bob, last of the coal came up on tuesday

sickening that the reason given by a spokesman being "there is no market for our product"

Well technically he is right.

As I understand it the massive expansion of Fracking in the USA (and possibly elsewhere) has lead to lots of power generators switching to oil and gas thus sending global coal prices plummeting. As such it is a LOT cheaper (even when shipping is factored in) to import the stuff than pay the prices UK producers were forced to charge (which only just about covered the costs of production and left very little to be had by the way of profits).

As with many things these days the only way to make such industries profitable is slap large import tariffs on the stuff coming in - but that is something that goes counter to the 'free trade / globalisation benefits everybody' mantra certain sections of our political class have been touting for years.

• 6 years later...

Postscript to the Hatfield story. They've erected a new bridge over the line, part of a road linking to the M18 junction, with big development plans for the area. See

https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/transport-streets-parking/dn7-hatfield-link-road

and

http://unity-yorkshire.com/masterplan/

The two headstocks are listed buildings - see:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1430590

There's very little left of the colliery itself other than those and the loading gantry visible in the photos below.

A couple of shots from the platform footbridge showing the new road bridge. It would be OK for photos if you have a ladder, a bike crossbar, or are 7 foot tall.

1648659485_Hatfieldnewbridge16jul21.jpg.325b243c92d19d502729487ce9b9c437.jpg

The bridge visible in the far distance is Hugh Hill Lane, beyond the landslip site, from where I took the photos earlier in this thread.

1063095366_Hatfieldnewbridge16jul21a.jpg.9aad5db443e569b02dafa420949c175b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3