Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46071258@N06/8469706195/in/photostream - on Flickr, attributed to the TPX website (Edit - Network Rail also have the image on their site now, so most likely theirs)

8469706195_49e7926daf.jpg
539843_467664359953872_1052947354_n by Swoody1500, on Flickr

That suggests it's moved further since the aerial shot was taken, as it's now obviously slewed and part buried the up line as well...

Northern Rail is still saying it might be clear by Monday, but I can't see that happening!

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 5

I doubt a month especially if it keeps raining. It's taken local government in Wales 2-3 months to stabilize small colliery slips (or even potential ones). On the other hand I suspect it wasn't costing their insurers £100/minute or whatever Network Rail will show is their costing for the event (including loss of traffic over the long term, reputational damage and everything else lawyers are paid to add to the bill)

Can't see moving it 50 yards right helping either. Thats an awful lot of unstable material that has to be stabilized or removed. If it all goes then being 50 yards away isn't going to be safe, 500 maybe 8)

If it was a sweepstake I think I'd put my pound nearer 12 months than one for a proper fix.

• RMweb Premium

That's one heck of a mess.

I can't see much passenger stuff going Donny, Gainsborough, Barnetby.  Trans Pennines may well/will terminate/turn round at Donny (or less likely Thorne - no facilities) and it will then probably be bus sub or change at Donny  & go to Hull with (maybe) bus over the bridge to Barton on Humber with a much enhanced shuttle on the Barton/Cleethorpes branch? There could also be shuttles between Scunny, Grimsby and Cleethorpes using the 'redundant' Donny/Scunny/ Cleethorpes stock?

I don't suppose the Trans Pennines can transfer to the Hull route but that would seem a solution in the shorter term whilst the unholy mess is sorted? I don't think Hull Trains are overloaded on the Donny Hull stretch but I could be wrong. If the former is the case then TP passengers could be encourage/enabled to transfer to HT to Hull and then join the Barton bus as mentioned above.

What will get b****red is the 'commuting' service in from the east to Donny on this route; bus sub will/would be horrible for those folks.

It will be very interesting to see how the logistics for this work out re passenger services and more freight through Gainsboro' will be interesting for me.

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The media have noticed at last!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277984/Yorkshire-rail-delays-Major-disruption-rail-passengers-Yorkshire-tracks-left-twisted-colliery-landslip.html

Looking at the Mail's pics, I don't think that 10mph TSR is going to work. ;)

At least the ground shunt is still working........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277984/Yorkshire-rail-delays-Major-disruption-rail-passengers-Yorkshire-tracks-left-twisted-colliery-landslip.html

The Beeb's got in on the act too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-21441070

• RMweb Premium

The two pictures i saw at work today certainly showed 2 of those lines still usable, not anymore though :O

The ground positon light that's still working made me chuckle!

Thats a monumental task to repair that for certain, the mother of all land slips!

There was a full report on BBC Look North (Yorkshire), coming soon on i-player 

I think we all have to be thankful that no trains were running on the line at the time as the consequences would of been disastrous.

Here is another shocking picture: http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-news/tracks-destroyed-by-pit-spoil-heap-1-5407306

• RMweb Premium

In view of the amount of movement, plus the fact that there is clearly pressure behind it (and I wonder if there are any old watercourses underneath it?) I suspect that a very large amount of material will have to be removed and/or re-graded to produce even a short term solution. I've only come across the sort of bigger slips which need to be back-filled and they seem to take tremendous amounts of material as what goes in can vanish as quickly as it's tipped. Here it's that process in reverse with potentially a very large amount of material moving both visibly and beneath the surface.

The whole area is "wet". Up until the dutch coming in and drained it in the middle ages the easiest way to travel around there was by boat !. To be fair Stainforth (where the colliery is) was on the edge of the wet lands. I've probably still got some geological info at home. I might have a look at the weekend.

Up until 1986, I used to live in Hatfield (which is a mile and a half away), we could hear the trains shunting at the loader on an evening.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

when i used to work into hatfield i always got some shut eye on the loco up by the ground frame end during loading (not a large bunker so generally 3 fills to load a train), i bet if the slip happened while i was sat there i probably wouldn't have noticed!!

• Like 1

The colliery is owned/operated by Hargreaves, I understand. This is a massive heap we're talking about, & I also hear that what seems to have started the heap moving was an old mine working collapsing. Initial movement was very slow, so wasn't really spotted, possibly not until the reason as to the cause of the rough riding leading to the 10mph TSR was being sought. It's just accelerating now, & the rain won't be helping either.

Bad times.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If they built a new alignment what sort of protection from a repeat event would be required and what form would it be?

If they built it further away from the tip (or where it has got to so far) they'd need to look up George Stephenson technique for crossing Chat Moss if Google maps views are any indication.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You bet me to it. It might work with magn-adhesion (If I have spelt it right) :O

Terry

• Like 1