Will Bachmann release another Evening Star?

Redditch 34

I would like to see Bachmann do another run of evening star by the price they are fetching on ebay there is a large demand out there and its a great model am sure that these would rush out of the shops.

matthew

Nice sentiments Matthew but you maybe want to change that sub-title. It's a personal wish not a fact that they're going to produce one!

Nice sentiments Matthew but you maybe want to change that sub-title. It's a personal wish not a fact that they're going to produce one!

I should have phrased it differently it is something i would like rather than something i know is going to fhappen

Guest TomTank

I should have phrased it differently it is something i would like rather than something i know is going to fhappen

Yeah but change the thread title, otherwise you are liable to get alot of angry RMweb users posting :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see Bachmann do another run of evening star by the price they are fetching on ebay there is a large demand out there and its a great model am sure that these would rush out of the shops.

matthew

I'm amazed they haven't already.Its a belter of a model.How much are they going for on ebay out of interest ?

I've edited the title. If it is ever re-issued (I believe it was always a once-only run) I would imagine there would be a price premium just above other 9Fs which would mean it probably wouldn't be much less than buying on ebay now; it certainly wouldn't be the price they were first released at.

I do have one here that I'd be open to decent offers on.

• RMweb Gold

I do have one here that I'd be open to decent offers on.

sorry gonna have to hit the report button, you are in violation of the classifieds rules please see below!!

???Items for sale must clearly indicate a sale price

:icon_lol:

tut tut tut!!

joking apart they do command a cracking price on Ebay, i got hold of a used one (ie been ran) for ??90 which went for a shade over ??200, i picked up the uber rare Hornby "oliver cromwell" the same day too, also for ??90 so i bacically got that for free as such

i bought a badly listed sound chipped evening star on ebay for ??140 which turned out had a tsunami chip in it (not loksound as advertised) i ended up taking the chip out and selling them separatly, the loco was in poor condition as the previous owner must have used a road drill and knife and fork to fit the chip but it still went for over ??100 with a honest description of the problems

must admit when i'm out and about i'm always on the lookout for another one, purely to put on ebay!!

Evening star is an awkward ###### to recreate. It's not just a simple case of renumbering. It is a complete repaint! I think the model they produced was "as built" rather than as preserved. There isn't much difference other than some nice shiny copper pipework. Alas I made a complete pigs ear of fitting the nameplates so I'll have to strip the deflectors n repaint. :(

Oh and I bought mine off a mate for ??60 :)

I would certainly second that one! Possibly a lightly weathered one to represent the working loco. Not sure if it got into much of a grubby state as I was not around in those days! A green Class 37 is another Bachmann must as they too are difficult to get unless you pay the ebay over top prices.

Very interesting post on the Evening Star

I've edited the title. If it is ever re-issued (I believe it was always a once-only run) I would imagine there would be a price premium just above other 9Fs which would mean it probably wouldn't be much less than buying on ebay now; it certainly wouldn't be the price they were first released at.

I also expected them to be run again...........

That explains why I have had "wild" offers for my Evening Star on youtube.

m

If the demand is there (and there certainly seems to be) then surely it would be in Bachmann's best interests to do another run...?

My own Bachmann Evening Star is the best runner I have - superb model, I've just not got a long enough layout to really test it sadly.

On a similar note, there's quite a few of the Collectors Club items or similarly "one run only" releases I think we'd all like to get our hands on - the Caledonian Fairburn, for me, was the one that got away...

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember but was it issued as a collectors club members only thing. Couldn't afford one at the time.

The only Collectors Club 9F was "Black Prince" which I have as well as Evening Star, both very nice models.

All the collector Club locos can be found here http://www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.com/ooscale_loco.htm

I do remember a quote direct from Bachmann that do not rerun the same model after producing it once, but luckily their definition of the same model is very narrow. Consider the BR blue A4 Sir Nigel Gresley has appeared once in 1996 I think with bright wheels and or valve gear (before chemical blackening of all wheels and valve gear was routine) with a double chimney. Then it appeared in 2004 weathered with a single chimney. Then again in 2007 I think it has appeared with fully blackened valve gear and wheels with double chimney without weathering. So the same model in the same livery has never been reissued identically to a previous version, but the differences only need to be minimal. Details from Ramsey's guide.

So as to Evening Star, at some time in its life it seems to have run without a shed plate on the front such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_92220_Evening_Star (look t the full size image) and other times with a shed plate http://www.raycam.co.uk/shildon-2.jpg. These photos seem fairly clear evidence, but it is not so easy to see in some pictures. I have no idea whether the recent Bachmann model was either of these variations or something slightly different, but as the real thing will have been painted a number of times in its life, the study of photos should show some small variation that gives and excuse for another, but not technically identical model.

Hi

Thanks for posting that Evening star photo from

by David Copper. I am surprised at how clean it is and looking at my Evening star that I weathered.....I may now have gone a little over board.

By the way the other link does not seem to work.

Fair play to the Driver/Fireman for keeping it so clean.

Here is a new Bachmann Evening Star beside a weathered one.

IMG_0766Medium.jpg

IMG_0775Medium.jpg

IMG_0770Medium.jpg

I had originally thought that the Brunswick green on the new Bachmann was a couple of shades too light so I took my shading from another photo I had seen on the net. Looking at the photo posted I think Bachmann got very close.

m

Archived