Will Bachmann release another Evening Star?

Redditch 34

The only mod I've risked doing to my Evening Star is to the chimney. As the double chimney is so short, the smokebox barrel is all too obvious inside it, so it's crying out for it to be opened out like the real thing.

If I remember correctly, drilling-out will destroy the chimney fixing.

You will be well advised to mark the original chimney position with tiny marks from a scalpel blade before drilling-out, so that you can glue the chimney back in its original location.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I would certainly second that one! Possibly a lightly weathered one to represent the working loco. Not sure if it got into much of a grubby state as I was not around in those days! A green Class 37 is another Bachmann must as they too are difficult to get unless you pay the ebay over top prices.

There are a number of photos around from BR days which show that Evening Star was allowed to get as dirty as any other 9F! Certainly it could be issued at the same level of weathering as Hornby Magazine's Jubilee "Bahamas!"

I hope that "Bahamas," will reappear in pristine condition, as this would be well within Bachmann's rules! I'm also hoping for the long firebox version of the Jubilee from Bachmann.

If I remember correctly, drilling-out will destroy the chimney fixing.

You will be well advised to mark the original chimney position with tiny marks from a scalpel blade before drilling-out, so that you can glue the chimney back in its original location.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well, my ES's chimney is still firmly attached! How's it fixed that makes drilling it likely to destroy it's fixing? (I used a small drill, then opened out with a file.) Is it just glued onto the smokebox?

Well, my ES's chimney is still firmly attached! How's it fixed that makes drilling it likely to destroy it's fixing? (I used a small drill, then opened out with a file.) Is it just glued onto the smokebox?

It's a while ago - I seem to remember some form of peg which coincided with one of the two drilled holes.

... or it may just have been that the drilled holes eliminated all of the glue on my model.

I'd suspect the former - or those Chinese assemblers must have a very good eye for freehand alignment !;)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 5 months later...

Any news when Evening Star might appear - as previously said it shouldn't really take all the long as it's just a re run of an existing - but popular model - have second hand prices taken a dive since Bachmann's announcement?

Hi Sweeps,

it's not quite the same - different tender to the first release. I believe the expected type to be BR1G tender (32-850A), where the previous was BR1F (32-850). Being a diesel person with a quiet interest in steam, I'm not sure what the differences are but it took me a little bit to tell the difference between releases.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ixion.

I think a light weather would be good as i can not imagine it ever got that filthy perhaps put a different shed allocation plate on as well.

I've seen pictures where it is filthy! It may have been cleaned but other than the green bits it was caked in dirt.

I wonder if railwaymen regarded it as anything other than just another loco?

Canton and the operating dept were certainly told to when it was there.. It was Evening Star used on the crack expresses as well mind.. A couple of years later though it was knackered a bit and dumped before getting to preservation.

Interesting hearing about a different tender though, I have the original release and want to P4 it for summer 1961 condition. I though Evening Star always had its WR 1G tender. Luckily i've got one of the cheap Modelzone specials which also had this tender on it rather than the larger tender most other released have had.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen pictures where it is filthy! It may have been cleaned but other than the green bits it was caked in dirt.

One of my supervisors (going back nearly 40 years) had been a Panel Foreman at Canton and claimed - probably correctly knowing Tom - to have been the first Foreman there to put out 92220 on a London job, mainly because the booked loco was failed close to train time and it was all he had available that was painted green and resonably clean, he got a rollicking for his trouble :( .

Archived