Wiring Tortoise motor

philsandy

I wonder if someone could confirm that I've understood the instructions re. wiring a Tortoise for a DCC system, and that the diagram below is correct?

Is the 9-12 V power supply to the DPDT switch from a seperate power bus than the bus that supplies all the track feeds, as this will be 16-18 volts?

Instruction sheet from Tortoise shows track feeds going to terminals 2 & 3 on the Tortoise,  am I right in thinking that these feeds don't actually carry any power to the Tortoise but are linked to the frog polarity switching?

post-17471-0-31594800-1362248793.png

• RMweb Gold

I don't have my Tortoise cribsheet in front of me, but basically there are a couple of mechanical switches inside the Tortoise case that enable changeover. So, yes, do not exceed 12v DC power for the Tortoise itself, since 9v is plenty, and gives a much more realistic slow movement of the points, and the track feeds have nothing whatever to do with the Tortoise's operation, but get switched to the live frog. I can't confirm that your depiction of connections 2/3/4 on the Tortoise is right - so check that. The DPDT switch ideally should be latching, and does not need a centre-off. You can safely leave a Tortoise with the power running, and this holds the switch rail to the check rail, while absorbing minimal current. Some of mine have been like this, i.e. power-connected, for a few years now!

• RMweb Premium

Ian is perfectly correct in that 9 volts is ok on terminals 1 and 8 and deffinately no more than 12!! Mine are closer to 12 volts i reckon but they've been running like this for about 6 years now without any failure. The machine has 2 internal change-over switches for frog (crossing polarity). Terminals 4 and 5 indeed go to a 'frog'. the rest go to their respective stock rails on mine or track feeds, basicly the same thing!

My 24 'torts' used to be controlled by the very same DPDT switches but i changed them all for switch decoders a couple of years ago. I use the NCE "Switch it" which will control 2 switch machines, this gives me the flexibility to control them via the DCC cab or the momentary buttons on the control panel.

Many thanks for your replies.

So could the wires from terminals 2 & 3 on the Tortoise go to the main DCC power bus, rather than connecting them to the dropper wires or stock rails?

Hi

Yes indeed they can.   :-)

Just ensure you have them the correct way around on the Tortoise 2 & 3 terminals or you'll probably get a short circuit occur if reversed.  :-)

Archived