Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

The Mk2fs - what can I say.  At long last Bachmann have finally listened.  This is fantastic news for post 1970s D&E modellers.  Looks like there is a dcc option too which is presumably for interior lighting.  Finally it will be great to match the detail and finish of the diesels with some superb aircon coaches in future with close couplings too as standard.  My ballpark estimate after discounting of around £35 per coach seems to be a pretty good guess if the stowage vans will retail at £40 and the non dcc Mk2fs retail at £30.

Glad that Bachmann are also releasing a useful initial line up to enable folk to start to build a decent rake up from day 1 including the BSO.  Sorry Hornby you had your chance to retool your 2Ds but now thats another avenue closed off to you for sitting on your laurels.

The DBSO Mk2f will also pave the way for more people to model Push/Pulls with the 47/7s.

So too the Mk1 stowage vans.

Thank you Bachmann.  At least we have plenty of time to save some money now and order those rakes.

Now, will they be a roaraway success and so necessitate a bulk pre-order in order to ensure you get some or does one take a chance and wait until they arrive but risk them selling out on pre-order..........

Great news - I wish Bachmann success with these announcements. Can't wait to see the Birdcage set. Still waiting for A2 60530 Sayajirao, a late crest K3 with a flat-sided tender, and a Standard 5MT lined black late crest, but mustn't be greedy.

Woah; blindsided!

Nothing that particularly grabs my attention (I wasn't holding out for more GCR stock, considering there's already three GC locos in the range), but what I do quite like about the announcement is that Bachmann are announcing more of the 'small and useful' type locos that Hornby tend to ignore in favour of the 'big and fast' variety.  Any coincidence that they're releasing two locos of which examples are preserved at the railways for which buildings are available from the scenecraft range?- the E4 at the Bluebell line and the Stanier mogul at the Severn Valley? 

I'm quite surprised that the D11/1 continues to be available solely in BR black; I'd have been throwing money at them had they done it in any prewar LNER livery.   

And who would've foreseen some SECR coaching stock to go with their 'C'? 

Guest jim s-w

Bump - all images to be added later after re-sizing.

Hi Andy

Theres a batch resize option in photoshop, should do all the work for you in a few minutes. If not theres plenty of batch resizers free on the interweb, no need to slave over a hot computer :)

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Premium

If DCC controlled lighting is being integrated into coaches, will this be via connections to a DCC decoder in a loco, or via a dedicated decoder in the coach itself? If dedicated, is there going to finally be an inexpensive function-only decoder produced to go with the coaches?

E4 whey hey, thought they might do that in the Bluebell theme especially as I'm finishing a couple of Dean sidings kits. Lots hope they get the batch size right this time.

Birdcage carriages excellent but please Bachmann keep the glue away from the windows.

A few wagons to tempt me particular the warflats.

Shame the Class 44 hasn't been re-released

Mixed results this year, with more interest in the coaching stock than anything else. Thompson and Mk. 2d stock is fantastic news, but sneeking in is the Inspection saloon, no doubt scaled up from the N gauge society one. I will certainly be getting one or two of them.

A lot of reliveries seem to give Bachmann a chance to catch up with a lot of them carried over. Sensible. One or two in there that some have asked for like the GBRf 20 and DRS 57. The class 24/1 will please transition and blue diesel guys.

Midland lot will adore Bachmann for the 1F and Stanier, the Southern boys E4 will please them too. As for wanting North Eastern engines, Im praying to Bachmann for another year....

• RMweb Premium

Quite a wide range of interests catered for there with both the new items and those to be reissued.  

I am intrigued at the prospect of DCC hailed coaching stock unless it's for operation of lighting.  If it were confined to the DBSO I could understand (for control purposes when leading the train) and surely we're not yet at the stage where we can expect DCC cooking in the buffet!!!???

Personally I foresee a need being established for all the three NBL Warships and another in green is especially welcome.  I can happily accommodate 4 and maybe rather more POTs which is a welcome and logical addition to the NPCCS range. I can also justify a full rake of air-cons and an 03 but one step at a time as the Mk1 Sleepers (from 2012) are also listed as "Production stage" so won't be far away now.  

No BEP?  Ah well.  My passengers will have to wait another year for their curly sandwich and cup of Maxpax.  ;)

The spread of DCC options to coaching stock is a first, I think, and Bachmann seem finally to have woken up to how far behind they've fallen in this field (the success of their Mk1s (and, sort of, Mk2s) distracting from the poor quality of the rest of their coaching stock range). The brand new Thompsons and the SECR stock are very welcome.

The growth in very small engines is intriguing - I'm sure I wasn't alone in being attracted by the Wickham, and the 1F is a must-have. Still no small LNER J class, though. What is it that turns off manufacturers to the J classes?

More info on the new 158s, too, including the RRP - which also seems to show that Hornby was not gouging with the 2BIL.

Overall a nice, sensible programme from Bachmann, with what appears to be something for almost everyone.

Paul

Edit: butterfingers

• RMweb Gold

How many people will decide they absolutely have to have a Midland Railway 1F now, whereas at 10 o'clock this morning the thought had probably not entered their heads?!  ;)

Well, one, definitely!

Well I'm in the planning stage of a layout closely based on Dursley in Gloucestershire, so at least one wanted it before 10am! :boast:

What a fantastic range with, surely, something for nearly everyone. I model BR blue both pre- and post-TOPS, and there is plenty in both eras; Locos, coaches and wagons. And while I don't now and probably never will model SR steam the E4 and SECR coaches certainly grabbed my attention. Sorry Hornby, but most of my purchases this year will (again) be from Bachmann.

Looks good ,few surprises there, E4 for one!

Birdcages - looking forward to!

Thompsons - will they have close coupling mechanisms? (Hope so)

Other Gems - Post Office Stowage - I'd hoped but not expecetd.

Sadly, no other new Mk1s (FO, BFK etc etc)

MK2Fs great for Modern Image.

Too much to take in, exciting 18 months ahead, and just as well it is 18mo, the wallet couldn't take it all!

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the 24 is new tooling. Though I have what I need by another route it'd be good to see a rtr model without the compromised cab shape and with a better underframe than the current Bachmann model. If so one's hopes could  also be raised for an improved 25 too

Archived