Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

It has been pointed out elsewhere that the new 43 is new tooling. I reckon we will see an upgraded body with correct prototype fidelity, upgraded detail to match current releases and hopefully mated to the current Warship drivetrain which is superb. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree on the drive train.  Robust, purposeful and sounds powerful with it.   Couple 16 Bachmann Mk1s on the back and off she goes without a hint of complaint.  Or if you run two in tandem they do just as well without being power-hungry or jerking and fighting each other.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Why is it when a thread like this is started it has to descend into unpleasantness and ridicule? Why am I not allowed to express an opinion on this damn forum without the RM mafia intervening? Get a life (Phil); these are model trains not edicts from UN.

You were able to express an opinion, and someone else posted a contrary one. That's not unpleasantness at all, just simple disagreement.

I wholly agree with your position if it helps, there's no need for any more DH models whatsoever, ever again. But I cheerfully accept that many here will disagree, and some of them may even have what appear to them to be valid reasons for holding such views. Nowt so strange as folk!

• Like 2

Michael Delamar, on 15 Mar 2013 - 15:17, said:

I thought this may be of interest, from a railway magazine during the bad winter of 1963, it was the warning panel that interested me, if its not an effect of the photo.

Michael

I knew I’d come across this before… and found it on page 21 of Modern Railways Pictorial.. Profile 12 The ‘Warships’ ... a photo of that same engine (D845 Sprightly - taken on 26 June 1963) with that very same warning panel. The description reads

“Before the decision to apply yellow warning panels to all locomotives, a number of experiments were carried out on BR Regions. In 1962, the WR outshopped No. D845 Sprightly with a small yellow surround to its headcode box and a grey cab roof”

The Profile 12 edition came out Feb-Apr 1986… and cost £1.25!

Cheers

• Like 2

With the prototype the best way to identify if a loco was a Class 42 or Class 43 was by it's number so in 4mm would anyone but the most fanatical modeller notice the detailed differences? Does anyone know which had Class had more rivets? :jester:

XF

There were some subtle differences between the two types which stand out a mile to some folk XF2! I know I've said this before, but the current 42 is a very good model let down by the way the cab windows are heavily molded, (there's no solid central window pillar on the clear plastic insert, just an odd looking gap between the two screens) especially compared to newer models like the Dapol 22 and Western, so I honestly do think a re-tool for the 42 and new tooling for the 43 is the way to go. There are front end, bodyside and roof differences between the 42s and 43s (I refer anyone who's interested to my mention in post #11 of the bodyside weld line below the cab doors). If both types were sat side by side the differences would become more apparent. Just because some of us want these new models to be right doesn't mean we're necessarily 'fanatical'. To some folk (including me in my misinformed youth!), all rebuilt Bullied Pacifics look the same, but that didn't stop Hornby tooling up for the West Country / Battle Of Britain machines after they'd done the Merchant Navy... ;)

Do we need any more Hydraulics...? I say yes we do, looking to the future it seems daft to tool up for a new 43 yet have the old 42 alongside it in the catalogue, doing both (hopefully, at some point) makes a lot of sense as in a few years time, the existing 42 will start to look very old indeed. I for one applaud Bachmann for announcing the 43...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just going back to Kernow MRC for a moment, I hope they do not take on a limited 43 at present; or a least until the original Warship (D600 class) they have commissioned is with us.

Just going back to Kernow MRC for a moment, I hope they do not take on a limited 43 at present; or a least until the original Warship (D600 class) they have commissioned is with us.

Oooh, here's a thought. Does this mean we now have a "full house" in 00 when these all arrive, or is there a class we're still missing from the Western DHs?

Two good finds there! In colour photos the grey cab roof strip on D845 looks a very bright shade of white. It only carried this variation for a short time, from 30th August 1961 (OLE flashes were also added sometime in September) until it re-emerged from Swindon  on 13th February 1964 with the standard sized yellow warning panel and the cab roof was repainted green.

A quick run down of liveries for the 43s shows how many variations each one carried - D833 to D858 were all delivered in all over green without yellow panels, while D859 to D865 had the yellow panels from new, most were delivered without any OLE flashes and had them fitted later on, there were two versions of maroon, and four versions of blue due to different number / logo permutations  :

D833 - green, green + SYP, blue

D834 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, maroon + FYE, blue 

D835 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D836 - green, green + SYP, blue

D837 - green, green + SYP, blue

D838 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, maroon + FYE

D839 - green, green + SYP, blue

D840 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP

D841 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D842 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, maroon + FYE, blue

D843 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D844 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D845 - green, green + experimantal SYP + white cab roof strip, green + standard SYP, blue

D846 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D847 - green, green + SYP, blue

D848 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP (also said to have been seen temporarily in plain green in March 1966 with no bodyside stripe and coach roundels in place of the BR crest, before being painted into maroon livery))

D849 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D850 - green, green + SYP, blue

D851 - green, green + SYP, blue

D852 - green, green + SYP, blue

D853 - green, green + SYP, two versions of blue

D854 - green, green + SYP, blue

D855 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D856 - green, green + SYP, blue

D857 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, two versions of blue

D858 - green, green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D859 - green + SYP, blue

D860 - green + SYP, blue

D861 - green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D862 - green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D863 - green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

D864 - green + SYP, two versions with blue (each with experimental 'burnt umber' painted skirting)

D865 - green + SYP, maroon + SYP, blue

Take your pick...!

Edit : I'd strongly recommend anyone remotely interested in these North British beasts to invest in a copy of the Irwell Press 'Book Of The Warships'.... I've no connection to it but it has all you need to know about them..... £25 well spent!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

Why is it when a thread like this is started it has to descend into unpleasantness and ridicule? Why am I not allowed to express an opinion on this damn forum without the RM mafia intervening? Get a life (Phil); these are model trains not edicts from UN.

Apologies if you took offence oldlugger but i find it strange that you are begging the manufacturer not to produce a model in it's dedicated thread simply because, in your opinion, the market is swamped with the type of model people who read this thread would like.

I dont have a discernable attitude as i think you'll find if you wander through my history, but i do believe forum threads need to be realistic.

EDIT

Apologies for the glitch in the post. I didn't realise it had posted four times !!!

Edited by Phil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I think a clue in to Bachmann's attitude here is that they have not been prepared to take the Lima route and issue their class 42 with class 43 running numbers. Hence the new model...

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Warship tooling is ancient and does need an upgrade.

The moulded scavenger grilles need to go and as Nidge mentions the cab needs attention too.

Bachmann are gradually working through their best selling models, and I for one welcome this upgrade wholeheartedly.

If they do as well as the peaks here it will be a terrific model.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

A slight correction to be made to the list I posted above on post '36 : I thought I was losing the plot as I thought D844 carried maroon / full yellow ends before going blue... sure enough, Martin Street (Diesel Traction Group and Warship guru) advises that this was ommitted by mistke from 'The Book Of The Warships'.... it carried this variation from March '68 until the end of 1970 when it went blue.

;o)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A slight correction to be made to the list I posted above on post '36 : I thought I was losing the plot as I thought D844 carried maroon / full yellow ends before going blue... sure enough, Martin Street (Diesel Traction Group and Warship guru) advises that this was ommitted by mistke from 'The Book Of The Warships'.... it carried this variation from March '68 until the end of 1970 when it went blue.

;o)

Like this then?

post-5471-0-74724400-1363821534.jpg

Mike.

Edit for details.

Exeter St Davids.

As far as I can work out from my notes;

806 on 1V09.

844 on 1C50.

Hope both these trains were at Exeter at the same time!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 11

I think they would be so fideley and get broken off easily. What might be good is if Bachmann did a detail pack that had an 'opened hatch lid' that you could glue or slot in place.

Wonder if Bachmann will laser scan either 821 or 832 and offer an updated 42 too??  :no:

Hmmmmmmm i wonder if anyone has already thought of that? :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely shot... Any details other than Exeter ? Taken between April 1968 and December 1970... and more importantly.... do you have any more crackers like this??? PLEASEEEEEEEEE  :O  :O 

You can have this one then.,

post-5471-0-53834100-1364289357.jpg

I'll dig out my books and get some more info.

Mike.

Edit for details.

Exeter SP.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 3