39-650 BR MK2F FO First Open Blue & Grey
39-650DC BR MK2F FO First Open Blue & Grey DCC
39-652 BR MK2F FO First Open InterCity
39-652DC BR MK2F FO First Open InterCity DCC
39-675 BR MK2F TSO Tourist Second Open Blue & Grey
39-675DC BR MK2F TSO Tourist Second Open Blue & Grey DCC
39-677 BR MK2F TSO Tourist Second Open InterCity
39-677DC BR MK2F TSO Tourist Second Open InterCity DCC
39-685 BR MK2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet Blue & Grey (Preserved)
39-685DC BR MK2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet Blue & Grey (Preserved) DCC
39-686 BR MK2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet InterCity
39-686DC BR MK2F RFB Restaurant First Buffet InterCity DCC
39-700 BR MK2F BSO Brake Second Open Blue & Grey
39-700DC BR MK2F BSO Brake Second Open Blue & Greym DCC
39-701 BR MK2F BSO Brake Second Open InterCity
39-701DC BR MK2F BSO Brake Second Open InterCity DCC
39-725DC BR MK2F DBSO Driving Brake Second Open Blue & Grey DCC
39-726DC BR MK2F DBSO Driving Brake Second Open ScotRail DCC

Interesting to see a DBSO - presumably only corridor fitted for original Glasgow-Edinburgh use. I wonder if it'll eventually evolve into an Anglia or NR version? Or How long before a Ltd Ed version is announced.

I guess there'll now be a mass sale of Airfix/Dapol/Hornby aircon Mk2's?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great news - at last some decent stock to hang behind my large logo 47s and 50s.

The reappearance of the Mk2a TSO in NSE is nice to see as well - all those Ebay sharks will be disappointed!

• Like 1

Great news - at last some decent stock to hang behind my large logo 47s and 50s.

The reappearance of the Mk2a TSO in NSE is nice to see as well - all those Ebay sharks will be disappointed!

Yes I am pleased about the release of the NSE mark 2a - interesting to see that it has a completely different code as opposed to a lettered suffix.

I wonder how well the blue/grey RFB will sell? Strikes me as a coach that may end up in the bargain bin.

for the DBSO i reckon in addition to ceiling lights for the seated area, bank on a cab light, head and tail lights and and possibly an illuminated destination blind (if they had these). switches accessed above the cab roof like the 350 desiro.

I agree that the RFB could be the ugly duckling of the range and end up in the bargain bin compared to the more widespread open coaches.  I dont recall seeing many of these in BR days.

you can almost smell the limited runs being eyed up by various retailers now.......anglian, swallow, scotrail, intercityscotrail, FGW, virgin XC and WC, caledonian sleeper, and with Dapols Class 73 coming soon we can be certain some GatEx aircons will eventually follow or be commissioned.  makes sense.

not sure we need to lay any criticism on anybody wishing to sell their old Mk2s on ebay to make way for the new stuff.   whats wrong with that?

Edited by Mod3

not sure we need to lay any criticism on anybody wishing to sell their old Mk2s on ebay to make way for the new stuff.   whats wrong with that?

I think people are just referring to the price TSOs have been fetching while in short supply: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-39-352-NETWORK-SOUTHEAST-MK2-TSO-COACH-/200899837453?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ec6903e0d&nma=true&si=CLkz0oDCzYVRrU4G3Hs8ssK3%252F9c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

for the DBSO i reckon in addition to ceiling lights for the seated area, bank on a cab light, head and tail lights and and possibly an illuminated destination blind (if they had these). switches accessed above the cab roof like the 350 desiro.

I agree that the RFB could be the ugly duckling of the range and end up in the bargain bin compared to the more widespread open coaches.  I dont recall seeing many of these in BR days.

you can almost smell the limited runs being eyed up by various retailers now.......anglian, swallow, scotrail, intercityscotrail, FGW, virgin XC and WC, caledonian sleeper, and with Dapols Class 73 coming soon we can be certain some GatEx aircons will eventually follow or be commissioned.  makes sense.

Maybe about time you looked at a DBSO ToF - a destination blind  :no:

I paid a small fortune for my Mk2d's last year.  I dare say the new Bachy one will cost me less than what these old Hornby offerings costs me  :(

ill just have to take it on the chin. 

A 2d is a different beast to a 2f and as they ran in mixed rakes were easily picked out.

• Like 1

Cue lots of limited editions in yellow.......................

Cheers,

Mick

And thay will be wrong, won't they Mick ;) .... As nearly all yellow 2d/e/f's so far have bits filled, added, taken away, added again somewhere else, taken away yet again, holes, blanking plates, added boxes, lights etc ... Glad I have a selection of detailed pics of what I want to do with my cheap 2d's :).

HOWEVER, having said all that, each to their own with the Ltd Ed market ...

Mike

• Like 3

The original idea to reuse 2f's and other air con stock came with the realisation with the HST fleet coming online just years after the mark 2 aircons had been built in 1979 50 plus were known to be "surplus"

The main thrust began in 1987 with the rest being complete by early 90's, ten years after the scheme to recycle thrm into catering vehicles.

I would think most would have been painted in intercity with swallow branding coming later.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

And thay will be wrong, won't they Mick ;) .... As nearly all yellow 2d/e/f's so far have bits filled, added, taken away, added again somewhere else, taken away yet again, holes, blanking plates, added boxes, lights etc ...

Mike

Probably only 1256 and 5981 are unaltered in NR use.

Cheers,

Mick (also with a supply of just enough Mk2's to fulfil my yellow plans)

As Swallow arrived in 1987 you'll find that all the RFB conversions (and the similar RLO Lounge Cars) wore swallow from the outset.

Good opportunity for Bachmann to have a complete (and correct) Virgin rake. I'm amazed they haven't gone for these as well.

• Like 1

I did try to edit my post.. but I couldn't for some reason save the changes...

Tsot's would seem to have been finnished by Ilford with br intercity buffet branding but yes the Rfb's seem to be swallow!

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

I did try to edit my post.. but I coulfnt for some reason save the changes...

Tsot's would seem to have been finnished by Ilford with br intercity buffet branding but yes the Rfb's seem to be swallow!

Ian

I'm gonna be really rotten to you now, sorry.

The Mk2D TSOTs were converted by Wolverton and York in 1980, being blue and grey at the time. I will agree that Ilford would certainly have repainted some of them into executive but only the RMBTs (6652, 6661, 6662 and 6665) carried the buffet branding on the coach sides. You may well be correct that Ilford did the conversions from TSOT to RMBT when they lost two sections of passenger seats instead of the original one section. In addition they did not have any of the windows filled unlike the RFBs.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good opportunity for Bachmann to have a complete (and correct) Virgin rake. I'm amazed they haven't gone for these as well.

And when they do, I'm gonna buy a rake of them, de-brand them and stick 'em behind Tornado.........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Harris mark2 book page 125 has a pic of rmbt ex tsot 6661 (6611) intercity buffet branding dated as being converted April 86, it states Ilford EMUD carried out several conversions for intercity during this period.

It seems the original tsot conversion was budgeted for £4000 per vehicle.

I know Rfb were a different breed!

Ian

I'm gonna be really rotten to you now, sorry.

The TSOTs were converted by Wolverton and York in 1980, being blue and grey at the time. I will agree that Ilford would certainly have repainted some of them into executive but only the RMBTs (6652, 6661, 6662 and 6665) carried the buffet branding on the coach sides. You may well be correct that Ilford did the conversions from TSOT to RMBT when they lost two sections of passenger seats instead of the original one section. In addition they did not have any of the windows filled unlike the RFBs.

Edited by Ian Fisher