Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

The 67s are not a prob :sungum: , didn't realise that they used to be T'n'T though.

The modern OHL flashes are a simple fix and I have some orange cantrail transfers knocking about somewhere.

Thanks.

Every single time I shot this set it was 67016 and 67017 as well (I know others worked it though, including the 'Canada' one)

The maroon brake was the usual one, a Mk2d modified with disabled toilet, the reserve brake was a 2e or 2f in blue/grey though so fairly easy to do from the announced releases.

67017_ExeterStDavids_100610%20%284%29-L.

• Like 4

Noting that the deferred 2012 R4563 Hornby Blue/Grey Mk2d BSO is not now due until September (2013).

http://www.ehattons.com/51171/Hornby_R4563_Mk2d_BR_Intercity_Blue_Grey_Open_Second_Brake_Withdrawn_from_2012_range/StockDetail.aspx

In view of Bachmann's announcement is it really worth them (Hornby) bothering with this one now?

Until Sunday it was going to be about the only Hornby item that I was likely to purchase in 2013.

Edited by jonathan452

Yes!

If you want a 2d that will match other models.

I hope Bachmann get the character spot on, the Airfix, GMR, Mainline, Dapol and now finally Hornby 2d's are not too bad a model, just lacking in tumblehome and accurate window shape.

For their longevity its still not that bad a model, but an upto date 2f mmmmmm just what is needed

Ian

Noting that the deferred 2012 R4563 Hornby Blue/Grey Mk2d BSO is not now due until September (2013).

http://www.ehattons.com/51171/Hornby_R4563_Mk2d_BR_Intercity_Blue_Grey_Open_Second_Brake_Withdrawn_from_2012_range/StockDetail.aspx

In view of Bachmann's announcement is it really worth them (Hornby) bothering with this one now?

Until Sunday it was going to be about the only Hornby item that I was likely to purchase in 2013.

i had one on order.  order now cancelled. think it was going to cost £24 versus £25 from Bachmanns new 2f version

I will be getting some of the intercity ones. I like the Hornby MK2s and will be keeping them, the couplers let them down though. I would have thought for the money they charge the could have updated to NEM. Something thankfully Bachmann takes care of. :) 

• RMweb Premium

I will be getting some of the intercity ones. I like the Hornby MK2s and will be keeping them, the couplers let them down though. I would have thought for the money they charge the could have updated to NEM. Something thankfully Bachmann takes care of. :)

I wonder what height the NEM pockets will be at? Same as the Mk1's or standard NEM height?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Thanks for all the info, chaps, most helpful.

I think a mixed rake of Mk2f should do the job, three blue/grey and one Intercity with either a pair of 67s, 67/57, 67/66 all T'n'T. For special occasions a nice Class 60 combo.

There you go Mr Bachmann you have at least sold four of them just to me. Just don't botch them up :nono: . :no:

• Like 1

I like the idea of a dcc lighting option, the only snag is in blue/grey most will have run with a Mk1 restaurant buffet between first and second, and in Intercity livery with a Mk3 RFM (bar Cross Country and a few Anglia region high density Norwich-London rakes). So no catering after dark!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I paid a small fortune for my Mk2d's last year.  I dare say the new Bachy one will cost me less than what these old Hornby offerings costs me  :(

ill just have to take it on the chin.

They are different vehicles so no duplication, these replace the old Lima vehicles.

I will get some. And they will be running with Airfix 2Ds & 2Es, various buffets in mixed sets (like the real trains).

Behind

• Like 1

They are different vehicles so no duplication, these replace the old Lima vehicles.

I will get some. And they will be running with Airfix 2Ds & 2Es, various buffets in mixed sets (like the real trains).

well yes because the clue is in the D and the F :)

fact is I cant see many running Ds with Fs as the tumblehome wont match and the newer models will generally not look right next to brand tooled vehicles and thats why I would rather buy a whole new fleet even if that meant my rakes werent exactly prototypical in make up for my era/region.

Edited by ThaneofFife

many kits available for lighting up the buffet cars so there should be no catering in the dark.  or you can make up your lighting for the catering vehicles (ive done mine already and also the BG vans).  its very easy to do and will give a full illuminated rake.

dont forget too that you could consider the Mk2f  RFB coach with DCC option.

many kits available for lighting up the buffet cars so there should be no catering in the dark.  or you can make up your lighting for the catering vehicles (ive done mine already and also the BG vans).  its very easy to do and will give a full illuminated rake.

dont forget too that you could consider the Mk2f  RFB coach with DCC option.

I know there are kits for lighting out there, however, none that I know of are dcc controlled so might be a bit awkward to mix and match. As for the RFB, it is only suitable for Intercity Cross-Country and some Anglia rakes (which certainly on the ones I used to catch were matched with the high-density 76 seater converted FOs, I forget whether Mk2e or f at the moment) with the blue-grey RFB being a complete fiction apart from one fictional liveried preserved example.

Personally I doubt I'll be buying lit examples as ironically my fast lines will be non-DCC, as I have far too many venerable AC electrics to convert which will require hard wiring which I'm loathe to do, I think though that the idea is good and if it marks the start of a programme to eventually retrofit the idea to other stock it would be a nice idea. Just put the blue-grey Mk1 catering stock first in the queue!

I'm still pleased with the announcement and will be looking for a complete blue-grey set and an Intercity rake with or without lights.

Other than an a advance (fingers crossed) in shape of the forthcoming models. The original 2d models were /are good but just fail on a few minor details. The windows are just not quite the right shape and the tumblehome just needs a little more of a curve to it that can be corrected if thats your bent, as can the window frames with products from Southern Pride a vinyl sticker or Extreme Etchings steel window frames.

Its your railway run what you like..just dont mix the eth indexes!

Ian

These are just what i need but was hoping to run them in mixed rakes with the airfix mk2d's.