Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

On the loco shed too by the looks. Presume it was a cripple needing repair maybe ?

....... and what colour is it?

Unlined maroon, weathered unlined crimson (blood); or the mysterious and misleading "early maroon" much referred to by John Lewis in his Wild Swan GWR coaching stock books?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry, can't help mentioning the LMS coach...........nice.

P

Looks like M30475M built at Newton Heath in 1926 as #6301 to Period I panelled design (much of it removed by this date). Ex-works finish and silver roof, a finish revived in the early 1960s. Maybe just parked there to be attached to a train later.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I have mentioned in my layout thread the 64XX is my worst runner. Bought a circle of Hornby track today so things can be run-in, but having read some of the above posts, I think I will take it apart and look for the tight spot.

Be aware of Bachmann,s square wheel syndrome!

I had a 7F and C class were one wheel was slightly off centre. The 7F also had deformed side rods. Put them both right after an evenings work.

• 1 year later...

Thanks I've removed those front end comes down ok but back seems wedged any idea how I can release it?

Apart from pushing the front back up and then trying to pull the back down first or maybe carefully tapping/shaking it, I don't know, mine is a loose fit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Further to previous posts, the loco now runs beautifully - smooth and quiet, all traces of former gremlins now vanished.

Guess I'll be keeping it now - there's no way I could convince the most reasonable of model shop owners (and I bought it from one of the best) that it's not fit for purpose.

Hi,

Two years on and I struck exactly the same issue with 6424, moderate grinding noise when running but return to UK from Aus is just not on for me.

Without the body shell attached, this ran as seamlessly as my 5775, purrfectly you might say, quietest engines I've ever owned. Further exploration showed that there is a very small tolerance between the rearmost gear and the inside of the cab front. We were the unlucky ones where the gear just rubs against the wall on our models.  With time you have probably eroded away enough plastic for the problem to resolve.

My solution was first to try running in for a further 2 hrs, when this had no effect out came my scalpel and I now have a genuine firebox opening as the wall is already recessed and quite thin there! This with a bit of further trimming fully resolved the issue for me.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold

My 64xx is, fortunately, a very good runner but not perfect; it is controllable down to a very slow speed and can be made to come to a smooth stop but starting is always with a slight but noticeable jerk to about a scale walking pace.  As the loco is used for passenger auto work, and real 64s were pretty smart off the mark, this is not a problem for me, but 'good enough for passenger work' is not high praise on my railway and the loco shares this dubious honour with a Hornby 27xx, not a model with the world's greatest reputation for good running (this is also restricted to passenger work on my miner's workman's service).

My Baccy 57xx, using fundamentally the same design of chassis, motor, and drive train, runs far better and is a perfectly behaved shunting engine, as is my ancient, ex-Mainline, 56xx recently re-chassis-ed with a modern version, which involved a bit of faffing and fitting.  The only reason I can come up with for the variable performance is that performances vary within quality control specifications, and one is simply better than the other.  But I would be a lot less happy with the 64's performance if it did freight work!  It is nowhere near as good a runner as the Westward kit it replaced, and that chassis had the major drawback of having been built by a hamfisted idiot, me...

My 64xx is, fortunately, a very good runner but not perfect; it is controllable down to a very slow speed and can be made to come to a smooth stop but starting is always with a slight but noticeable jerk to about a scale walking pace.  As the loco is used for passenger auto work, and real 64s were pretty smart off the mark, this is not a problem for me, but 'good enough for passenger work' is not high praise on my railway and the loco shares this dubious honour with a Hornby 27xx, not a model with the world's greatest reputation for good running (this is also restricted to passenger work on my miner's workman's service).

My Baccy 57xx, using fundamentally the same design of chassis, motor, and drive train, runs far better and is a perfectly behaved shunting engine, as is my ancient, ex-Mainline, 56xx recently re-chassis-ed with a modern version, which involved a bit of faffing and fitting.  The only reason I can come up with for the variable performance is that performances vary within quality control specifications, and one is simply better than the other.  But I would be a lot less happy with the 64's performance if it did freight work!  It is nowhere near as good a runner as the Westward kit it replaced, and that chassis had the major drawback of having been built by a hamfisted idiot, me...

Under DC or DCC was that?

My comments were with a Zimo 6 Pin installed and I found it ran best with their recommended settings for CVs 2,5,6 to produce a "Clipped linear Speed Curve" (10,160, 90). With lower CV6 it was more sluggish but this might better suit shunting which I've yet to try. 

• RMweb Gold

Under DC or DCC was that?

My comments were with a Zimo 6 Pin installed and I found it ran best with their recommended settings for CVs 2,5,6 to produce a "Clipped linear Speed Curve" (10,160, 90). With lower CV6 it was more sluggish but this might better suit shunting which I've yet to try. 

DC.  I'm too much of a Luddite for anything else!

• Like 1

My 64XX stalls when going over a double slip slowly, the 8750 does not thanks to its sprung axle, having read the comments above, I can get the 8750 to run slower, however I have had that engine for 5 years now where as the 64XX is only a few months old.

While the 64XX stalls, the much smaller Dapol Sentinel does not and can run slower too.

My 64XX stalls when going over a double slip slowly, the 8750 does not thanks to its sprung axle, having read the comments above, I can get the 8750 to run slower, however I have had that engine for 5 years now where as the 64XX is only a few months old.

While the 64XX stalls, the much smaller Dapol Sentinel does not and can run slower too.

The cure you probably won't want to hear, but it is fitting a DCC decoder and keep-alive.

• RMweb Gold

Have to say that, despite the slightly jerky starts which I can live with in a passenger loco, mine runs well through insulfrog turnouts.  Don't have any slips, though.  Might be worth checking your pickups JS, but of course if the wheelbase coincides with the insulfrogs on your slip (diamonds might have the same issue) then both sets of pickup wheels will be over dead frogs simultaneously and you are up a creek without a paddle except for either installing DCC and stayalives, or live frogs which you probably want to avoid the wiring complications of, or providing pickup on the centre wheelset, again not probably what you wanted to hear!

If it runs with a Baccy autocoach attached, then you could presumably arrange extra pickup from that, but it would mean that the loco and trailer would be permanently coupled, which is not always practicable; there is no point in it if your loco detaches and runs light to shed through the problem slip, or is used for other work besides auto.  Have to say I don't like permanent coupling of locos; it is un-prototypical and hinders operation.  The 8750 has a slightly longer wheelbase which might be making the difference, and a Sentinel is a different beast altogether, but my 57xx, with the same chassis as your 8750, is a smoother runner and starts beautifully; it is, however, partiuclarly sensitive to dirt on the wheel treads and has to be rigorously kept clean to achieve it's best performance.

As the slip is on the mainline, I just make sure she has enough speed to carry her over it.

I have only the (superior!) Airfix auto coach, which it shares with the Dapol 14XX. The 64xx for early BR sessions, the 14xx for late sessions.

I do do DCC (and sound) but this model is not earmarked for conversion. The cost of going through a fleet of 200 plus models is too much. In any case the family laptop is the DCC controller, meaning on my home layout, most running is good old fashioned DC and cab control.

• 1 month later...

I haven't yet done my new 64XX but have all my 57XX. See my Hintock thread below for examples. Post #1914 of June 6 2017.

I used Fox decals after removing the GWR with patience and a sharp razor blade.

Edited by john flann

Have Bachmann issued a 64xx with GREAT WESTERN livery, as opposed to GWR? If not has anyone reliveried one?

This is a useful resource for info on most model releases. 

https://www.modelraildatabase.com/classes/details/77/

Here I'm on the Class 64xx page, you'll see the answer (in modern times) is no, only GWR or BR. Somewhere on their site they list how far back thru the Bachmann and Hornby catalogues they've covered

Have Bachmann issued a 64xx with GREAT WESTERN livery, as opposed to GWR? If not has anyone reliveried one?

From talking to Bachmann at one of the shows, I am not convinced they will because of the possible backlash of a early 1930's livery with a 1940's topfeed + other modifications.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

As the slip is on the mainline, I just make sure she has enough speed to carry her over it.

I have only the (superior!) Airfix auto coach, which it shares with the Dapol 14XX. The 64xx for early BR sessions, the 14xx for late sessions.

I do do DCC (and sound) but this model is not earmarked for conversion. The cost of going through a fleet of 200 plus models is too much. In any case the family laptop is the DCC controller, meaning on my home layout, most running is good old fashioned DC and cab control.

I mentioned the Baccy auto because it already has pickups fitted when you take it out of the box, presumably for coach lighting but that is not fitted.  You would need to fit your own to an Airfix one.  I don't agree that the old Airfix is superior, both are good models though the Baccy has proper lamp irons and underframe detail.  Have to say that the Airfix was a game changer when it was first introduced, though, way superior to any coach on the rtr scene at the time!  My auto train has one of each, with the Baccy as the driving trailer to show off those lamp irons!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a Bachmann 64xx No.6419 in BR late crest weathered. I bought it via the online shop at the "H" lot in Liverpool.

I tested it in DC mode like I test all new acquisitions, I use an old Gauge Master rolling road/12v railway controller but I don't use the rolling road part of it which is on the top. I use a separate piece of track with DCC Concepts rollers. I use the Gauge Master because it comes with a amp meter.

Well the 64xx was registering 0.8 amps and the control knob needed to be at 65 just to get the loco wheels to move. The loco had a horrible grinding sound and a definite smell of burning. So I quickly stopped it.

I took the loco apart and the visible gear train seemed bone dry. So I lubricated it with Labelle 107 model grease. I then reassembled the loco and placed it back onto the rollers.

It made a huge difference. No longer smelling of burning the loco's wheels started turning very easily and the amp meter read less than 0.05.

When I test locos on the rollers I run the loco for one hour in each direction. I ran the 64xx in forward and reverse for one hour each way.

I'm always wary of buying locos from the "H" lot in Liverpool as they don't test locos before shipping. It really is a case of Russian roulette, yet I've had other locos from them like a recently purchased Bachmann 4F that run sweetly right out of the box.