Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

I know that the price can make such work daunting, but if that's what's required to achieve the 'look', then as far as I'm concerned, it's got to be done!

I have two 64XX, one is too be converted to a 74XX in due course.

I think I'll go through the cab side on mine. ;) 

post-126-0-12783000-1503430420_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I've long forgotten how I got into the cabs of my 64XX and 57XX, but it was hardly daunting and speakers were put in that are much larger than a bloke or two.  Often I just go in with an electric drill and a burr.  If I was worried about s/h value, i would keep them in their boxes!

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I am trying to confirm the year (or even also the month) when 6415 & 6419 received the lined green livery. Also can anybody direct me to photos of these 2 locos? Incidentally, on the Bachmann model of 6419 I notice that the late emblem is not positioned in the centre of the tanks as other members of the class but back towards the cab over the centre wheel. Any comments please. I do recall seeing a photo of another member of the class with the emblem so positioned so again a photo of 6419 would be useful! Or it it a Bachmann mistake!

Cheers.

Just found this delightful period shot of 6421 at Wellington (Salop) taken by A.G.W.Sharpe, thought it worth posting in here...

..... and a nice shot of an ex-LMS BG in unlined crimson / blood livery; (as opposed to the later maroon).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi All,

I am trying to confirm the year (or even also the month) when 6415 & 6419 received the lined green livery. Also can anybody direct me to photos of these 2 locos? Incidentally, on the Bachmann model of 6419 I notice that the late emblem is not positioned in the centre of the tanks as other members of the class but back towards the cab over the centre wheel. Any comments please. I do recall seeing a photo of another member of the class with the emblem so positioned so again a photo of 6419 would be useful! Or it it a Bachmann mistake!

Cheers.

6415 here. Definitely has the crest placed nearer the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14077042984

6419 as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14329327110

I can't help with dates. I think that the RCTS books pre dated the livery change. It might be in the Pannier Papers books, but I don't have them.

Jason

• Like 1

6415 here. Definitely has the crest placed nearer the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14077042984

6419 as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14329327110

I can't help with dates. I think that the RCTS books pre dated the livery change. It might be in the Pannier Papers books, but I don't have them.

Jason

Many thanks Jason for a very quick reply! Most helpful in @ least the crest position is correct on the model! Just need to know the lined green was applied pre 1959.

Regards.

Did the 64XX appear in BR unlined green livery? Links to any pix suitable for the Bachmann GWR green model would welcome. I know very little about BR/WR liveries, but I have the chance of a GWR green 64xx at a good price and would rather not do a full repaint/line out!

thanks in advance,

Peter C.

Did the 64XX appear in BR unlined green livery? Links to any pix suitable for the Bachmann GWR green model would welcome. I know very little about BR/WR liveries, but I have the chance of a GWR green 64xx at a good price and would rather not do a full repaint/line out!

thanks in advance,

Peter C.

see here for versions released.

https://www.modelraildatabase.com/

search by locomotives by Class,

select Great Western Railway, then Class 6400 (on p2 of 2)

all the Bachmann releases are listed there, none meeting your specs it seems

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold

thanks in advance,

Peter C.

I don't recall seeing any photos of them in unlined BR green, I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Unless they remove the topfeed in a future release I doubt the ‘Great Western’ version will be announced. However, maybe there’s a small chance of a shirt button version?

Shirtbuttons were still around postwar, some lasting until nationalisation; don't know specifics about 64xx though.  But a top feed shirtbutton 64xx covers a goodish time period and would, in my view, be worth Baccy's while to produce as a livery version.

• RMweb Gold

Shirtbuttons were still around postwar, some lasting until nationalisation; don't know specifics about 64xx though. But a top feed shirtbutton 64xx covers a goodish time period and would, in my view, be worth Baccy's while to produce as a livery version.

I don't know about long-lived shirtbutton 64xx but there was a 97xx condenser photographed with one in 1960.
  • Like 2

I wonder when the 'Great Western' liveried version will be released.

Bachman are in their usual programme for GW Green locos. Initial release with GWR, second release again in GWR lettering, then a gap of at least one year, sometimes two depending on stock levels and demand. That gap is currently the 2018 announcement. The third release is then either Great Western lettering or shirtbutton. As has been said the top feed presents an issue but am hopeful one will be announced in 2019 with most likely shirtbutton and a vague possibility of one Great Western.

Either way I’m saving for one in either livery as I’ve resisted a GWR one so far.

This is only my apparent observations of other GW Green releases and not Bachman stated policy. It’s what happened with the moguls, panniers, 45xx, 4575 and 66xx and this year in Great Western it’s the 66xx, last year was 45xx, hopefully next year will be 64xx.

Basically there will be one eventually - hopefully next year. You can never have enough Panniers!!!.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unless they remove the topfeed in a future release I doubt the ‘Great Western’ version will be announced. However, maybe there’s a small chance of a shirt button version?

Why would the topfeed be an issue to Bachmann? That never stopped them releasing the 57/87xx with it's topfeed in Great Western livery. They don't care i'ts not accurate for the livery period and will no doubt get round to it when they think they can sell them.

• RMweb Gold

Why would the topfeed be an issue to Bachmann? That never stopped them releasing the 57/87xx with it's topfeed in Great Western livery. They don't care i'ts not accurate for the livery period and will no doubt get round to it when they think they can sell them.

Rather sums up the problem in a nutshell. "We'll flog this, because we can get away with it".

Never mind, wallet closed.....

• RMweb Gold

I wish manufacturers wouldn't do this; prices are at a level where I am less pathetically and grovellingly grateful for cheap high quality well finished RTR that runs well than I was a year or so ago, and I reckon add on items and a range of numberplates/transfers so that a customer could easily model a number of prototypes within a livery would not break the piggy bank while making them a lot of friends; some of them need all the friends they can get now just.  Topfeeds and other boiler top furniture, empty coal bunkers with a bag of supplied coal in the box, removable cab roofs so we can more easily put crews in there, how about a set of lamps (2 head one tail) that can be put onto the brackets, maybe even a small tube of poly to fix such parts in place would all be very desirable features on small, sometimes fully redacted, tank engines that are now pushing £120 (ok, it costs what it costs, but can't we sugar the pill a bit).  I would rather see these features than sprung buffers, which are overkill unless you are using scale couplings and can also be retrofitted.

Given the already high retail point of such models, I reckon we wouldn't mind paying an extra few quid for such features.  But of course there will always be those who will complain that the model is not complete and ready to run as it is first taken from the box, but the collectors will love it, a box full of the original add-ons in their original packaging enhancing their models.

• RMweb Premium

Well the 64xx’s don’t have sprung buffers anyway. There’s two cab and bunker variations depending on the example you want to model. Assuming they’d done the early versions with no top feed:

Top feed pipes and fixings would need to be added. Pre drilled holes? They’ll need filling for no top feed...

Lubricators would need adding/removing.

So those would need tooling adding to cost. The idea of a solvent (glue) being packaged in with a model doesn’t appeal, it might make shipping awkward, together with the inherent risk of a solvent spill and damage to the model

For something as relatively simple as the ‘standard’ GWR panniers the most cost effective way of getting the specific version eg no topfeed, is DIY, or get someone to do it, rather than hope existing tooling will be altered at significant cost to the manufacturers

post-68-0-98740900-1529607782_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the absence of such a livery might attract more opprobrium than the inclusion of a couple of anachronistic details.

Damned if they do, and damned if they don't? 

John

• RMweb Gold

Well the 64xx’s don’t have sprung buffers anyway. There’s two cab and bunker variations depending on the example you want to model. Assuming they’d done the early versions with no top feed:

Top feed pipes and fixings would need to be added. Pre drilled holes? They’ll need filling for no top feed...

Lubricators would need adding/removing.

So those would need tooling adding to cost. The idea of a solvent (glue) being packaged in with a model doesn’t appeal, it might make shipping awkward, together with the inherent risk of a solvent spill and damage to the model

For something as relatively simple as the ‘standard’ GWR panniers the most cost effective way of getting the specific version eg no topfeed, is DIY, or get someone to do it, rather than hope existing tooling will be altered at significant cost to the manufacturers

attachicon.gif33C3269D-96E3-4510-85CF-E5C69C5CD779.jpeg

I had not considered the implications of packing poly glue in with locos; this is probably not practical.  But it is easier to add details like top feeds than to remove moulded ones.  A 64xx with alternative cab/bunker would also allow the loco to represent a 74xx, with the auto gear removed.

I have to say, though, that I am quite happy with my Bachmann 64xx as it is, BR unlined black with top feed.  I have renumbered mine as 6408, from Tondu, but to be honest have no idea if this loco ran with a top feed in this livery and am winging it a bit!  If someone can tell me it definitively didn't, I am happy that I have the necessary skills and tools to remove the top feed, but I realise that not everyone is in this position.  

• RMweb Premium

I have to say, though, that I am quite happy with my Bachmann 64xx as it is, BR unlined black with top feed.  I have renumbered mine as 6408, from Tondu, but to be honest have no idea if this loco ran with a top feed in this livery and am winging it a bit!  If someone can tell me it definitively didn't, I am happy that I have the necessary skills and tools to remove the top feed, but I realise that not everyone is in this position.  

For Tondu 6408 should be in lined green (ex Laira), with a top feed. It was also very unusual in that it retained the above footplate lubricators. Your fastest route to this engine is swap it for a BR green lined version and add the lubricators.

• RMweb Gold

Ah , I was afraid of that.  O well, at least I don't have to remove the top feed.  I am assuming that the loco carried the later 'ferret and dartboard' totem when it was transferred from Laira, and that this was post 1958.  It was at Merthyr in 1948, but withdrawn from Tondu in '62.  I will probably do the repaint myself rather than source another 64xx; I am fairly confident with this sort of thing and the lining, while faffy on the bunker, is not that difficult with HMRS transfers, though it is a good few decades since I've done anything like this!

Another job for the pending tray, though; I have to finish up 9681 and crack on with a 94xx first!