Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

Guest Tom F

I must say this was a welcome announcement this morning.

It appears we have these to look forward to (courtesy of Andy York's post):

34-385 Thompson 2nd Class Corridor LNER Teak

34-386 Thompson 2nd Class Corridor BR Crimson & Cream

34-410 Thompson Composite Corridor LNER Teak

34-411 Thompson Composite Corridor BR Crimson & Cream

34-435 Thompson Composite Brake LNER Teak

34-436 Thompson Composite Brake BR Crimson & Cream

34-460 Thompson 2nd Class Brake Corridor LNER Teak

34-461 Thompson 2nd Class Brake Corridor BR Crimson & Cream

34-485 Thompson 1st Class Corridor LNER Teak

34-486 Thompson 1st Class Corridor BR Crimson & Cream

I think many of us have felt for a long time that the old Thompson's didn't match the current standard of coaches and require some heavy modifications thankfully available by the likes of Comet and Southern Pride.

LNER fake teak is useful for me as will Crimson and Cream. My thoughts why maroon haven't been shown is that the old maroon is still in the catalogue. I'm guessing these will be selling rather cheap now to make way for the new stock.

Excellent addition to ECML Main Line Stock.

• Like 2

There is a decent Thompson matchboard BG polystyrene kit which practically falls together from the Coopercraft empire, whenever that goes back into production (if they haven't already restarted).

Fingers very much crossed that the development of the three new Big Four coach ranges follows the pattern seen with the mk1s. I was really expecting some LMS non-gangwayed as a follow on from the Porthole stock, but perhaps that has to wait for these to be out on sale a year or two? Hard to think of more useful big four passenger stock, as it turned up everywhere. (Still cannot quite believe that Hornby went Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed, not that I am ungrateful...)

• Like 2

Guest Tom F

I think this likely too. I would hope they consider the 'matchboard' BGs at some point too.

The thought of maybe a restaurant being produced a few years down the line would be nice. 

I think I will have a go at using Southern Pride sides on the Thompsons I have left rather than selling them. That way I could have some pressure ventilated stock for the Flying Scotsman or Elizabethan.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

Consider though that Bach may do as they have done with mk1s, and slowly increment new types to these coach ranges over the years...

I've already suggested that they consider the RF and the RTO or RPTO - as these and the BG would be a worth while addition

Edited by davidw

There is a decent Thompson matchboard BG polystyrene kit which practically falls together from the Coopercraft empire, whenever that goes back into production (if they haven't already restarted).

Fingers very much crossed that the development of the three new Big Four coach ranges follows the pattern seen with the mk1s. I was really expecting some LMS non-gangwayed as a follow on from the Porthole stock, but perhaps that has to wait for these to be out on sale a year or two? Hard to think of more useful big four passenger stock, as it turned up everywhere. (Still cannot quite believe that Hornby went Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed, not that I am ungrateful...)

Though perhaps I'm glad to be paying Bachmann prices not Hornby for the Thompson corridors

• Like 1

Consider though that Bach may do as they have done with mk1s, and slowly increment new types to these coach ranges over the years...

AFAIK this hasn't happened with their range of Stanier and Collett coaches over the years, so I don't hold out much hope. Even when they put out a Stanier BG, it was a period III diagram so didnt really build on their existing period I range.

Does anyone know the diagram numbers of their previous Thompson stock ?

Rodger

Can anyone tell me is there such a thing as a Thompson T (S) O at all?

There was one batch built early on, 1946 ISTR. The one in the photo here may be one, I'm not sure without checking Harris' book (could also be one of the restaurant cars).

http://www.ehattons.com/60758/Bachmann_UK_34_385_Thompson_2nd_class_corridor_in_LNER_teak_new_tooling/StockDetail.aspx

I've got a list of the Diagrams at home will  publish them later I think the TSO was Dia 330.  The RTO as found in the Lizzie, Capitals and the Scotsman at various times was 350. 

Edited by davidw

I've got a list of the Diagrams at home will  publish them later I think the TSO was Dia 330.  The RTO as found in the Lizzie, Capitals and the Scotsman at various times was 350. 

Visibly the difference between the Pressure ventilated  and the Standard was different roof vents and deeper solebars on the  pressure ventilated stock. 

I think this likely too. I would hope they consider the 'matchboard' BGs at some point too.

To be honest Dave I suspect this unlikely - with out badgering Bachmann. The Thompson stock announced will be of 63'  length for the 1st, 3rd, Brake 3rd and Brake Composite. The CK is shorter at 57'. I believe that the matchboard BG is 61'. 

HTH

David 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

The thought of maybe a restaurant being produced a few years down the line would be nice. 

I think I will have a go at using Southern Pride sides on the Thompsons I have left rather than selling them. That way I could have some pressure ventilated stock for the Flying Scotsman or Elizabethan.

It's the roof profile that makes the Southern Pride option difficult. Tony Wright's DVD show one way of doing this but after doing 2 I will now wait for Bachmann!

Edited by Alan Higgi
  • Like 1

It's the roof profile that makes the Southern Pride option difficult. Tony Wright's DVD show one way of doing this but after doing 2 I will now wait for Bachmann!

I've done loads - not too bad once you get into it. Just prior to the new announcement I married a comet underframe to a Bachmann BG. With the roof mod it really improved the look. The plan was to do the rest - a plan now shelved. I'll probably redo my lizzie.

Edited by davidw

From www.Bachmann.co.uk:

Latest News

Bachmann Branchline Rolling Stock Part 1
22/03/2013

The OO scale Thompson Composite Corridor LNER Teak coaches feature:
  •  
  • Authentic representation
    of wood grain effect
  •  
  • Improved roof profile shape
  •  
  • Flush glazed windows
  •  
  • Close coupling system
  •  
  • Separately-attached
    roof vents
  •  
  • Detailed rigid corridor
    gangways
  •  
I hope they do a proper underframe too!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

AFAIK this hasn't happened with their range of Stanier and Collett coaches over the years, so I don't hold out much hope... 

Short answer is 'we don't know'. But this incrementing of new types to a coach range started with the gangwayed Mk1s which used a much different construction and were to a significantly better standard than the earlier products, which derived from legacy Palitoy/Kader tooling. Clearly this is predicated on demand being sufficient to make tooling-up additions profitable. But, having demonstrated this approach on the mk1s, I don't feel it is unrealistic to hope that it may be possible to extend this elsewhere on newly tooled ranges.