Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

Are there any square window Thompson corridor stock as modelled by Bachmann preserved? I can't see anything that matches the bill on VCT database, but the database is not totally error free...

I was hoping to be able to justify the Corridor Comp (esp given Hornby's lack of a Gresley coposite), but the NYMR version has the round cornered windows.

Edited by G-BOAF

Are there any square window Thompson corridor stock as modelled by Bachmann preserved? I can't see anything that matches the bill on VCT database, but the database is not totally error free...

I was hoping to be able to justify the Corridor Comp (esp given Hornby's lack of a Gresley coposite), but the NYMR version has the round cornered windows.

The square windowed Thompson stock was the first built but it was quickly realised that this led to a build up of water in the window corners and this subsequently accelerated the prevalence of rot - the design was changed to round cornered windows quite quickly, but I seem to think that no LNER liveried Thompsons ever featured round-cornered windows (i.e they emerged after Nationalisation). 

All of the preserved corridor Thompsons (bar 2) were built by BR, and thus have round-cornered windows. The only two LNER-built Thompson corridor coaches that survive is the lovely RB 1706 of 1947 at Llangollen and the TTO 13803 of 1946 at Boness. Both have square windows, but neither are modelled (unfortunately) in the new Bachmann range. 

All that being said, the faux-teak Thompsons are lovely coaches - treat yourself and embrace rule 1!

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

A Thompson corridor brake third with rounded corner windows carried plum & split milk livery with its running number centrally placed on the bodyside. The livery was an experiment before BR settled on blood & custard and so it is possible that any other rounded-corner Thompson constructed at this time might have carried on receiving simulated teak until works were advised that blood & custard would be the new livery. Books are not altogether clear on this point.

A Thompson corridor brake third with rounded corner windows carried plum & split milk livery with its running number centrally placed on the bodyside. The livery was an experiment before BR settled on blood & custard and so it is possible that any other rounded-corner Thompson constructed at this time might have carried on receiving simulated teak until works were advised that blood & custard would be the new livery. Books are not altogether clear on this point.

Rounded-corner window Thompson stock was constructed from 1947 (e.g. the 'interlocking berth' 3rd class Sleeping Car). Harris' LNER Carriages includes a photograph at the foot of p103 of a 1st class Restaurant Kitchen car with rounded-corner windows built 1949 and finished in simulated Teak. The 'plum and split milk' livery is illustrated in the same book at the foot of p105, a demonstration set was finished in this livery and ran on the GE Section for a while. Placing the running number centrally was an early standard soon dropped and not directly associated with the experimental livery schemes.

Rounded-corner window Thompson stock was constructed from 1947 (e.g. the 'interlocking berth' 3rd class Sleeping Car). Harris' LNER Carriages includes a photograph at the foot of p103 of a 1st class Restaurant Kitchen car with rounded-corner windows built 1949 and finished in simulated Teak. The 'plum and split milk' livery is illustrated in the same book at the foot of p105, a demonstration set was finished in this livery and ran on the GE Section for a while. Placing the running number centrally was an early standard soon dropped and not directly associated with the experimental livery schemes.

Oh right, so I come on RMweb to learn about coaches then.  :rolleyes:

Oh right, so I come on RMweb to learn about coaches then.  :rolleyes:

No, you said that books weren't altogether clear on the point and I directed forum members towards what is probably the source work on LNER coaching stock with specific examples clearly confirming that the earlier construction of rounded-corner window Thompson stock was definitely finished in the simulated Teak... QED

• Like 1

No, you said that books weren't altogether clear on the point and I directed forum members towards what is probably the source work on LNER coaching stock with specific examples clearly confirming that the earlier construction of rounded-corner window Thompson stock was definitely finished in the simulated Teak... QED

There are other books from which to gather ones own information, which is what I have done all my commercial life. Builders of models and painters as well often see things that researchers and writers do not. This happened on several occasions in the days when David Jenkinson, Geoff Holt and I were involved in model locomotives and carriages.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would there be typical formations of these Thomson coaches when in teak? I see from the Bargain Hunters thread that there are some at a very good price and would like to know what would be prototypical. 

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be grateful for help from anyone who can clarify this please.  At a recent exhibition I came across what I was given to understand was a new release of the Bachmann Thompson Corridor Brake 3rd coach in early BR Teak livery (i.e. minus the 'LNER' lettering and with the number prefixed 'E').

The retailer (whom I cannot now recall) said he believed other releases of the remaining types in this short-lived livery would be following later this year.  However, I can't seem to find any reference to them on the Bachmann website, nor in 'forthcoming items' on some of the main retailers' websites.  It probably doesn't help that when I did track down the Brake 3rd on the web it was mis-identified (or at least, not properly differentiated) on most sites as cat. 34-460 "in LNER teak" - i.e. no reference in the text to it being an early BR carriage.

Can anyone please point me at any information to show whether other Thompson corridor coaches in this livery will, indeed be forthcoming, and what their reference numbers will be?

Never heard of such a version.

Hornby did a run of their Gresley's with Grey Roofs and MFI pine supposed to be  "Teak" livery with "E" numbers, a few years ago.

Judging from the amount of Bachmann's Thompson LNER "Teak" livery Coaches still for sale, I doubt very much if Bachmann will ever produce such a version.

20 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I'd be grateful for help from anyone who can clarify this please.  At a recent exhibition I came across what I was given to understand was a new release of the Bachmann Thompson Corridor Brake 3rd coach in early BR Teak livery (i.e. minus the 'LNER' lettering and with the number prefixed 'E').

The retailer (whom I cannot now recall) said he believed other releases of the remaining types in this short-lived livery would be following later this year.  However, I can't seem to find any reference to them on the Bachmann website, nor in 'forthcoming items' on some of the main retailers' websites.  It probably doesn't help that when I did track down the Brake 3rd on the web it was mis-identified (or at least, not properly differentiated) on most sites as cat. 34-460 "in LNER teak" - i.e. no reference in the text to it being an early BR carriage.

Can anyone please point me at any information to show whether other Thompson corridor coaches in this livery will, indeed be forthcoming, and what their reference numbers will be?

The only Bachmann Thompson in teak that comes near this description is the bck  which were built post nationalisation. The branding was different on those vehicles. Hope this info helps and doesn't confuse,

8 minutes ago, micklner said:

Hornby did a run of their Gresley's with Grey Roofs and MFI pine supposed to be  "Teak" livery with "E" numbers, a few years ago.

Judging from the amount of Bachmann's Thompson LNER "Teak" livery Coaches still for sale, I doubt very much if Bachmann will ever produce such a version.

This. Thompson Brake Third in BR 1948 livery. He's right, there are supposed to be more coming.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60764/bachmann_branchline_34_460_thompson_3rd_class_brake_corridor_in_lner_teak/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

This. Thompson Brake Third in BR 1948 livery. He's right, there are supposed to be more coming.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60764/bachmann_branchline_34_460_thompson_3rd_class_brake_corridor_in_lner_teak/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

I find that totally amazing, perhaps they thought the LNER version was going to be a sell out . A obvious point/comment  is should it have curved corners to the windows.  ? I have one of the Blood/Custard ones and that also still has square corners.

14 hours ago, micklner said:

Hornby also produced early BR teaks in their 1948 Olympic train pack. I always fancied the two coaches in that set,

to go with my Bachmann BR blue A1, but not at the price Hornby were asking. Fortunately some retailers split

their unsold sets and I picked up the TK for £30, from a split set.

As the teak finish on the Olympic coaches is excellent, they are worth seeking out.

18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Thank you for confirming my sanity (?!) Jason.  I was aware, of course, that in 'real life' Thompson carriages were in the late 1940s delivered in "teak finish" but with BR numbers - like those Hornby Gresleys a few years ago.  I think what is causing the confusion here is that the particular model in question (ref. 34 460) is described in terms which make it sound as though it is in 'pure' LNER livery and numbering rather than the 'hybrid' version before BR made-up its mind on coach painting.

Question still arisies therefore - if "more" are supposed to be coming (i.e. other types with this hybrid livery), then can you or anyone point me at where to find details of that, because it isn't clear from the wording on Bachmann's own website and the pictures are unclear.

Many thanks guys.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Hornby also produced early BR teaks in their 1948 Olympic train pack. I always fancied the two coaches in that set,

to go with my Bachmann BR blue A1, but not at the price Hornby were asking. Fortunately some retailers split

their unsold sets and I picked up the TK for £30, from a split set.

As the teak finish on the Olympic coaches is excellent, they are worth seeking out.

Agree, the finish on those was much better than the next group they did.  

Hornby also had nicely finished BR teaks in the Rare Bird set, R2906.

Tom

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2019 at 14:02, micklner said:

Agree with Mick on 4 out of 5 of those Hornby Gresley's with E numbers on a poor teak finish (R4598-R4601).

However the Hornby Gresley BR teak sleepers that I have seen, R4602, had a quite reasonable representation of teak to my eye, and quite different to the other 4. they look like the previous nicely done teak releases to me.  How that came about I don't know as the 5 types were released at the same time as each other. I have sometimes wondered if Hornby had left over sleeper shells already painted from the previous run and the previous factory. That is only supposition.

On the Bachmann Thompsons, I have the 5 types in teak that were released within a month of each other and only the brake third has an E prefix.

Tom

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Dominion said:

On the Bachmann Thompsons, I have the 5 types in teak that were released within a month of each other and only the brake third has an E prefix.

Tom

I seem to recall at the time that there was supposed to be more coming, but I can't find it anywhere.

I also believe there was supposed to be maroon ones and I'm pretty sure there was some BR maroon Portholes due....

Jason

25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I seem to recall at the time that there was supposed to be more coming, but I can't find it anywhere.

I also believe there was supposed to be maroon ones and I'm pretty sure there was some BR maroon Portholes due....

Jason

Maroon portholes are imminent. Speaking to the Bachmann rep at Bristol show. They expect to do maroon Thompson's though they've not yet been announced

How long did we wait for maroon portholes? 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, davidw said:

Maroon portholes are imminent. Speaking to the Bachmann rep at Bristol show. They expect to do maroon Thompson's though they've not yet been announced

How long did we wait for maroon portholes? 

Quite a while as the Blood & Custard ones have been and gone.

Just looked and the Portholes and Thompsons both first appeared in 2013.

I know Bachmann have had supply problems, but I would have thought they would have been churning them out like Hornby have with the Maunsell's.

Maybe a trip to Ian Allan Birmingham is on the horizon to see what is left on the table. :laugh:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
added information