Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

Many thanks for all the photos. When you get to the end, we shall all be at a loose end. Maybe you could just start again in a slightly random order and see if anyone notices. Maybe some of the experts will come to different conclusions. It could be fun ;)

Seriously - thanks very much, even for showing them just the once!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Nottingham Victoria Class 5 44912 Newcastle to Bournmouth June 54 JVol7030'

Wonderful picture that reminds me of some 1950's B-movies; you'd half expect the camera to travel around the beam in front and zoom in on the girl leaning out of the carriage window calling to the man standing by the far post; all eyes are on her as she shouts her last farewell, the words drowned out by the blast from the engine...

Brilliant...

David

• Like 1

Your post made me look again at this pic - and of course it's in Vic Eastern, not Central! Could it have been ECS to Holborn?

As the saying goes, "I was wondering how long it would take you to notice that"!

Yes I did have an uneasy feeling because of that, so maybe it is an ECS. Sunday I might see if I can research my WTTs and CWNs to clarify. Application of headcode discs can't have been that haphazard ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would the Jube have come off at Nottingham, and been replaced? Or been turned and sent onwards?

If the train was changing direction at Nottingham the engine would usually be replaced, just as in later diesel days with Peaks.

David

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of these. The beauty of them all was the way your Dad did not stay with the standard three quarter front view of express passenger trains in the countryside, but gave an all round presentation of the contemporary railway scene. Thanks to him for taking these photos in the first place, and to you for taking the trouble of scanning them and posting them here. Excellent stuff!

• Like 1

David,

Thanks for posting your Dad's photos. Along with everyone else, I've really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

And as others have already said, we look forward to anything else that you might like to add to your "RMweb collection".

All the very best,

John.

• RMweb Gold

David, 

Thank you for taking the trouble and putting in the work to scan and post this marvellous array of pictures.  You dad clearly did us all a tremendous service in recording the contemporary railway scene at a time of important change and with bigger changes to come -  posthumous thanks to him too for his photographic skill and wide ranging choice of subject matter.

It's been a real pleasure to see your dad's collection David. Especially those of the district around Nottm which was one of exceptional interest, but not covered in depth as other areas of the country.

Thanks again.

Perhaps everyone should vote for their top three?

Dear David,

Thanks for the epic effort of scanning these marvellous photos and sharing them with us and thanks too, of course, to your Dad for taking them in the first place.     The value of the railway, geographical and social history in them is just beyond words.   

Thanks again,

Bill

I can't believe these have come to an end.

Many, many thanks for the memories and sheer interest of the thread.

Total respect to your dad.

Dave,

I cant tell you how much enjoyment I have had every evening for weeks and weeks now.....it has been a real pleasure to come home to yet another batch of wonderfully nostalgic photos that you have taken the time and trouble to post.

We are all very grateful to you, and of course your Dad.........you have some great memories there, and thanks for sharing them with us.

Bob.

Thankyou and your Dad for providing us all with some truely amazing pictures for us all to see, daily! I've been meaning to flick back through, but there's always another lot that pops up! Being a LNER and LMS person, these photos have been inspirational for me to look at (and bad for my wallet :D) Hopefully I'll be able to recreate some of these trains in the future.

Thanks again, Will

• RMweb Premium

I am going to be a bit lost now! I look forward so much to my daily "fix", wondering just what treasures will turn up each day.

This has been my favourite ever thread on RMWeb and seeing the photos your Dad took has given me many hours of pleasure and a great degree of modelling inspiration. I wonder if he ever thought that his photos would be enjoyed by so many.

I can only guess at how many hours of work have gone into scanning the photos and checking details/captions etc. but it will be lots and lots, so many thanks from a very grateful enthusiast.

Best wishes

Tony

Thank you for posting all these, this to me is what rmweb is all about.

Such a shame its at an end.

Thanks to you posting all these and thanks to your father for taking these pics, it really opens your eyes to the day today running of the railways as was.

Truly one of the greatest collections iv seen.

All the best

James

• RMweb Premium

What a mamouth task Dave. There are details in some of these pics which totally inspire. A big thankyou for your efforts.

I wonder what your dad would have thought about his images being seen all over the world.

Regards

Shaun.  

I'll get up early tomorrow and finish going through this thread.

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

David,

I would like to "ditto" all comments so far.

Have you given any thought to getting them published in "analogue" format? They would make a smashing set of books that I for one, would love to have in my railway collection.

Cheers

Peter