BR London Midland Region 1950s -80s

.............Royal Train stock behind the Duchess isn't it? ECS move seeing as the loco is so filthy?........ :read:

Straight forward esc. The royal train (the Grove in railway parlance) running empty had a lamp over each buffer, same as a normal express.

Superb photos Arthur, many thanks for continuing to post these gems. Particularly like the AL6 Electric at Rugby Midland, plenty of folk wouldn't have bothered taking that back then. Smashing stuff ;) .

Looking forward to seeing some more...

• RMweb Premium

WCML BR(M)

Just a few more taken from the train on a journey to Euston.

Class 5 45140

post-6751-0-55568100-1320870761_thumb.jpg

Brittania 70013 staning at Wigan North Western Station

post-6751-0-24858700-1320870734_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-58220100-1320870783_thumb.jpg

LMS 3F 0-6-0T 47444. Not sure where this is (could be Warrington).

Just checked an old locoshed book. It spent some time at Springs Branch shed Wigan so it might be there.

post-6751-0-43344100-1320870808_thumb.jpg

Ex Midland Brake in Engineer's stock. Assigned to Liverpool. No. is 16993(?)

post-6751-0-76671800-1320870867_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Arthur, not often do you see pictures around Lancaster Green Ayre. 47381 was indeed a very long term resident, sadly it is parked at the end of a siding where withdrawn locos were dumped. Lancaster had the same set of Jinties for many years as well as three long term Crabs including 42893. I used to look around the shed most mornings on the way to school in the fifties, usually the loco that had brought in the Heysham boat train the previous evening was serviced there and was usually something interesting. I once got a ride on a Britannia "Lord Hurcomb" from the shed to Green Ayre platform, a thrill for a young lad!

Edward

• RMweb Premium

LYTHAM STATION AND ANSDELL & FAIRHAVEN GOODS SHED

I really should have photographed these before their demise. Lytham station is now a pub but Ansdell & Fairhaven Goods shed is no more. You will note from the lack of rails and its generally poor state that it has not long to go. However they prove useful if anyone wants to model these or similar structures.

The goods shed is no more but the line through to Blacpool is still open as can bee seen from the rails and footbridge.

post-6751-0-72020900-1320939533_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-35260800-1320939548_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-13918400-1320939563_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-85203900-1320939583_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-31499000-1320939604_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-64916000-1320939631_thumb.jpg

Again Lythan Station is still open but the station buildings are now a pub and replaced by the inevitable bus shelter. This line from Kirkham to Blackpool South is still open and quite busy.

post-6751-0-43987800-1320939650_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-88210200-1320939667_thumb.jpg

Great to see you back Arthur!

I particularly enjoyed your Llandudno Jc photos.

I spent a morning on Llandudno station itself in the early 60s while the rest of the family were on the beach - very worthwhile on a summer Saturday despite it only being at the end of a branch.

• RMweb Gold

To clarify - The lamp on the far buffer us turned so the lens is not facing forward, something for the steam period modellers to note and copy perhaps ?

I think it's actually the power annexe on the location case in the background which is directly behind where the lamp would be.

• RMweb Gold

LMS 3F 0-6-0T 47444. Not sure where this is (could be Warrington).

Just checked an old locoshed book. It spent some time at Springs Branch shed Wigan so it might be there.

It is, Wigan North Western.

• 5 months later...

Lancaster 1963-1965

Moving further South after Leaving Arnside we pass through Carnforth. I decided not to include any photographs from there as they are all preservation shots. Things which were around were three preserved Class 5s, The LNWR 2-4-0 "Hardwicke" and both "Flying Scotsman" and "Green Arrow". I took a lot of detail shots of these. If anyone wants more details drop me a PM.

Just to the North of Lancaster the WCML runs along the shore of Morcambe Bay. Hest Bank is a good place to witness the traffic. The date of the next four is October 1963.

We were not there very long but the first to appear was Class 5 No. 44673 on a fast goods, made up entirely of vans, travelling North.

post-6751-12626214424682_thumb.jpg

In the opposite direction a second Class 5 45249 also with vans.

post-6751-12626214453708_thumb.jpg

Heading North Duchess No. 46233 "Duchess of Hamilton" heads an express. No doubt someone can decode the chalked 1X 37 on the smokebox door.

post-6751-12626214486238_thumb.jpg

post-6751-12626214389441_thumb.jpg

Thanks Arthur, for the excellent nostalgic photographs. My own decision to build a layout based on Hest Bank is very much reinforced by your photos.

• RMweb Premium

Arthur, do you recall what colour the ex-Midland brake in the Engineers dept was? Black with white lettering?

Edward

If I recall correctly it was black with white lettering.

Artnutr K

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

ARNSIDE 1963-1965

Moving South from Carlisle I dont have anything until we reach Carnforth. However a line branches off at Carnforth to Barrow in Furness and thence around the coast back to Carlisle. A few miles to the West of Carnforth the Line crosses the estuary of the River Kent as it flows into Morcambe Bay. This is a fine day out from the Lancashire coast at Lytham for the family as well as being a great place for photographs as the trains cross the viaduct. The first shots were taken in October 1963, two more in August 1964 and the last in September 1965.

Most if not all the Co-Bos from Metropolitan Vickers ended up at Barrow in Furness. Amongst there other duties they were used on the Barrow to London trains as far as Preston. At Preston the coaches formed part of the London train. I am not sure where the rest of the train was from. The coaches were also detached from the Down Train at Preston when the Metrovics took over. I was lucky enough to photograph a number of these at Arnside. The first shot is of D5704 on a four coach train just ending its crossing of the viaduct.

attachicon.gifBook 6 45_3.jpg

A second Metrovic on similar duties. Note the 12E shed code painted on the front.

attachicon.gifBook 6 45_4.jpg

Class 5 No. 44904 on goods duties. The shed code is 10A the former code for Wigan Springs Branch, though by this time it should have been changed.

attachicon.gifBook 6 45_5.jpg

A second Class 5 No 44937. No doubt someone can tell me what is in those hoppers. Shed code is 12A Carlisle.

attachicon.gifBook 6 45_6.jpg

English Electric Type 4 (sorry number not known) with passenger train of Eight (or is nine) coaches.

attachicon.gifBook 6 46_1.jpg

Light engine Fairburn 2-6-4T No. 42063 Running towards Barrow. Shed code appears to be 10B which was the old code for Preston.

attachicon.gifBook 6 46_2.jpg

Moving on now to August 1964 another Metrovic (or is it the one seen previously) sporting the painted 12E (Barrow) Shed Code.

attachicon.gifBook 6 95_1.jpg

Class 5 again, this time No. 45081 of Carlisle with the same type of train as that pulled by 44937 a year earlier.

attachicon.gifBook 6 95_2.jpg

Returning light to Barrow Class 5 No. 45328. Shed code again appears to be 10A.

attachicon.gifBook 7 052_5.jpg

The class 28s are noted on Wikipedia as initially being allocated to the Midland Division and used in pairs on the overnight London–Glasgow “Condor” express freight service. Would this class be suitable for a Scottish themed layout or were they more common on the Barrow to London trains? On the Barrow to London trains, were they single loco or pairs?

The notorious Co-Bo's, seemed like a good idea at the time of inception, shedded at Derby for use ( amongst others) on the new 'Condor' express freight from Hendon to Glasgow. They soon fell out of favour because of constant problems, banished to the provinces ( Barrow), and used on local work, when they were able. Working to Preston, I don't think they could have trusted one on it's own. Along with the North British type 1 Bo-Bo, they could have been the most unreliable class of early generation diesel classes.

Whilst at Barrow the Co-Bos worked, singly, as far as Manchester Victoria, they may also have worked into Liverpool, they didn't venture any further south.

They had excellent electrical systems and had been finished to a high standard, they were let down by the Crossley power units. I have read that at Barrow the staff got some good work out of them. A larger class would have probably been re-engined, a class of twenty were soon redundant.

Whilst at Barrow the Co-Bos worked, singly, as far as Manchester Victoria, they may also have worked into Liverpool, they didn't venture any further south.

They had excellent electrical systems and had been finished to a high standard, they were let down by the Crossley power units. I have read that at Barrow the staff got some good work out of them. A larger class would have probably been re-engined, a class of twenty were soon redundant.

Didn't CIE also buy some Crossley-engined diesels, which they ended up re-engining?

The class 28s are noted on Wikipedia as initially being allocated to the Midland Division and used in pairs on the overnight London–Glasgow “Condor” express freight service. Would this class be suitable for a Scottish themed layout or were they more common on the Barrow to London trains? On the Barrow to London trains, were they single loco or pairs?

Their use on the 'Condor' was before they were moved to Barrow (as bike2steam said). While they were used on the 'Condor', they were used on internal Scottish services during their layover in Glasgow. There are some details in these pages -

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/history/history.html

http://www.derbysulzers.com/59.html (see notes for March 1959).

There's also a picture of one on a southbound passenger service at Stirling - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73769-diesels-in-scotland-pre-1960/?p=1092474

Didn't CIE also buy some Crossley-engined diesels, which they ended up re-engining?

Yes, they also had MetroVick electricals and I believe that they'd initially given good service. Based on that experience a similar combination was put forward to the BR pilot scheme. Unfortunately it was about then that the Crossley problems were becoming apparent in Ireland, too late to stop the Co-Bos entering service.

Were the Irish locos re-engined with GM Detroit diesels?

They also reached Crewe en route to the works for overhaul whilst shedded at Barrow.

Archived