Tyneside electrics

• RMweb Premium

You're right. I have just checked. The colour slide was August 1973. The others were later, but not much!

ArthurK

It's my home town, Arthur!  I was on Shields station when the last DMU left before closure, boy there was a lot of detonators down!

that looks a great film, where is the level crossing in the first at 4 minutes where the electric unit crosses?

One of the few scenes not filmed around Tyneside.

Going off the British Railways sign it's the level crossing on Manor Road, North Sheen.

http://goo.gl/maps/m6BX5

The factory used in the Blag scenes isn't Tyneside. That’s the GEC works at Rugby.

If you know Tyneside, the continuity on the road scenes is rubbish but that doesn't distract for me. Some places are long gone but other locations have hardly changed.

Quite a progressive film for 1960. I surprised the censors of the time let so much through.

Keep an eye out for the road entrance to the lower part of Trafalgar Yard. That’s the railway arches were they hide the getaway Jag.

The arches and lane are still there. Manors station was above. The building directly opposite the arches used to be the Power Station for the third rail system. (Just trying to keep myself vaguely on topic!).

P  

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I had Payroll out on Lovefilm a few weeks ago and annoyed the other half by constantly pausing it to look at the scenes and work out where they were! The parts filmed in Tynemouth (at the 'inside man's' house) haven't changed a bit (apart from the back gate being bricked up) and the area round the bank in the city centre is remarkably familiar. I found the acting a bit melodramatic but I guess that was a sign of the times. Very enjoyable film though. The lane up to Trafalgar Yard where the getaway car was stashed was the one around the back of the tram depot/power station, wasn't it?

Arp

David Heys has a shot of a publicity van advertising Payroll on his site aswel as other interesting shots, one of a Tyneside unit from the footplate of a steamer.

http://www.davidheyscollectionextra.com/page23.htm

Ill get that film, my dad and I like anything from that period with lots of road vehicles and street scenes in it.

I had Payroll out on Lovefilm a few weeks ago and annoyed the other half by constantly pausing it to look at the scenes and work out where they were! The parts filmed in Tynemouth (at the 'inside man's' house) haven't changed a bit (apart from the back gate being bricked up)

One of my mates Aunt and Uncle lived in that street. Said they loved it when they were filming there. A neighbours family used to run the pub in Seaton Delaval and reckoned the film crew were never out of the bar. Showing my age bur during the late seventies and early eighties I was used to regularly take a pint in the Theatre Royal Bar. A tiny but "proppa" pub. It was always full. I never understood why they closed it. Probably the wrong type of Clientele!

The lane up to Trafalgar Yard where the getaway car was stashed was the one around the back of the tram depot/power station, wasn't it?

Arp

I thought it was the "generator" station for the Tyneside Electrics but I could be wrong. Around about 1987 I spend almost a week searching out and photographing the locations for a Newspaper story. The editor decided not to run it saying it would only be of interest to "Trainspotters".

P

• Like 1

Ill get that film, my dad and I like anything from that period with lots of road vehicles and street scenes in it.

Just download it from Youtube. It's cheaper and the quality wont be that different.

P

I thought it was the "generator" station for the Tyneside Electrics but I could be wrong. Around about 1987 I spend almost a week searching out and photographing the locations for a Newspaper story. The editor decided not to run it saying it would only be of interest to "Trainspotters".

P

It was the generator station for the Tyneside Corporation Tramways ( see: http://www.heritage-explorer.co.uk/web/he/searchdetail.aspx?id=5236&crit=Art )

From the listing document: "A municipal power station and administrative building, designed by Benjamin Simpson and constructed between 1901 and 1904 for Newcastle Corporation built to supply electricity for trams and lighting. A substantial building group in brick and stone with eclectic details and some architectural pretentions. The stained glass windows depicting tramcars and the building's imposing entrance are particular features. The generator hall and offices are built externally in red brick wirh cut and moulded sandstone details. The south wall is lit by 14 tall arched windows, and the north by 16 similar but shorter windows. The east end has been extended, possibly in the 1930s, and is lit by 6 oblong, metal-frmaed windows. The interior of the generator hall is lined with turquoise and white glazed bricks. A well-preserved World War 2 air-raid shelter of brick with steel blast doors and internal hatches survives in the basement."

Quite a lot on Wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manors_Power_Station

Arp

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone wanting full details of the infrastructure of the North Tyneside lines I can thoroughly recommend the NERA publication "North Eastern Railway Electric Traction on Tyneside 1904"  ISBN 1 873513 56 9  pulished Dec 2004. This is obtainable direct from the NERA.

This decribes in full detail the sites of the power stations and substations as well as drawings andesciptions of th cars themselves. Also descibed are "accidenes and incidents 1904-1923. It also contains time tables for 1904 and 1910.

ArthurK

• Like 2

So you had a few "neets oot" in "Generator" then???

P

I used to go to The Riverside (just over the road) every Thursday night for years but now it's a Tesco Extra! It used to be great to explore around there when it was still all factories and warehouses but now it's a bit of a student ghetto of cheap flats.

The power station for the Tyneside electrification was at Carville, if I remember correctly. I'm sure it will be in the NERA publication Arthur mentions. On that subject, I can't see anywhere on the NERA website where that publication is available for purchase. Any tips?

Arp

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The power station for the Tyneside electrification was at Carville, if I remember correctly. I'm sure it will be in the NERA publication Arthur mentions. On that subject, I can't see anywhere on the NERA website where that publication is available for purchase. Any tips?

Arp

Carville features in the book complete with drawings and other details.

The booklet (ringbound) is listed in the "Books and Pubications" by the NERA. Price by post is £7.95.

Available from:

Sales Officer 

Mr John Allen

Fir Tree Cottage

Ulgham

Morpeth

Northumberland

NE61 3AW

ArthurK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wrong side of the water, but today I stumbled upon these Tyneside electrics:

There is another booklet devoted to the Harton Electrics. If anyone wants to know I will did it out.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

There is another book published by The Oakwood Press. "THe North Eastern Electrics" written by Ken Hoole. Probably out of print. First published 1987 ISBN 0 85361 358 3. This is an expanded version of an earlier book by the same author.

It contains many drawings of the earlier stock but also some of the Metro Cammell cars.

Note also "The Harton Electric Railway" (Again Oakwood Press in hardback). Author William J Hatcher publisned 1994. ISBN 0 85361 457 1

ArthurK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a booklet entitled 'Memories of the LNER Tyneside' by Allan W. Stobbs, M.S., B.Sc. published by the author in 1988. I can find no ISBN number however. It contains several excellent maps of the lines concerned as well as photographs of the electrics that I have not seen elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

errr, the RIGHT side of the river, please!  We had plenty electrics on our seide too, BR and NCB ;-)  I was born 100 yards behind where the photographer was standing for the first shot of 9!  Most of my life there, 9 was the shunter of that end, the south end of the screens where the empties went in.

• RMweb Premium

Note also "The Harton Electric Railway" (Again Oakwood Press in hardback). Author William J Hatcher publisned 1994. ISBN 0 85361 457 1

ArthurK

Hi Arthur

I looked at making a layout of the Low Staiths. I even worked out how to control sets of four wagons as they travelled from the Teeming Shed to the Empties sidings by gravity, using memory wire braking system as devised by Ted Scannel. I have just never got round to starting it. The operators would be behind the Teeming Shed to remove the coal from the wagons as they passed through it. My friend was keen on helping until I told him we would have to wear waders because we would be standing in the Tyne. :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/5172654925/sizes/o/in/photostream/

....count 6 sleepers towards from the front of the Cravens, is that an insulator on the sleeper end?  I'm sure I recall there still being odd ones around then.

Edited by New Haven Neil

On this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/5172654925/sizes/o/in/photostream/

....count 6 sleepers towards from the front of the Cravens, is that an insulator on the sleeper end?  I'm sure I recall there still being odd ones around then.

No date on that photo as far as I can see, but some of the metal rings on the sleepers that the insulators sat on survived into the Metro era. 

Edited by Edwin_m