Bachmann GWR Shunters Truck

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have definitely got the good start on the shunters truck as the Bachmann model won't be out till December at the earliest.

Hattons email.

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us,  has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Bachmann Branchline 38-676 GWR Shunters Truck GWR Grey 'Newton Abbott' £10.58

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between December 2013 & January 2014

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

• RMweb Premium

This is one time when Hornby may corner the market now that their offering has hit the shops. If Hattons are correct then there will be a lot of people who are not fussed about which truck they own, and be willing to do some alterations to get the one they want and simply buy the Hornby offering now they may have a six month wait before the Bachmann truck comes out.

Edited by 7013

This is one time when Hornby may corner the market now that their offering has hit the shops. If Hattons are correct then there will be a lot of people who are not fussed about which truck they own, and be willing to do some alterations to get the one they want and simply buy the Hornby offering now they may have a six month wait before the Bachmann truck comes out.

It maybe, but I think Hornby has got to do alot more work. I think they've lost the battle over the wagon range personally. Their wagon range is not as good when compared to Bachmann who has made tremendous leaps with it's range over the last several years. They have focused on bringing every wagon to the highest standards possible. Only wagon I know which still needs an update is the Salt wagon chassis. They have also aimed at bringing several new wagons to the range each year and thus have succeeded. Best example is the SR Pillbox Brake which has been successful since it was released last year in several liveries.

Hornby has focused more on the loco, diesel and carriage range and has left the wagon range at the very bottom of the pile. Still not impressed with the fact they are still using moulds that are at least 14 years old and could do with a revamp and then selling the wagons at ridiculous pricing.

Garethp8873.

I plan to wait for the Bachmann Newton Abbott version, as for 81C, it suits my location. I too am in no rush and have faith in Bachmann's production of wagons as Gareth points out, they have won the wagon range battle comfortably, and their reward shall be my custom!

Edit: I would also apply this policy to the 4-6-0 4MT, should I ever require one. Hornby's offering seemed to just about edge it in the reviews but I have never had a problem with any of my Bachmann standards and generally find their locos to be better, more reliable runners. There is rarely an opportunity to show brand loyalty in this hobby and at this current time I feel that Bachmann are very deserving of it.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

I prefer the Bachmann range of wagons take the liveries on the PO stock they are excellent and I have the full range of their GWR and some SR, LMS and LNER wagons in great numbers.

Hornby have catered for the modeller but with very few prototype items and I've no reason to rush and buy the first RTR Shunter Truck on the market it doesn't look right and I don't see the point of hacking apart to make it so, new tooling or otherwise.

I have just bought the Hornby one from Transport Treasures. looks fine to me.

Mike Wiltshire

I prefer the Bachmann range of wagons take the liveries on the PO stock they are excellent and I have the full range of their GWR and some SR, LMS and LNER wagons in great numbers.

Hornby have catered for the modeller but with very few prototype items and I've no reason to rush and buy the first RTR Shunter Truck on the market it doesn't look right and I don't see the point of hacking apart to make it so, new tooling or otherwise.

Bachmann have always looked at their wagon range to see what they can improve upon. In the last five years, there has been at least 20 or more new entries on their wagon range and this is surely to increase over the next few years. This is as well the reason to their success as they have realized that the modeller wants a broader range of wagons to work with.

Hornby on the otherhand, just throws out anything on their wagon range and expects the customer to blindly purchase them without thinking. I still do not understand why they sell the GWR Mogo, Toad and SR Van when Bachmann does these at a much higher standard. If anything they should being looking at the older moulds of other wagons and getting these sorted. But I doubt they will do this anytime soon...

In the end, Bachmann will be the one who will come out on top of this particular battle. With three GWR and two BR liveries, two different diagrams and always the possibility of doing more in the future either as mainstream releases or as Limited Editions.

I have just bought the Hornby one from Transport Treasures. looks fine to me.

Mike Wiltshire

I finally got mine today from Hattons. I will say I am impressed with them, however there are minor things which spoil the overall look of the wagon. Brakegear being in the "on" setting isn't good when really it should in the "off" setting. Also I do not like how they have "scribbled" on the (O.Y.R) on the Gloucester Shunter truck and I find it silly they have missed the number error on the Acton Shunter truck (should be 41048 not 40148).

Garethp8873.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course the position of the brake handles might not be a problem if the truck is going to spend most of its time stationary.  don't worry - I have one on pre-order, warts an' all - but I do hope people realise there is little one can do with one of these beyond attaching it to a shunting pilot.   Not the sort of vehicle you're very likely to find in the average (or unusual) freight train.

I still do not understand why they sell the GWR Mogo, Toad and SR Van when Bachmann does these at a much higher standard.

Because not every shop that stocks Hornby stocks Bachmann? Because they have the tooling already?

Some items I would regard as "bread and butter" to a range. MK1 carriages, BR 20t brake vans, Toads, generic 5 plank wagons, and I think the shunters' truck may actually sit there as well now.

Of course the position of the brake handles might not be a problem if the truck is going to spend most of its time stationary.  don't worry - I have one on pre-order, warts an' all - but I do hope people realise there is little one can do with one of these beyond attaching it to a shunting pilot.   Not the sort of vehicle you're very likely to find in the average (or unusual) freight train.

Mike,

Mine will be spending it's time like a little orphan at the end of a siding. I know it wouldn't be seen on a layout like Danemouth but it's part of my childhood - Modellers Licence hereby invoked!

I suspect that this will be true of a large number of the trucks purchased,

Hope to collect my Hornby version tomorrow, but will I be able to resist the Bachmann version when it arrives?

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

I can't ever recall seeing one in a brown colour Dave but it's not impossible.  However my initial inclination is 'dirt' - they certainly never seemed to see any cleaning from what I can recall and the black 'faded' for want of a better expression.  Have you a link to the DVd by any chance?

Mike,

The DVD is a "B & R Ultimate Archive Steam Series Vol 160 - Steam in Wales and the Borders Part 3". A shunters truck at Pontypool Road appears at 38' 55"

It may well be grey but the colour of the original film is faded so it's hard to tell.

Regards,

Dave

Hornby on the otherhand, just throws out anything on their wagon range and expects the customer to blindly purchase them without thinking. I still do not understand why they sell the GWR Mogo, Toad and SR Van when Bachmann does these at a much higher standard.

Because they sell; if they didn't, Hornby would not have kept them in the range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby on the otherhand, just throws out anything on their wagon range and expects the customer to blindly purchase them without thinking. I still do not understand why they sell the GWR Mogo, Toad and SR Van when Bachmann does these at a much higher standard.

I can't recall a Hornby GWR liveried toad in many a long day. Perhaps they have them as BR(WR) items.

I don't think either Hornby or Bachmann have a GWR liveried toad available individually.

EDIT:

I guess there's one in the Titfield Thunderbolt set (and a 14xx in GWR livery). I had thought this set would have a nondescript set of liveries. Except for the Lowmac it's very 'GWR'y.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 months later...

Now on the Bachmann website as due in the next 60 days so may just make it for Christmas (so thats why all us blokes leave our shopping to the last minute!)

To try and be fair to all manufacturers, I bought one Hornby and will get one Bachmann and then make a decision as to which looks the best as they both look excellent. Anyone else suspect that the delay in Bachmanns was because they saw Hornbys and realised that they had left the brakes on as well??

I bought one of the Hornby ones for my Father for his birthday back in the summer (remember summer?).  Key reason for getting that one was that it was available in time.  To the novice I think it looks rather good:

IMG_1881.JPG

Of course another reason I bought this is int he foreground, one we built together back in the early 80s (when I was nine or ten) using an old wagon kit as the donor.  We labelled this "ACTON" rather than "DIDCOT" as we only had sufficient Letraset for the former. Hand rails were made from track pins and the wire from bag ties with blobs of Araldite to hold them on & represent the welds:

IMG_1880.JPG

It's rather cool being back into modelling with the Auld Fella, but now we have a new little boy who helps us too!

I think the thing looks nice on my train set:

IMG_1885.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately the Bachmann BR liveried ones are in the correct colour and I can probably make an excuse for them.  I did buy the Hornby Reading Central one for sentimental reasons (local truck and all that) notwithstanding its incorrect colour scheme - and having stood next to/leaned on various of Reading shunters trucks back in the 1960s I know full well what colour they were painted.  And fortunately (sensibly) Bachmann decided to research colour schemes before setting on them - must be a message there perhaps?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And fortunately (sensibly) Bachmann decided to research colour schemes before setting on them - must be a message there perhaps?

Doesn't mean they get it right though (thinks BR(S) green)...

I haven't yet decided on one of these trucks, unless they found their way to very small yards it'll be a bit out of place.

Edited by brushman47544

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Bachmann new arrivals page shows 38-677 "Old Oak Common" as having arrived, with the remaining four in the next 60 days.

It's not yet showing as in stock in the online suppliers where I checked. I presume it should be here soon though.

I've had an email from Hattons saying that the "Loco Dept." version in BR livery is due in the next few days, so some of the others have probably also arrived by now.

• RMweb Gold

I've had an email from Hattons saying that the "Loco Dept." version in BR livery is due in the next few days, so some of the others have probably also arrived by now.

They are in the country as all versions are available on ebay including the NA version here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38-676-GWR-Shunters-Truck-GWR-Grey-Newton-Abbott-Bachmann-/261353586243?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd9e33e43

No connection with seller.

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to Hattons on Thursday and their limited stock will arrive in a few days..... Why limited stocks? You would have thought there would be loads produced after such a long wait!

Anyway, I ordered the OOC version and will be interested to see that beside the Hornby Acton one, which is already on the railway. Two I think is sufficient.

I intend to add pick ups to both, with electric couplings (Sure I have seen some NEM couplings), to assist the Panniers over crossings etc. 

• Like 1