Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Found in Sainsbury's earlier today, the second edition of a new partwork which comes complete with 1:76 ("OO scale", sic) static model of streamlined "Coronation" 6220 in LMS red.

I thought it was the same partwork described in another thread, but instead it appears to be the latest from the company that brought out a similar "world" series of N gauge locomotives several years ago.

The Duchess looks a lot of model for £5.99, and could make a good base for renumbering and naming for my daughter.

Next issue will be priced at £8.99 and has (yawn) "Flying Scotsman".  (Don't they have any imagination?)

• Like 3

I picked up the first issue with Mallard for £2.99 a couple of weeks ago, then posted images on LNER Info. Unfortunately no one else could find a copy. It will be interesting to hear what coverage it is now getting. Like you, mine came from Sainsbury as well, however WHSmiths seem to be ignoring it. It is a shame as the models are quite good for the price.

It would be interesting to know roughly were you are Mike, in order to get some idea of where, other than Essex, is regarded as a fit place for the alleged trial marketing of this magazine. The sooner we get it (as promised) in the rest of the Kingdom, the better - it might put a stop to profiteering such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITISH-LOCOMOTIVES-MAGAZINE-1-76-OO-GAUGE-SCALE-MODEL-4468-MALLARD-/251245791027?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a7f6a8733

Yep, they've started already.......

Edited by gr.king

Even though we both come from Essex (in case you couldn't tell...) FTAOD, I'm not the eBay seller linked above (not a bad idea, though), having missed Part 1.  As someone notes on the LNER forum, a streamlined B17/5 conversion would make an interesting project.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tilbury Asda had one this morning. Unless they have reserve stocks hidden away, they don't have it any longer!

We are promised a streamlined Coronation in crimson lake (presumably 6229), A3 4472 (with German style blinkers) SR 'Schools' 'Stowe' GWR 2800 :) , Black 5, 1000 MR Compound, 'Rocket', 'City of Truro' :), LNER K3, SR WC, a Jinty' 3F  "... and many more" *    The 2nd issue is £5.99, then £8.99

The subscription comes with various freebies. I'm thinking about it  (and SWMBO hasn't said "No!")

* This 'Many More' individual gets everywhere! :jester:

Edited by Il Grifone

Found a copy today in Helensburgh. Very impressed with the model, well decorated  separate handrails (plastic) nice detail in general.

Interesting list of other locomotives in the series locomotion, rocket. City of truro, evening star etc Looks like they are working their way through the national collection, I wonder if we will get a APTE or a prototype HST? 

Looks like I'm going to have to buy another display case ......... again! 

My local newsagent has a "Mallard" in stock at the moment and it looks to be quite a nice model, but, on closer inspection, I noticed none of the wheels on the front pony truck are in contact with the track on the display plinth !

I was delighted to see on the packaging, that one of the production Deltics is planned to follow later in the series.    

Edited by plarailfan

The wheels are plastic and don't turn so unless you fit a new set of wheels and valve gear connecting rods etc no.

Regarding the front bogie you can remove it from the plastic base 4 screws hold it in place once free of the base the bogie can me gently pulled down. The plastic base takes up too much space in a display case.

The wheels are plastic and don't turn so unless you fit a new set of wheels and valve gear connecting rods etc no.

Regarding the front bogie you can remove it from the plastic base 4 screws hold it in place once free of the base the bogie can me gently pulled down. The plastic base takes up too much space in a display case.

Ok thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait for the Deltic.

Wonder what the electric will be class 84? EM1 of more likely class 87. 

Wonder if there will be a Stirling single at some point. 

It seems they will be sticking to the national collection .

Who fancys a model of the NRM.

By the way found this gem when googling the national collection. 

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1975-7039&pageNo=2

Never knew the Bodmin and Waterford railway were so ahead of there time