Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Good evening John....comet chassis constructed earlier courtesy of Poppys jig....nice smooth running under finger pressure...no tight spots...just waiting for my high level gearbox to make into a runner...more pictures soon

• Like 1

post-23587-0-66405400-1505056266_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-65059700-1505056291_thumb.jpegtwo photographs of the now motorised 2f. The motor is a mashima 10/20 bought originally to remotor the Heljan Garratt. It became redundant when I bit the bullet and undertook the mammoth task of fitting new chassis motors to that model. I appreciate using this motor and rhe garrat flyeheell has meant me losing the gap n the boiler....if other attempt this , it is perfectly possible to hide the motor in the boiler. Chris at high level had a gearbox planner on his site which would allow you to do this. I decided though to use this and live with the resulting compromise, not least to recoup some of the monies so far spent on the Garratt. I hope the two photos are of interest. It a good little runner and will soon be joined by its tender more soon
  • Like 9

post-23587-0-35151000-1505404707_thumb.jpegnow with tender. Bachmann top still showing LMS under first coats of paint. It sits on the modified Hornby chassis....then a mk1 rowanj sub chassis made out of plasticard. Loco a good runner....still needs brakes and outside rods...grab rails on tender ....really pleased seems to have captured the real feel of the original not an exact model...Alan gibbons kit would supply that, but given its humble origins...
  • Like 8

Hi Everybody.

I've been away from this forum page on the subject of GBL Models for sometime now. Looking back now in the mists of time concerning GBL models, 

The City Of Truro model was released. Ok it did have its issues! But it has lent itself to some conversion possibilities.

Having looked through some documents and paperwork here at home, I have found something that may be of interest circa 1968!

The article is from an Airfix magazine from 1968 and the Article was titled 'Flowers' and 'Atbaras'.A nice article, as the work looks very simple to do on a conversion of the Kitmaster/ Airfix and anybody else that borrowed this mould!! :sarcastichand:  

Good use of a very sharp knife and car filler, oh yes also 'k's spare chimney part! Looks like it will lend its self to the GBL model chop up!

So if anybody is interested I will gladly scan these pages and you too could have a laugh over this one!

Please contact me and I will send you the Scans etc.

Uries15

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Need something to do with all those left-over bits from GBL models?   How about a UK version of this sculpture? 

attachicon.giflocosculpture.jpg

Perhaps for a location with a history of locomotive building.  I can just see something like it outside the Swindon retail park! :-)

More detail here

One takes it that its not working purely by adhesion?  :jester:

(And imagine the fuss if the NRM gave City of Truro to Swindon Retail Park for such a stunt!)  :O

Need something to do with all those left-over bits from GBL models?   How about a UK version of this sculpture? 

Perhaps for a location with a history of locomotive building.  I can just see something like it outside the Swindon retail park! :-)

More detail here

i thought it was a new North Korean missile on its launch ramp .

• 2 weeks later...

My motorised A2 was pressed into action to test the trackwork on my "in progress" layout. I see it needs a visit to the paintshop to replace the curve on bottom LH of the tender. Such a pity this series ended abruptly..

For those who are interested , this was A H Peppercorn in LNER Green and is now Trimbush in late BR Brunswick. I put it on a Hornby Brit chassis which I already had and modified the cylinders and valve gear to look a bit more LNER.  It is supposedly heading a Saturday relief back to Edinburgh on my "in progress" new layout. Link below.

Cheers 

John

post-1659-0-22751200-1511702079_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here is another test using a GBL loco. 60011 is ex-Mallard, running on a Hornby chassis. I bought the latter ages ago when you pick them up for £30, so this loco cost about £35, as I already had the tender wheels. I think the nameplates and transfers cost more than the loco.

The test was of my Elizabethan rake running through the pointwork. At 10 coaches, it's my longest train, and is made up largely of Bachmann donors with Southern Pride overlays. The rake is heading south, so the leading pair are the Aberdeen MK1's.

post-1659-0-73988700-1511893986_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

More detail here

There was a similar "installation" in Germany, using an upside-down Kriegslok.

I thought the K3 was one of the more "plasticky" looking GBL locos, but it actually scrubs up pretty well, This was a test of my rake of Airfix/Dapol tank wagons, but the wheels on several seem to have tightened up so,, out with the lube.

The loco runs on an old Bachmann V1/3 split chassis which runs OK. If I remember, it needs some pretty brutal, but simple , hacking at the rear and the body is a very tight fit. However, the wheels are now the right size. The tender is a cheat, as I wanted the earlier GS tender and had a spare Bachmann one.

Again, I hope this shows how those GBL models gave us an economic way to het a relatively unusual loco.

Hopefully, I'll soon have another view of the layout to use.

John

post-1659-0-81219900-1512051835_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I recently compared the Locomotion model with 00 scale drawings of the same, I can confirm that it is actually H0 scale. Also the reason for choosing H0 scale becomes obvious, to fit a 00 scale model onto 16.5mm track would involve making cutaways in the sides of the boiler to take the wheels.

• Like 2

I recently compared the Locomotion model with 00 scale drawings of the same, I can confirm that it is actually H0 scale. Also the reason for choosing H0 scale becomes obvious, to fit a 00 scale model onto 16.5mm track would involve making cutaways in the sides of the boiler to take the wheels.

I initially thought it was closer to 3mm scale.

Not sure if its a trend at the moment or that the market place is just saturated but some GBL models seem quite cheep on that well known auction site. I've just picked up three more Caledonian singles all for less than £10 each including p&p. I got one for the starting bid of just £3 another one for £7 and the most expensive was only £9 with free p&p

All these were for the locos only with no mags or cardboard backing but all three were still in there blister packs fixed to there bases. I like to keep a healthy stock of these as I model the Caledonian and with very little work a single can provide a wealth of parts for many Caley models/

So far these have gone towards two jumbos an 0-6-0 tank and a 0-4-4 tank with some of the tenders used on other projects some times with a cut down T9 tender tank on the Caley frame.

Future project I would like to look at are an original Drummond Caledonian 66 class 4-4-0 and one of Drummond's small 80 class 4-4-0 as well. If I ever live long enough another jumbo or two would be nice covering all the variations and builders ie. Drummond, Lambey and MacIntosh (you can never have to many jumbos on a Caley layout that's what I always say)

You know the strange thing is with all these single's so far I've never been tempted to cut one down to make a correct length single its self, strange that! (these and the original Triang/Hornby models are about  4 to 5mm to long)

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 8

Just picked up a GBL ivatt 2mt. Decided it will go nicely with a Hornby ivatt chassis to create a margate tank version of their ivatt mogul. Still have one spare mogul left for another k3 conversion but might try a cut down triang std 3 chassis instead if i can find a good one as. I have become attached to these Hornby ivatts for some odd reason.

• Like 5