Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I think the body is a Bachmann moulding, what makes me think this is the loco to tender hook. My one is in bits when I type this, with all tender, pony truck and trailing wheels off and the drivers out. Sadly the drivers are a one piece moulding, I just hope Bachmann still do the chassis for the A4. 

I think the body is a Bachmann moulding, what makes me think this is the loco to tender hook. My one is in bits when I type this, with all tender, pony truck and trailing wheels off and the drivers out. Sadly the drivers are a one piece moulding, I just hope Bachmann still do the chassis for the A4. 

The body is not a Bachmann moulding. I can categorically state it's based on the Hornby model, right down to the buffer beam insert and even the cab innards. The shape and proportions exactly match the Hornby A4 body. The loco to tender hook doesn't look like any Bachmann model I've seen…?

post-1656-0-80695100-1393010761.jpg

post-1656-0-58184000-1393010812.jpg

The tender chassis was a very cheap spare from ebay, and hasn't got a rear buffer beam…yet.

The new chassis for Bachmann's A4 isn't available separately - more's the pity as this body shell looks rather good on top of the Bachmann chassis, which has different and more heavy duty valve gear compared to Hornby's A4.

There again, buy a Bachmann A4, throw away the body shell and tender, salvage the handrails, safety valve and whistle from the Bachman shells, and apply to these and suddenly…with a Hornby tender chassis and the Railroad Tornado drawbar fitted, suddenly the whole thing looks "right" to me. Lots to do, I plan to carve this up and get it repainted over Easter, but the £2.99 cost of each Mallard model alone is worth it just for the tender body.

In short, very pleased with mine. 

I hasten to add I'm not advocating people rush out and do modelling like this - Hornby's A4 is still the best on the market - but as a project, I rather like being able to make the things I need (like streamlined non corridor tenders for A4s, A3s and A2/2s) so these Mallard models are perfect for what I need.

• Like 2

A £2.99 impulse purchase from the newsagants in Jubilee Place (Canary Wharf) tonight.

Having not previously been aware of this model or RM thread.

One observation I noted is that the model includes cab glazing, wheras most of the Railroad models including the A4 and Tornado omit this feature.

• RMweb Premium

I bought mine in Watts bookshop in Sheringham on Thursday, six in stock there. There are some in the convenience store in Hatfield Peverel today too. It is a good model to try out weathering techniques.

- Richard.

The body is not a Bachmann moulding. I can categorically state it's based on the Hornby model, right down to the buffer beam insert and even the cab innards. The shape and proportions exactly match the Hornby A4 body. The loco to tender hook doesn't look like any Bachmann model I've seen…?

If the series proceeds to plan, this begs the question of whose Deltic their 'mystery shopper' will choose to buy for them to copy!

The Nim.

Oh they are definitely in the category of cheap knock offs, but cheap knock offs that are actually rather good for the price we're getting them at. The cost of a streamlined corridor tender on eBay, for example, can be as high as £40…having bought one of these for £2.99, a set of frames off eBay from Peter's Spares for £7 and a set of wheels for £4.50…well, see for yourself:

post-1656-0-29567000-1393078096.jpg

post-1656-0-59215200-1393078108.jpg

post-1656-0-86047300-1393078119.jpg

Overall there's a lot of potential here. Removing the moulded handrails proved very easy, the nameplate I doubt will be quite so easy! The tender just needs handrails, a bit of filler here and there, a repaint and for under £15 (using frames and wheels from Peter's spares) you have a new tender virtually indistinguishable from the real deal.

I think a few of these will make great diorama models - perhaps with smokebox door opened for maintenance or similar. Getting the older Railroad chassis on eBay and swapping over better valve gear/wheelsets will be cheap enough for that. For working models, the Bachmann chassis or the Railroad A3 chassis seems as good an option as any. If you're buying a full spec A4 Hornby chassis you may as well a full spec Hornby A4 in the first place though.

post-1656-0-29567000-1393078096.jpg

post-1656-0-59215200-1393078108.jpg

post-1656-0-86047300-1393078119.jpg

• Like 1

for those that are wondering what they look like dismantled, I was given one of these as a gift yesterday, and already its in bits....

Quatering isn't going to be a problem

Let's just hope Hornby's 'Design Clever' task force hasn't bought one of these :)

The Nim.

I was recently at Shildon for the Great Goodbye, and had been hoping to get a set of *something* featuring all six A4s. Even the little enamel pin badges would have come to over £20. However, I bought a copy of this magazine today to see if it had the potential for some bashing into another variant of A4. I'm not too worried about little detail differences, but my main concern was whether the side skirts could be removed. As it happens, it can:

post-793-0-22592100-1393091447.jpg

This was done simply by scoring the inside edge of the skirts (following the corner in the moulding) with a scalpel, then snapping the skirts off - they come off remarkably cleanly. The photo is pre-tidying up and fettling (and shows the body just mounted on the chassis and wheels without the brake gear). It still needs the front skirt section removing too.

I might end up with a set of six of these in various conditions. After all, one of them is done already, and they'd be cheaper than (if not quite as finely detailed as) the Hornby set!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

I bought what appeared to be the last one in the Penzance WHSmiths today seems a decent model, by no means prefect but good enough for me (as much as I want a Hornby A4 I can't afford one) mine had a lot of flash in between the wheel spokes and on hue bottom of the flanges I was quite surprised when I tried to remove these that the wheels are metal (I apologise if that's already been mentioned) overall very pleased with mine and looking forward to the others especially the Jinty, K3 and Rocket.

Rhys

Quite a few copies in Oxford Street WH Smith this afternoon...

Bought one and got a £5 off next £20 spend, and their special offer Norton Antivirus is on my 'to buy' list anyway so....

As stated by others only useful bits for kitbash are the body and tender top, all pretty cheap though...

I may peruse the other issues if they make it to the shelves - All too often these series peter out....

• RMweb Gold

I went into W H smiths today in Leicester today they had sold out but said that they were expecting a delivery on Tuesday. Manage to pick up a couple from a smaller news agents in town. Not bad did try to fit to a motor tender I have laying around. But I think it would be easier to buy a motor loco chassis and work that way round. I know except the power less tenders and powered loco chassis to triple over night on eBay 

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know anything about it but bought one of the several available at Brighton WHSmiths this afternoon.

If buying, check carefully as some showed damage, excessive gluing and in one instance a detached tender body. Thinking about redoing mine as a static model of Sir Nigel Gresley although the other two options are a Ebay for a laugh or landfill...

The paper work says the fourth one is a GWR 2800 class but the illustration shows a for me much more preferable Southern loco...

Big box full in the Magazine aisle of the big Asda at the North Swindon Orbital Retail Park Thamesdown Drive yesterday.

I almost bought one but uncharacteristically refrained when I suspected apart from the Hornby look alike body there would be absolutely nothing I could use on my admittedly GW/LM layout. Why couldn't they have done a castle for £2.99

I would have had 10 for the tenders and other parts.

Do the A4 bogie and Tender wheels revolve?

• Like 1

Big box full in the Magazine aisle of the big Asda at the North Swindon Orbital Retail Park Thamesdown Drive yesterday. I almost bought one but uncharacteristically refrained when I suspected apart from the Hornby look alike body there would be absolutely nothing I could use on my admittedly GW/LM layout. Why couldn't they have done a castle for £2.99 I would have had 10 for the tenders and other parts. Do the A4 bogie and Tender wheels revolve?

Wheels have stub axles and are rubbish fit for the bin where mine are !!

A couple of things i have found examining my a4 compared to the Hornby offering..

The curved lines that seperate the black fom the garter blue the red line is right but the white is too far away

On the Hornby model the loco chimney now is a seperate molding to allow all varations of chimney on an a4 to be modelled

which this part work issue has a fixed double chimney.

Inside the body the mounting for dummy chassis is on 2 single screw mounts. The Hornby has a clip at the back and

two body screw mounts for the mounting plate at the front.

Tender is nearly perfect just a bit of work on chassis a superb item

all in all a good find for the lner modeller!

A couple of things i have found examining my a4 compared to the Hornby offering..

The curved lines that seperate the black fom the garter blue the red line is right but the white is too far away

On the Hornby model the loco chimney now is a seperate molding to allow all varations of chimney on an a4 to be modelled

which this part work issue has a fixed double chimney.

Inside the body the mounting for dummy chassis is on 2 single screw mounts. The Hornby has a clip at the back and

two body screw mounts for the mounting plate at the front.

Tender is nearly perfect just a bit of work on chassis a superb item

all in all a good find for the lner modeller!

You must have different Tender from mine !!

The Tender body once it is rubbed down, defects filled ,new steps and handrails and then repainted will then be ok. The remainder is junk unless you intend having a stationary Tender.

• RMweb Premium

For £2.99 this is one of the all time great model bargains. If you want to try your hand at conversion or repainting then this is a great guinea pig. Or if you want to bulk up a depot diorama scene on a layout these are perfect (assuming you model the LNER!). Great start for a scene like a scrap yard. There are lots of opportunities to use the parts with other models. And personally I think it is more than good enough for static display in a cabinet. Given what you'll pay on EBay or at a dealer for an old SH Hornby or Bachmann A4 I think it'd be extremely churlish to criticise this model at the price.

• Like 1