Level crossing stupidity...

The Russian one has a problem. There is evidence on Youtube, where people stand on them forcing it down. One example depicts a BMW attempting to go over/around one, with people on it. At the last moment, they jump off, causing major damage!

Here it is. They set him up & he fell for it big time. Love the rescue attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0_o1N9hBw

Vodka??

The Russian one has a problem. There is evidence on Youtube, where people stand on them forcing it down. One example depicts a BMW attempting to go over/around one, with people on it. At the last moment, they jump off, causing major damage!

Here it is. They set him up & he fell for it big time. Love the rescue attempts.

Car still did not get on the railway against the flashing lights though, so it did it's job even if all around are being idiots!

• RMweb Premium

Given the nature of some of Russias wealthy, I'm not sure I'd be game to trash a random BMW in the open ;).

It was quite an elderly model. German MoT failures are often shipped east to Poland where the roadworthieness test is less stringent were when they fail that test they go further east. They leave Germany by the trainload, a very lucrative business for DR.

• RMweb Gold

I gather there has been an incident on the Welshpool and Llanfair. Other than a car got hit on a crossing and thankfully there are no injuries I have no other information.

Malcolm

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/mid-wales/welshpool/2018/04/06/heritage-railway-train-hit-car-on-level-crossing/

• RMweb Premium

Countless - princeless!

One will be repaired and returned to a working unit, the other will probably be written off. I wonder which will be made operable again?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here we go again: "Based on out-of-date and misleading information shown on his display screen, the Port Talbot signaller put signals to red on either side of a closed crossing".

This topic title assumes all fault on the public side, but time and again when we get the RAIB report there turns out to be fault on the railway side too. In this case a fatal accident could have been avoided. Full marks to the driver and guard on the previous train, and no marks to the signal engineers.

RAIB today: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5afedd99ed915d0994b957f6/R072018_180521_Trenos.pdf

Martin.

• Like 1

Here we go again: "Based on out-of-date and misleading information shown on his display screen, the Port Talbot signaller put signals to red on either side of a closed crossing".

This topic title assumes all fault on the public side, but time and again when we get the RAIB report there turns out to be fault on the railway side too. In this case a fatal accident could have been avoided. Full marks to the driver and guard on the previous train, and no marks to the signal engineers.

RAIB today: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5afedd99ed915d0994b957f6/R072018_180521_Trenos.pdf

Martin.

You conveniently left out some other statements that apportioned some of the blame on the person using the crossing (although I'm not saying the person using the crossing had misused crossing):

The pedestrian had walked onto the crossing, and did not move clear when the train driver repeatedly sounded the train horn and applied the emergency brake.

Approximately 20 minutes before the accident, another train had stopped at the crossing when its driver observed the pedestrian walking slowly over the crossing. The guard on this train had a short conversation with the pedestrian and, because he was concerned about her state of mind, asked his train driver to contact the signaller by radio

Whilst the signalling is to blame for not cautioning trains, the fact that the person ignored (either by choice or some other reasons) not only the verbal warning by the guard of one train, but by the driver of another several times via the horn, was also a contributing factor.

I'm not saying the signaller or signalling engineer is blame free, obviously not, but it is not as simple as the sole responsibility of the signalling engineers as you seem to imply. Obviously the women had some sort of mental health incident at the time, which a signal engineer, signaller or other railway staff could not predict or prevent. The problem with the signalling screen was compounded by fatigue of the signalling and some slight confusion by the train drivers (as I gather from the report). So, it is a combination of public and general railway errors which caused this awful incident, not just the signal engineer.

Simon

P.S. This is only my own opinion and not necessarily one held by my profession.

• RMweb Gold

it is not as simple as the sole responsibility of the signalling engineers as you seem to imply.

Hi Simon,

I didn't imply that. I said "there turns out to be fault on the railway side too" -- "too" means "in addition".

The guard on the previous train must have been gutted that after speaking to the old lady and doing his best to protect her, the system let him down and she was killed.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

This topic title assumes all fault on the public side, but time and again on occasion when we get the RAIB report there turns out to be fault on the railway side too. In this case a fatal accident could have been avoided. Full marks to the driver and guard on the previous train, and no marks to the signal engineers.

Martin.

Fixed it for you - compared to the number of incidents involving crossings where the public was at fault the number of times the railway is at fault is few.

I'll also quote this from the report

The accident occurred because the pedestrian walked onto the crossing and into

the path of an approaching train. However, it is possible that cautioning the train in

accordance with railway rules would have avoided the accident

They key word here which you have missed out of your comments is POSSIBLE not "would have" or "without doubt" or anything else which means with any certainty.

So the accident may still have occurred anyway - which kind of destroys your usual assasination of the railway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They key word here which you have missed out of your comments is POSSIBLE not "would have" or "without doubt" or anything else which means with any certainty.

I didn't say any of those things. I said "a fatal accident could have been avoided". Could have = "used for saying that something was possible in the past, even though it did not happen" - https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/could-have-done-something

Does it matter if it is the railway, a zebra crossing or anywhere else. Surely finding someone in a confused state would require calling one of the emergency services?

I do not know which one though.

She was placed in the care of a neighbour. Why should you expect more of the railway who have a job to do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fixed it for you - compared to the number of incidents involving crossings where the public was at fault the number of times the railway is at fault is few.

I'll also quote this from the report

So the accident may still have occurred anyway - which kind of destroys your usual assasination of the railway.

And the Report should in my view not have used the word 'would' but should have used the word 'might' as the possibility could have been quite remote and, it would appear, subject to factors which went beyond the speed at which trains were running (note what had originally happened with the Up train which had been running at restricted speed anyway).

Interestingly one also wonders quite what effect the cautioning might have had in view of the statement that the train operator did not require its drivers to have knowledge of 'passive crossings' - as noted in the Report

post-6859-0-05685200-1526926812_thumb.jpg

She was placed in the care of a neighbour. Why should you expect more of the railway who have a job to do.

For a practical reason that it could save the railway more problems, which it did have.

For the people involved, to save them the problems that follow watching a violent death or the aftermath.

I worked in deep mining and I'm sorry to say that I know what that is like.

Edited by scouser

Anybody see the incident on the Ashland VA railcam the other day?

For those that don't know it, Ashland has a double track main line, unfenced, down the centre of the street. Or more precisely, with a street on either side. Some of it is a dual carriageway (one way streets), other stretches have two way streets either side. The webcam looks at a barriered LC with a main road crossing the tracks (which are both bi-directional). In the distance is another similar crossing, but with a lesser road. The camera when controlled can easily zoom in to the further LC, but sadly was in auto mode when the incident occurred, so didn't. Anyway, a woman came from the right, went over the 1st street onto the LC then turned left along the street the other side of the tracks. Or at least tried to - she turned too quickly and buried the barrier post in her front bumper. After a minute or two with the tail end blocking one of the tracks (track 3) she reversed then went forward again. She couldn't turn left (the barrier now blocked that street) so she went straight on, not to be seen again!.

About 15 mins later the Police were there, (you could see the lights), followed later by the CSX gang in their trucks. A major rebuild took place involving much road digging, latterly in an absolute downpour.

Throughout this, track 3 remained open in both directions, with trains halted & flagged across. at very low speed, which caused large tailbacks on the main road (US trains are long, especially at walking pace!). The other track (track 2) was closed because of a washout outside town due to the storms. In all a massive job, it was still going on 5-6 hours after the incident when I stopped watching.

Stewart

For a practical reason that it could save the railway more problems, which it did.

For the people involved, to save them the problems that follow watching a violent death or the aftermath.

I worked in deep mining and I'm sorry to say that I know what that is like.

I agree. I work in the quarrying trade and also know what it is like to sort out the aftermath of a violent death.