Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Level crossing stupidity...

• Please log in to reply
2359 replies to this topic

#2351 Gary H

Gary H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:14

Indeed, although that doesn't prevent the daily carnage on Britain's roads which somehow seems to be accepted as just one of those things; Even horrendous lorry collisions causing multiple loss of life make the headlines for a couple of days and then disappear into obscurity. The issue for me is just how far the rail industry should be expected go to ensure safety at level crossings, and why whatever additional measures are necessary should increase the cost to the industry of maintaining and operating the network, when by far the majority of crossing incidents are road user error, deliberate or otherwise. 

The other big difference between the two transport modes ofcourse is that whilst a road traffic collision is deemed to be a driver's fault, most incidents on the railway (like drunk passengers falling between platform and train for example) become the the railway's fault.

Everybody is responsible for their own safety unless they happen to be on the railway, then it becomes the railway's responsibility. 

• Agree x 7

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2352 Coryton

Coryton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:40

So presumably the S&T could do the same if anybody reported it as broken.

So long as you don't find out that it's broken the hard way....

#2353 ejstubbs

ejstubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:28

Everybody is responsible for their own safety unless they happen to be on the railway, then it becomes the railway's responsibility. 

Nowadays it seems that everyone is responsible for their own safety unless they happen to be staring at a mobile phone, when it becomes everyone else's responsibility to protect them from their own stupidity.  Can't see any other reason for roadside clutter like this: http://www.independe...s-a7584081.html to be considered a good idea.

Edited by ejstubbs, 18 November 2017 - 11:28 .

• Agree x 5

#2354 phil-b259

phil-b259

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationBurgess Hill, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:33

A super wizzo experimental fixed safety system with sirens and yellow flashing lights triggered by the trains was set up on the curves north of Leighton Buzzard on the WCML some years ago at vast expense, (£ millions). The head office people responsible brought some representatives of the RAIB out to see it, and I heard that they were somewhat un-impressed to find a local PW maintenance gang working in the middle of it under the protection of a lookoutman.

Availability of spares and training to use the system are just as important as the system physically being present. You cannot just 'turn up' and use any old system that happens to be there. For There are over 10 types of track circuit in existence and unless you have been on a training course for that type then even a S&T person cannot work on them.

#2355 phil-b259

phil-b259

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,490 posts
  • LocationBurgess Hill, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:40

So long as you don't find out that it's broken the hard way....

Any 'safe system of work' must be tested before use - and furthermore all automated systems must have continuous feedback to the operator that all is OK. This might be a device like that gives a continuous set of clicks (like a Geiger counter) to reassure users that it is powered up and working (and thus will correctly issue a warning if the equipment fails IN ANY WAY or if it detects a train.

Simply sticking yellow lights on poles and having them flash only when a train approaches is not safe.

• Agree x 2

#2356 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30,343 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 18:30

A super wizzo experimental fixed safety system with sirens and yellow flashing lights triggered by the trains was set up on the curves north of Leighton Buzzard on the WCML some years ago at vast expense, (£ millions). The head office people responsible brought some representatives of the RAIB out to see it, and I heard that they were somewhat un-impressed to find a local PW maintenance gang working in the middle of it under the protection of a lookoutman.

FATCOWS? (which did have a continuous safety tone) 

Edited by The Stationmaster, 18 November 2017 - 18:31 .

#2357 corneliuslundie

corneliuslundie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Powys

Posted 18 November 2017 - 19:09

I have often said that if tomorrow someone invented the motor vehicle for the first time it would never be allowed on the roads as far, far too dangerous.

But there is dangerous current trend: "I know my rights2 combined with "I don't have to look after myself, it is the job of others". While we have this mix we shall never make much progress on issues such as those we are discussing.

Jonathan

• Agree x 4

#2358 lmsforever

lmsforever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Locationaylesbury

Posted 18 November 2017 - 19:20

Latest item on this in todays news about Polegate crossing an 89yr old lady was hit on the head the gate and knocked to the ground claimed not enough time to get over ,and last year another elderly person was trapped between the gates.A picture attached showed a bystander running to help this lady ,residents say the time for crossing is not enough 16 seconds it does seem a short time.Surely the signal person was watching and could have intervened or have they no means of doing but I would have thought they could?

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#2359 Coryton

Coryton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 22:15

I have often said that if tomorrow someone invented the motor vehicle for the first time it would never be allowed on the roads as far, far too dangerous.

It was fine until they got rid of the person walking in front with a red flag...

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1

#2360 Colin_McLeod

Colin_McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,717 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 23:43

I heard that he got run over.

Serves him right - walking in the traffic like that. :)
  • Funny x 2