Looking for plans/photos of Highland Railway station buildings

gwrkev

I'm building a small layout in 'N' gauge depicting an imaginary branch off the Kyle Line to Gairloch in the 1970's. Does anyone know where I can find drawings or decent photos of a Highland Railway 'batten and board' station building? I found plans for a signal box (Helmsdale) in an old Railway Modeller but all I've got for the station building is some pics of Steve Flint's 'Kyle of Tongue' from a few years back. I can probably guess some of the dimensions from those but I can't clearly see the platform elevation under the awning. Thanks!

I'm building a small layout in 'N' gauge depicting an imaginary branch off the Kyle Line to Gairloch in the 1970's. Does anyone know where I can find drawings or decent photos of a Highland Railway 'batten and board' station building? I found plans for a signal box (Helmsdale) in an old Railway Modeller but all I've got for the station building is some pics of Steve Flint's 'Kyle of Tongue' from a few years back. I can probably guess some of the dimensions from those but I can't clearly see the platform elevation under the awning. Thanks!

The Railway Modeller March 1976 has a drawing of Carrbridge and Duirnish, April 1976 has  Plockton, The drawings are 2mm as well.

Colin

A Pictorial History of LMS Architecture (OPC) has drawings of Newtonmore (stone) and Carr Bridge (Timber) station buildings and the typical timber goods shed. (and an iron footbridge)

The Model Railway News ran a series of articles comprehensively covering Garve Station in 1952 and Burghead appeared in 1953.

I seem to recall that the late lamented Morill had some items by Simon da Sousa about building Highland buildings from plastic sheet, but I have no references to confirm that.

Hi,

I think that the ones coachman refers to were in the Model Railway News mid 50s. I have copies somewhere! These were part of a series by Hendry Orbach, based on the research he did in preparation for his "Garve and Ullapool Railway" layout which featured later in the same magazine. Most of the buildings etc at Garve were drawn and photographed.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions. I saved all my precious MORILL's and I forgot that Simon Souza had a series of articles in there. Most were about building HR wagons in plastic card but there are useful drawings of Kinloss signal box (looks an easier prospect to model in 2mm than Helmsdale!) and the standard weighbridge hut.

However, I've found copies of March and April 1976 RM's on eBay so will be keeping an eye on them and it seems my county library has a copy of the OPC book on LMS architecture so I'll request a loan of that if the Ebay bidding gets silly.

Kevin

Kevin.

Welcome to the Scottish trap. I fell for it a few years ago and have not looked back since.

Have you tried the Highland Railway Society. Their website is:- www.hrsoc.org.uk

Looking forward to the progress.

All the best.

Andy Neil.

• RMweb Gold

Illustrated Survey of LMS Stations (Hendry and Hendry) has photos of Boat of Garten and of Dingwall (up island platform - not the main down platform which had stone buildings). Both have features in common although boarding itself is not the same.

• RMweb Premium

I am archiving a friends set of MRC and RM's for my own modelling purposes (I'm a daft HR nut too, but am copying every useful drawing and article for other compainies, 6gig so far!) and have lots of drawings. Indeed i have the 1976 volume for archiving at the minute (its the one I'm going to be starting on this afternoon) so I could share the wealth with you. PM if you are interested.

Andy G

Kevin.
Welcome to the Scottish trap. I fell for it a few years ago and have not looked back since.
Have you tried the Highland Railway Society. Their website is:- www.hrsoc.org.uk

Looking forward to the progress.

All the best.

Andy Neil.

The Highland Railway Society have compiled a list of all of the articles that have been published on the Highland Railway in the modelling magazines.  This is freely available to members and non members alike at http://www.hrsoc.org.uk/images/Model%20Magazine%20Research%20Index.pdf

I do note it has not been updated for a bit and I happen to know that there will be drawings of Kyle's signal cabin to go in the Highland Railway Society Journal fairly shortly but it is otherwise pretty comprehensive.

You will probably want to go for Plockton from what you have described; it is a fairly small station building but not as tiddly as Duirnish.

Fine Peter Bond's articles on building the cabin for his layout (based on Kyle) in the August and September BRM from last year to see how he built them.  It is a very nice model indeed (and he built my two cabins for Portchullin.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

Many thanks all for the further replies and some useful links. I managed to get a copy of the March '76 RM on eBay for a reasonable sum, and the plans for Carr Bridge should do the trick. I will need to reduce the building a little in length but the drawings give me all the important dimensions and the photos show some useful detail. Hoping to start construction over the holiday so will post progress reports shortly!

Kevin

• 4 months later...

Hi, just seen this forum.  I like you fell for the HR, over 35 year's ago in fine scale O.  The interest until recently resulted in a scratch built Skye Bogie No 86 as probably running in 1915. Recently  I have found a nearbye friend who has a nice track in his steading (NE Scotland for byre) and meets there have resulted in renewed interest.  A model railway is building.

Now what might be of help to you.  I see someone has refered you to the National Record Office of Scotland.  This has proven to be a treasure trove.  Like you I wanted drawings of an HR station.  It had to be board and batten with a slate roof, ideally on the Buckie Branch.  I thought my chances were zero, considering the track was lifted in 1915.  However it was relaid by the LMS in the 1920s and thanks to the Record Office  online catalogue I found the LMS had re-surveyed it and drawn up plans of all the buildings.   The plans I wanted were in their Sighthill annex.  This is open on Wednesday afternoon for an booked visit.  Joining the oganisation as a reader is simple and the local staff amazingly helpful .  After joining the plans I had ordered were produced in a well equipped reading room, they could not be copied by them( copyright issues) but I was free to photograph them as I wished.  The archivist helped me in this,  she really went the extra mile with lights and rulers to get the best images.  Consequently I now have plans for the ground layout at 40' to the inch and plans of Rathven station at1/8" to the foot. (next visit I will get the plans of the two agents houses and possibly the overbridges) The place is a treasure chest of maps /plans and architech plans.  The archivist said how much she enjoyed the chance to find this sort of stuff in the stacks, she told me from the record card that nobody had looked at these objects since 1948.(some plans are beautiful, all hand coloured )  So if you can get to Edinburgh, join, and get a pile of stuff ordered up to look at.  You will have a day to remember.

Consequently I now have plans for the ground layout at 40' to the inch and plans of Rathven station at1/8" to the foot. (next visit I will get the plans of the two agents houses and possibly the overbridges) The place is a treasure chest of maps /plans and architech plans. 

I think Simon De Seoza based his station building for his Corrieshalloch layout on Rathven (and I think the whole layout is Rathven in mirror image).  There have been pictures of this in back issues of the Highland Railway Journal and probably in the Scalefour News too.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

Hi, just seen this forum.  I like you fell for the HR, over 35 year's ago in fine scale O.  The interest until recently resulted in a scratch built Skye Bogie No 86 as probably running in 1915. Recently  I have found a nearbye friend who has a nice track in his steading (NE Scotland for byre) and meets there have resulted in renewed interest.  A model railway is building.

At the risk of going slightly off topic, welcome aboard- it's good to see another HR modeller here- and hope you enjoy your stay, Any chance of a layout build thread?

I used the Scottish Record Office many years ago when I was pursuing a NB based project, which never saw the light of day, but can say that the amount of railway information there was mind boggling,  and is a largely untapped asset.

Now what might be of help to you.  I see someone has refered you to the National Record Office of Scotland.  This has proven to be a treasure trove.  Like you I wanted drawings of an HR station.  It had to be board and batten with a slate roof, ideally on the Buckie Branch.  I thought my chances were zero, considering the track was lifted in 1915.  However it was relaid by the LMS in the 1920s and thanks to the Record Office  online catalogue I found the LMS had re-surveyed it and drawn up plans of all the buildings.   The plans I wanted were in their Sighthill annex.  This is open on Wednesday afternoon for an booked visit.  Joining the oganisation as a reader is simple and the local staff amazingly helpful .  After joining the plans I had ordered were produced in a well equipped reading room, they could not be copied by them( copyright issues) but I was free to photograph them as I wished.  The archivist helped me in this,  she really went the extra mile with lights and rulers to get the best images.  Consequently I now have plans for the ground layout at 40' to the inch and plans of Rathven station at1/8" to the foot. (next visit I will get the plans of the two agents houses and possibly the overbridges) The place is a treasure chest of maps /plans and architech plans.  The archivist said how much she enjoyed the chance to find this sort of stuff in the stacks, she told me from the record card that nobody had looked at these objects since 1948.(some plans are beautiful, all hand coloured )  So if you can get to Edinburgh, join, and get a pile of stuff ordered up to look at.  You will have a day to remember.

Thanks for the information; unfortunately I struggle to find time to do much modelling, let alone make a day trip to Edinburgh! I'm working from the plans for Carr Bridge in the March 1976 RM and it's not turning out too bad, will post some pictures when it's complete. Have you posted any pictures of your own project yet - it sounds very interesting.

Kevin

• 4 years later...

Hi, just seen this forum. I like you fell for the HR, over 35 year's ago in fine scale O. The interest until recently resulted in a scratch built Skye Bogie No 86 as probably running in 1915. Recently I have found a nearbye friend who has a nice track in his steading (NE Scotland for byre) and meets there have resulted in renewed interest. A model railway is building.

Now what might be of help to you. I see someone has refered you to the National Record Office of Scotland. This has proven to be a treasure trove. Like you I wanted drawings of an HR station. It had to be board and batten with a slate roof, ideally on the Buckie Branch. I thought my chances were zero, considering the track was lifted in 1915. However it was relaid by the LMS in the 1920s and thanks to the Record Office online catalogue I found the LMS had re-surveyed it and drawn up plans of all the buildings. The plans I wanted were in their Sighthill annex. This is open on Wednesday afternoon for an booked visit. Joining the oganisation as a reader is simple and the local staff amazingly helpful . After joining the plans I had ordered were produced in a well equipped reading room, they could not be copied by them( copyright issues) but I was free to photograph them as I wished. The archivist helped me in this, she really went the extra mile with lights and rulers to get the best images. Consequently I now have plans for the ground layout at 40' to the inch and plans of Rathven station at1/8" to the foot. (next visit I will get the plans of the two agents houses and possibly the overbridges) The place is a treasure chest of maps /plans and architech plans. The archivist said how much she enjoyed the chance to find this sort of stuff in the stacks, she told me from the record card that nobody had looked at these objects since 1948.(some plans are beautiful, all hand coloured ) So if you can get to Edinburgh, join, and get a pile of stuff ordered up to look at. You will have a day to remember.

I must check out the National Record Office next time I am down in Edinburgh. NCAP the National Collection of Aerial Photography is another great source of information. I am researching the Far North Line in Sutherland and found aerial images very useful for layout of stations and other associated man made features from LMS era. Some images are available online, but not the full collection, I booked a day at the Edinburgh Office where the staff were also extremely helpful. Prints and digital copies can be purchased from the collection - publishing licences are also available. http://ncap.org.uk Edited by Marly51