British outline locos overseas

Black8

Three Drewry shunters were exported to Eritrea in 1941. It seems two still survive, one awaiting a new engine at Asmara, and the other still servicable at Massawa.

Despite going there last year, I failed to take any shots of them! Bit of a way to go back just for a couple of photos.

Shame that you missed recording these locomotives, 5944, as information about their history seems sparse and often contradictory. 

For instance, they do not appear to be mentioned in the loco lists in "Far Wheels" or "Eisenbahnerlebnis Äthiopien".  The article in Locomotives International 43 (follow link from first link in your post) has the three locomotives carrying the following Drewry Car worksplates:

2075/1936

2078/1937

2078/1938

Another list (Mike Page?) gives different identities:

N1 DC CDM 2037/1937

2 DC 4wPM 2075/1937

N3 DC CDM 2083/1937

Obviously the worksplates are more likely to accurate, but the apparent duplication of works number 2078 (which I cannot find corrected in subsequent editions of LI) doesn't seem right. DC 2037 can't be right, as that was one of a batch of petrol shunters built for the LNER, .  Drewry Car builders lists (e.g. as included in Bradley's "GEC Traction") suggest that these locomotives were first supplied to the Sudan Government:

2075/1936 (3'6" gauge)

2078/1936 (2'0" gauge, but identified as for Eagle Oil & Shipping Co., Mexico)

2079/1936 (2'0" gauge)

2083/1936 (2'0" gauge)

So, I'd tentatively suggest that the true identities are 2075, 2078 and 2083, having suffered various transcription errors along the way.  How they got to Ethiopia/Eritrea would be interesting to know - were they intercepted en route by hostile forces?

This link http://www.trainweb.org/eritrean/scrapbook/who/dave_engstrom/Eritrea1941.htm suggests that the locomotives may have been sent over from Sudan and re-gauged during the 1941 Eritrean campaign.

Edited by EddieB

Overseas?  How about under the sea?

Anyone have any information on the SS Thistlegorm?  I don't know much about it, but came across a thread on Reddit / Imgur about it here...

http://imgur.com/gallery/L3YK3

The sixth photo down certainly looks like a UK tender to me...

More photos of the Thistlegorm and its load including what was left of the loco. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/thistlegorm/interesting/

Edited by milkamn matt

The DCDR has BREL RB3, one of the BREL Railbus prototypes built in the 80s. NIR purchased it for service, (Larne Line?) but then after a while it was only used for works trains and crew transport. It doesn't work, and the awkward door arrangement (one door at one end on each side) made it awkward for wheelchair access. It was hauled by tamper 7 to make up for the ITG's outing that was cancelled due to flooding.

Sorry for the bad photo, it's the best I have (it's usually sandwiched on both sides by a coach and an inspection vehicle)

There are 2 British 4' 8.5" locos (well, one loco and a Railbus) in Ireland at the Old Corn Mill railway in Riverstown gathering moss, RB002, "The Denmark," (sister of RB3) and NCB, "Robert Nelson No. 4." It appears that no one knows much about the place or the loco's current state, as it appears to be closed (?) presumably after the locos began to fall apart. Robert Nelson No. 4 is believed to be housed in something little more than a garden shed, and RB2 and a brake van are outside. Weirdly, there are no good photos of the internet of the place... Shame, poor things. :(

This was rather helpful: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1991#.Un5I_zIgGSM

Edited by Jawfin
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Saturday 15 June 1985 a BRE Leyland railbus made six return trips on the Enschede-Gronau line, in an attempt to revive traffic on this line straddling the Dutch-German border. The campaign group's operating company, which existed for one day only, was called Bus On Rails Enschede Gronau (BOREG).

Photo by Rob van Ee, near bottom of this page:
http://www.bcpeters.dds.nl/spoorzoeker_tmp/overig/reactivering_enschede_gronau/geschiedenis.html

And another one, three quarters down this page:

http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?17,5706055

The experiment did not lead to a resumption of regular traffic, nor to export orders for BRE-L.

Electric locos then:
The seven-strong 27000 class (EM2, Class 77) BR electrics were sold to Dutch railway operator NS in 1969.
And as GoingUnderground mentioned, even before NS had their own electrics, LNER 6000 (EM1 "Tommy")was used under the Dutch wires from 1947 to 1952. Pictures of these 1500 Volt machines on this page by Nico Spilt.

Edited by RobClogs
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

So is anyone modelling any of this? I think I am one of the few people in the UK modelling New South Wales, or maybe there's another madman out there.

John

Last time I worked on a trip, there was someone who told me they are the only known O Gauge NSW modeller in the whole of the UK.

I am currently working on doing up a HO 3D ROD and Mersey Tank, both used by J&A Brown in the Hunter Region

• Like 3

has Hunslet "Picton" been mentioned here yet, or the Hunslet 05's built to replace it.

Kitson, Thompson & Hewitson of Leeds built the Fairy queen in 1855 for the East Indian railway company, on the 13th of jan 1998, Guineess world records awarded it with the title of the worlds oldest regularly operational engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fairy_queen_(locomotive)

So is anyone modelling any of this? I think I am one of the few people in the UK modelling New South Wales, or maybe there's another madman out there.

John

Hi John,

There are a few people in the UK modelling Aussie prototypes. I'm dabbling with Victorian Broad Gauge, and Ian Hunter's 'Broadford' will be at Wigan 7/8th June which although Victorian runs Victorian & NSW models due to it being on the Melbourne-Sydney route.

Al

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

[...]

Concerning new locomotives, the position is clearer.  BP built three 0-6-0s: 330/1862, 834/1868 and 925/1869 as nos. 11-13.  (Some sources add a fourth, claiming that BP 329/1862 went here instead of Cernavoda-Constanta, becoming Oriental Railways no. 289).  [...]

The BP 834 / 1868 (Order No 2236) built for the Danube and Black Sea Railway. Is this a typical Beyer Peacock design? Some information which I've got mention:

• Wheels: 3 ft 11 in
  • Cylinders: 16" x 22"
  • Working pressure: 8 atm
  • Grate area: 14 sq. ft.
  • Total heating surface: 1023 1/2 sq. ft.
  • Weight in working order: 28 T

Are other dimensions known? Like wheelbase, boiler diameter and length, length over buffers etc.

Edited by Valentin

There were a few class 04s that ended up being exported to Italy. I think at least one was working until a number of years ago and was unique in being the only surviving 04 at the time that had carried Rail Blue whilst owned by BR. The Heritage shunters people in Rowsley had an appeal for a while to raise the money to repatriate it but I don't know what happened to the appeal or the loco.

The BP 834 / 1868 (Order No 2236) built for the Danube and Black Sea Railway. Is this a typical Beyer Peacock design? Some information which I've got mention:

• Wheels: 3 ft 11 in
  • Cylinders: 16" x 22"
  • Working pressure: 8 atm
  • Grate area: 14 sq. ft.
  • Total heating surface: 1023 1/2 sq. ft.
  • Weight in working order: 28 T

Are other dimensions known? Like wheelbase, boiler diameter and length, length over buffers etc.

Can't help with other dimensions for the moment, but driving wheel diameter is given as 4' 0 1/2" in Joe Lloyds Illustrated BP list (vol 1 p46).

The builder's photo is almost identical to another product - BP 795/1867 "CREWE" - save for the cow-catcher (pilot). That loco, which was built for the Crewe Coal & Iron Co., was the forerunner of the BP "2131" class (taken from the order no. of 795). The Danube & Black Sea loco had a larger saddletank than the "standard" 2131 type (I almost said "Crewe type", but that would really confuse)., of which another half dozen were built to the same design for the UK market (bns 1010/1, 1132, 1829/30, 2157).

Let's not forget the 40-strong MetroVick/BP class 46 Bo-Bo electrics, or the ten class 41 Bo-Bo diesel-electrics built by Metro-Cammell/BTH.

I don't have any fond memories of either class. The 46s were rough riding and until the original bar-stool cab seats were replaced, very uncomfortable to work. The 41s were equally forgettable. Cramped, noisy, draughty and very prone to fires.

I remember seeing one catch fire at Delec one evening. The young fireman was running around tryIng to find an extinguisher, but his mate just stood there and said, "Son, let the bastard burn."

Cheers,

Mark.

The 41s were equally forgettable. Cramped, noisy, draughty and very prone to fires.

Cheers,

Mark.

There's basically the main reasons that 4102 is unlikely to run again in the near future. That, and it is very unreliable

John

Hi John,

You're not totally alone! I have an AD60 but that doesn't make me a 'modeller' of NSW although I have recently taken an interest in QLD and it's 3'6" gauge! A friend of a friend is actively modelling down under railways but I don't know if he is on here.

My problem is that I'm trying to follow British H0, Greek H0, a bit of QLD H0n3 1/2, some P4 and some others besides! It just keeps the interest flowing and is relentlessly fascinating, following so many different prototypes.

Speaking of Queensland Railways, they certainly had several classes powered by EE engines but built by EE at Rocklea, Qld. Some have quite a familiar look to them and they certainly sound familiar. I realise that being built in Queensland obviously disqualifies them as 'British' but they are basically 'British licence'!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi John,

You're not totally alone! I have an AD60 but that doesn't make me a 'modeller' of NSW although I have recently taken an interest in QLD and it's 3'6" gauge!

'Sir? Yes, we've lost another one to those oop North.'

Back to British outline, and it's amazing how many familiar looking engines pop up on here:

http://www.australiansteam.com/nswindframe.htm(this is just NSW Industrial. The whole site is worth a look)

• Like 1

Speaking of Queensland Railways, they certainly had several classes powered by EE engines but built by EE at Rocklea, Qld. Some have quite a familiar look to them and they certainly sound familiar. I realise that being built in Queensland obviously disqualifies them as 'British' but they are basically 'British licence'!

Cheers,

John E.

The QR 1200 class were genuine British exports, built by English Electric/Vulcan Foundry.  (Have they been mentioned before in this thread?)

The last survivor, 1208, was rebuilt at Redbank works and renumbered 1225.  Seen here at Toowoomba in 1987.

post-10122-0-90967600-1417373986_thumb.jpg

EE also supplied four locos to Mount Isa Mines, Queensland, in the 1930s.

Thanks Eddie!

Do you know, I looked on Wiki and it says built in "Bradford", which I assumed was the site of an EE works in Australia!!!

The class 1200 site confirms they were built at Vulcan: http://www.qrig.org/motive-power/locomotives/diesel/qrnational/english-electric-1200-class

That will teach me to check more thoroughly!

Anyway, I had hunted through this thread earlier and could find no mention of them, thanks for supplying a picture of one. (I used to have friends from Toowoomba, many years ago!).

Just out of interest, Wuiske models can supply a model in kit form!!!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the map link will work. I've just emailed it to my dad, and it doesn't seem to be working for him, but hey ho.

https://www.google.it/maps/@41.1120948,16.550702,103m/data=!3m1!1e3

http://www.ferramentapugliese.it/materialiferrosi/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/azienda-ferramenta-pugliese.jpg

South of Terlizzi, a few miles west of Bari, Italy, alongside the SP231 main road. From a discussion on the Industrial Railway Society's Yahoo group, looks like it could be either 03157 or 03164. Streetview of the above map shows the loco in situ in 2008, so may not be there any more.

• 7 months later...

That's one of the 24 class that was sold to the Electricity Commission of NSW and ran at Bunnerong power station.

Cheers,

Mark.

2535 as the number indicates is a member of the Z25 class of locomotives. The Z24s, of which 2408, 2413, 2414 and 2423 were Bunnerong power station locomotives,  were delivered after the Z25s to augment a lack of motive power at the time. Of these locomotives, 2408, 2413 and 2414 survive, as well as 2535.

2535 was sold from the government railways to Australian Iron & Steel (AIS). After it was retired, it was plinthed at the company's visitor information centre at Coniston where it wore a lined green livery. Of interest is the buckling present in the running boards, which resulted from poor chain placement when the locomotive was lifted into position on its plinth. This locomotive now resides at Dorrigo. 2408 and 2414 also survive in the collection of the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum, with these locomotives being ex Bunnerong No.7 and 5 respectively. 2413, ex Bunnerong 6 is stored at Junee roundhouse on static display. 2423 has been scrapped.

Hope this helps

Regards

Edited by aaron3820

Many of the very early rail-roads in the the US had locos (and rail!) imported from the UK. Although export models, I imagine that they would have been pretty much the same as locos running here at the time.

A good bit later, this PRR loco, the class T, (D15 post 1895) 1515 of 1892 was American designed and built, but very much using British aesthetics

PRR_D15_1515.jpg

This is 2535:

2535.jpg

The engine in the previous photo was miscaptioned/misidentified, it was as I previously posted an ex-24 class loco from Bunnerong power station, 2408:

2408.jpg

2408a.jpg

Hope this helps more.

Mark.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...