A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Here's one for Spams as 34007  Wadebridge leaves Plymouth North Road for Exeter in 1958.

attachicon.gif34007 Wadebridge.jpg

Sorry but No. 7 didn't get a mod tender until 1962. Quite like the graphics though and whoever does this is damn clever; just needs some support with detail..

P

Edited by Mallard60022

A shame the area to the left is not so well done. Certainly water tower is completely wrong and the coal office is missing.

Not exactly suprised though as this area seems very photo shy, currently drawing up the coal office from one very grainy photo. Not clear enough to work out the large white cross on the front. It looks like a sign but is too big....

Is the same "shed" in this 1930 aerial shot?. It looks to be erected at the same oblique angle to the water tower.

post-9751-0-62619500-1516568001_thumb.png

I can see a horse poking it's head around the corner and what might be some meagre coal piles and a set of large scales.

I wonder when the shed turned to the dark side.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is the same "shed" in this 1930 aerial shot?. It looks to be erected at the same oblique angle to the water tower.

attachicon.gifBRENT SHED 2.png 

I can see a horse poking it's head around the corner and what might be some meagre coal piles and a set of large scales.

I wonder when the shed turned to the dark side.

That’s rather useful,

I had completely forgotten about those aerial photos

Still can’t work out what that white cross is on the front though

That’s rather useful,

It might be the site of the lost chapel of the Knights Hospitaller in Brent.....or maybe not. Captain Kernow's ancestors would have been able to help.

post-9751-0-29757200-1516571426.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That’s rather useful,

I’ve been looking at it again

Is it an access door to an upstairs floor, with the owners sign split either side of the door?

Which leass to a question, does anyone know who the coal merchant was in Brent...

Is it an access door to an upstairs floor, with the owners sign split either side of the door?

Which leass to a question, does anyone know who the coal merchant was in Brent...

The scale track plan of Brent towards the end (p232) of the OPC KIngsbridge Branch reveals the legend "Hawke's Store" under a magnifying class. i don't know if this is already on your radar or how long the name is good for.

Edit

There seems to have been a family of Hawkes residing in Dartmouth, at least three of whom appear to have been coal merchants in a "well known business" in the first half of the 20th century. 1939 Dartmouth Directory - W.A.Hawke & Son, Coal Merchant, Mayor's Avenue. Is 17 miles too far away from South Brent?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall reading that the SR did put some yellow and red (where appropriate) colouring on some stock quite early on to help the continental sorts arriving via various ports - but was it that early?

I thought it was on EMUs following Kent Coast, which fits with your recollection. But that would be by 1961, say 1960. Steam stock probably a little later.

• RMweb Gold

It might be the site of the lost chapel of the Knights Hospitaller in Brent.....or maybe not. Captain Kernow's ancestors would have been able to help.

attachicon.gifcaptain kernow.jpg

It's not possible to comment at this moment.

Such information is subject to the 1000 year rule, or the 1000 Year Rule, as it's known locally.

Any anyway, I think you've got it wrong, that can't be anything to do with me, our capes were navy blue, not black.

• RMweb Gold

The scale track plan of Brent towards the end (p232) of the OPC KIngsbridge Branch reveals the legend "Hawke's Store" under a magnifying class. i don't know if this is already on your radar or how long the name is good for.

Edit

There seems to have been a family of Hawkes residing in Dartmouth, at least three of whom appear to have been coal merchants in a "well known business" in the first half of the 20th century. 1939 Dartmouth Directory - W.A.Hawke & Son, Coal Merchant, Mayor's Avenue. Is 17 miles too far away from South Brent?

According to the original Williams book from OPC on page 42 it says there was a stores building  and alongside a black timbered building belonging to a local trader.

I would either pm Coach Bogie to ask him or email him [David Geen] direct to see if he knows.

It might be an upper door or opening judging from the upper photograph on p46 of my copy of the OPC book which shows an open black void with white boards either side just peeping over the goods shed roof.

It might be an upper door or opening judging from the upper photograph on p46 of my copy of the OPC book which shows an open black void with white boards either side just peeping over the goods shed roof.

I suspect the vertical structure  is a separate  one from the horizontal board. What possibly springs to mind is an access structure for lowering sacks of coal to waiting wagons below.

• RMweb Gold

There is also a partial photo on the page before showing it in br day’s with a black sign

Think I am near enough there on the design now, it’s just going to be ther lettering that’s going to be the hard part

Will try to get to Mr Geens last show to ask the master