A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Actually it looks to me like the signals are set for the Class 22 and the train in platform 7, and that 34007 has passed a signal at danger.

Agreed, except that a spam going TO Exeter would be leaving from the other end of the station!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, except that a spam going TO Exeter would be leaving from the other end of the station!

Paul.

Not always young man.

post-126-0-09067400-1516647853.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Actually it looks to me like the signals are set for the Class 22 and the train in platform 7, and that 34007 has passed a signal at danger.

Getting ahead of the 22 before the diesel fails on the route. Probably a good idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No.  North Road East signal 177 on the right of the picture applies to the spamcan so that bit is sort of right but ground disc 155 is off for a move in the opposite direction so that is definitely wrong.  However it should be noted that at the platform end North Road East signal 182 is also off - for the Western engine and train approaching alongside Platform No.7 - and that is wrong unless 177 has just been cleared to allow the spamcan to draw its train forward to signal 175 where it will be held for the Western engine to go past it on the Up Main.  However I think from the way the view is drawn, and the position of the Western train in Platform 7, that signal 182 should be at danger.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

Jammy fellow! Where was that then?

Philth

Thanks! It was a fun day. Couple of years ago at the Watercress Line. We went from Alresford to Ropley and back a few times while everyone had their turn, under close supervision, of driving and firing. Of the two, firing was more fun but nothing beats pulling the whistle chain!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Possibly quite a niche product. Slightly limited on period to a handful of years. Small number made. Geographically not widespread. Will sell like hot cakes and will be seen on a wide range of layouts as a 'special', 'Rule 1', 'it's my layout'... 

Sadly not available in 7mm.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly quite a niche product. 

I disagree, why not instead produce an accurate vehicle seen all over the country and could be seen in various liveries throughout its life. Something like a full brake for example. I hope the gun sells but I'm not convinced.

Sierd could have got his hands on a full sized "version" if he had acted quickly a few years ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299032/Rare-200-tonne-railway-gun-make-historic-journey-Utrecht-mark-300th-anniversary-treaty-ended-Spanish-War.html

Now he If wants a model of it he will have rely on the eBay ANTB Global Shipping Programme.

(Sorry about the Dally Wail)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's one for Spams as 34007  Wadebridge leaves Plymouth North Road for Exeter in 1958.

attachicon.gif34007 Wadebridge.jpg

Pedant alert....well it is a "commercial product". The date is all over the place.The 22's carried the yellow apron from mid 1962 .The Plymouth Friary-Waterloo portion IS heading in the wrong direction unless diverted from the Meldon viaduct due to engineering work.The Bulleid light pacifics were though regular performers over the South Devon banks as Rob's photo of a westbound train of WR stock clearly shows. 34038 was a Plymouth Friary loco.Ah,the ramblings of a doddery old........But I did see them at North Road in the 50's,seeing 34037 also 72D there for starters in August 1953...a week before Dennis Compton (remember him ?) hit the winning run to win the Ashes for England.Laira had an allocation of Britannias which worked the CRE from Plymouth to Penzance and Penzance had an allocation of Granges which seemed to work every other train there.

• Like 3

Sierd could have got his hands on a full sized "version" if he had acted quickly a few years ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299032/Rare-200-tonne-railway-gun-make-historic-journey-Utrecht-mark-300th-anniversary-treaty-ended-Spanish-War.html

Now he If wants a model of it he will have rely on the eBay ANTB Global Shipping Programme.

(Sorry about the Dally Wail)

Oh, I went to that exhibition, did some haggling but sadly was overbid...

Nice exhibition though:

post-13158-0-68184700-1516735889_thumb.jpg

But this was the real centerpiece. :jester:

post-13158-0-35495100-1516735909_thumb.jpg

(My daughter didn't really like the fat controller)

• Like 6

(My daughter didn't really like the fat controller)

I'm not surprised as she was short changed because that is obviously the Tall Dutch Controller not a British style Fat Controller 

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Pedant alert....well it is a "commercial product". The date is all over the place.The 22's carried the yellow apron from mid 1962 .The Plymouth Friary-Waterloo portion IS heading in the wrong direction unless diverted from the Meldon viaduct due to engineering work.The Bulleid light pacifics were though regular performers over the South Devon banks as Rob's photo of a westbound train of WR stock clearly shows. 34038 was a Plymouth Friary loco.Ah,the ramblings of a doddery old........But I did see them at North Road in the 50's,seeing 34037 also 72D there for starters in August 1953...a week before Dennis Compton (remember him ?) hit the winning run to win the Ashes for England.Laira had an allocation of Britannias which worked the CRE from Plymouth to Penzance and Penzance had an allocation of Granges which seemed to work every other train there.

Yes it could have been a SR crew familarisation run up the WR, however that would almost certainly have been WR coaches and not green Mk1s. In fact I am fairly certain that any SR Mk1s would have been maroon and cream anyway at this date. When did Mk1s get the C1 on the ends? Thought that was 1960+?

The loco has no headlamps or discs. The WR would not have allowed just the electric lamps to be used.

I'm enjoying this spot the glitch game.

Pinky

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When this miserable weather end— the train room is so uninviting, and I keep getting in the way of SWMBO.

Hopefully it will brighten up and I can blow off the cobwebs with a visit to the Stafford show next Saturday. You'll never know what'd bring home with me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you lot seen the Job opportunity at Bachman? House prices near Leicester are not that bad and then there is the GC to play with.

Phil

I think David (Cary Hill ) lives the nearest to Barwell on here. I bet that's a great job too.