A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I think David (Cary Hill ) lives the nearest to Barwell on here. I bet that's a great job too.

You're probably correct as I am 4.21 miles away by the most direct route.

I won't be applying though as, being an ageing dinosaur with sausage fingers, I will struggle to completely master Autocad, UnigraphicsNX and Solidworks by February 28th which seems to be the closing date for applications.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully it will brighten up and I can blow off the cobwebs with a visit to the Stafford show next Saturday. You'll never know what'd bring home with me.

I'm waiting for the Alton show next week to try and kickstart work on the layout, there's lots of new goodies waiting for me at Alton Models  

a bit of retail therapy normally works on the other hand if you want gloom & doom try Early Risers in Wheel Tappers, things are really

miserable on that thread at the moment like down in the dumps miserable or on the other hand get a job at Barwell they rattle along

at a snails pace. :jester:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

I nearly bought a Dapol bubble car yesterday, but I didn't.

CTMK sneaked a new Hornby 'Toad' into her bag as a future present for me, though.

Hope she doesn't get spotted on CCTV - quick, you need to come up with an excuse just in case!

• RMweb Premium

Vote early, vote often, for toplights and manors!

TBH I'm very surprised that not one manufacturer (or commissioner) has got these (Toplights) out to the market yet... maybe in a couple of days that situation will have changed?

Edited by Tim Dubya

Where are the pictures of any trains on the layout.......had to go back 11 days to find the last one!!!

Have you sold the layout?

Are you building a new one........!!!!

Have you abandoned us and taken up knitting instead!

I can always send our local photographer, Ken around with the railcar if you are short of stock and take some pictures!

Where are the pictures of any trains on the layout.......had to go back 11 days to find the last one!!!

I can always send our local photographer, Ken around with the railcar if you are short of stock and take some pictures!

Frozen solid points at Tigley have trapped all the stock in the fiddle yard for several days........and I bet the garage is still a bit parky.....

• RMweb Gold

Frozen solid points at Tigley have trapped all the stock in the fiddle yard for several days........and I bet the garage is still a bit parky.....

It is a bit but I will take some fresh ones soon but I do need something new and inspirational to work off. I'm sorry for the lack of off topic content on the thread.

• RMweb Gold

TBH I'm very surprised that not one manufacturer (or commissioner) has got these (Toplights) out to the market yet... maybe in a couple of days that situation will have changed?

Toplights are a heck of a job for anyone to take on - which is probably why no one has taken them on.  Even the poll which was run on RMweb didn't help as everybody's idea of the ideal Toplight seemed to be different from everybody else's idea of the ideal Toplight - which is hardly surprising considering the varieties in which they came and the alterations made to them over the years.  the latter means that without lots of expensive slides in the tooling a manufacturer would be tied to a very specific period for many of the Toplights which makes then far less attractive to an r-t-r manufacturer or they go the other way and effectively price their product out of the market.  In this day and age I reckon anyone who takes on an r-t-r version will probably be very trich to start with and not mind finishing up poor after they've knocked out a few hundred models.

• RMweb Gold

What coaching stock would be preferable to start voting for then ?

A Bow End full brake to go with others that Hornby have done that should be popular as they have done the LNER version which sold out rapidly,

as Mike stated Toplights ain't going to happen.

• RMweb Gold

What coaching stock would be preferable to start voting for then ?

I went fairly generic, with a top three consisting of Dreadnaughts, Concertinas and Toplights.  While big I have a feeling that the Dreadnaughts / Concertinas would cell rather well, they are such good statement pieces (and got down the branchlines as well as on the main (at least they did in the case of Kingsbridge).

Locos was a bit easier to chose (1000 County, Bulldog and a decent 5700/8700 pannier!)

• RMweb Gold

Toplights are a heck of a job for anyone to take on - which is probably why no one has taken them on.  Even the poll which was run on RMweb didn't help as everybody's idea of the ideal Toplight seemed to be different from everybody else's idea of the ideal Toplight - which is hardly surprising considering the varieties in which they came and the alterations made to them over the years. 

I take the point, but there's always hope.  After all, that's what Peco said for years about bullhead track - "There are so many types and variations / so many pitfalls / there'd be so many necessary compromises / these guys don't know what they want / they all want different things etc, etc".  But look what happened eventually.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

I take the point, but there's always hope.  After all, that's what Peco said for years about bullhead track - "There are so many types and variations / so many pitfalls / there'd be so many necessary compromises / these guys don't know what they want / they all want different things etc, etc".  But look what happened eventually.

John C.

Didn't Graham Hubbard say Bachmann would never make the Blue Pullman.