A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Sad news to hear of the passing of the great railway photographer, Peter Gray. Like many, his colour albums were invaluable in the building of my layout. He loved the West Country and he will be sadly missed.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Sad news to hear of the passing of the great railway photographer, Peter Gray. Like many, his colour albums were invaluable in the building of my layout. He loved the West Country and he will be sadly missed.

Thanks for letting us know Rob. I think I have the complete set of the colour albums he did for Ian Allan. It's hard to think of anyone else who did more to record the end of the steam era in the South West. Not necessarily the best known of the great railway photographers but that's simply because he was underrated! He set about systematically covering just about every part of the West Country's pre-Beeching network in colour in the Spring of 1957 a task that he would take hime until 1965. He has left behind an absolutely unique and irreplaceable record. When I imagine in my mind's eye Summer Saturdays on the Devon banks, it is in the tones and hues of Kodachrome I, the biting clarity of an f2 Solagon and the exquisite composition of Peter W. Gray......

Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few of Peter's excellent photos are online.

WOW!  what a fantastic photographer and what a sad loss.

​Would the top two be Tiverton Junction?  I think I have some similar shots in a book, I guess by the man himself? 

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Yes, out of interest how far away from here is the 'new' Tiverton Parkway station.

Tiverton Parkway station is essentially on the site of the former Sampford Peverell Halt, where there were also an Up and a Down running loop.

It's only a mile or so away to the north.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, out of interest how far away from here is the 'new' Tiverton Parkway station.

Best guess just to the north 1.5k.

Edit CK pipped me to the post

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

A real shame about Peter Gray, his articles for the Torquay Herald gave a fascinating incite into the post war railway.  Somewhere in said newspaper's archive is a very useful photo of his of 2781 at Newton Abbot during the 40s shortly after having wartime damage rebuilt (in G W R black).    One day I will get on and model it...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That  Cement behind 2882 is probably destined for Exeter Central. I'm fairly sure the WR loco used to stay on and it would be well 'helped' up the incline. My only opportunity to include that up The Junction would be as a diversion. 

Great pics thanks.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The view of the Royal Albert Bridge, (above) is almost the one from my Parents front bedroom window, the room I was born in, many moons ago.

Was the bridge built then Andy....

• RMweb Gold

I was just wondering if the Adams radial tank would be passing back through Brent on the return leg of its railtour- I’m sure they are missing it in Dorset.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I'm unable to bring you the Radial. :stink: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you do, which one would it be? (Radial that is).

Adams Apple.

My client doesn't have another yet but there are other goodies lined up for your pleasure in the coming months. There might even be something GWR too. :jester: 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots Robin.

The LNER Pigeon Van builds up nicely. The teak effect does look good. I've one of these to finish in BR Crimson.  

Talking of vans I'm in the process of detailing a Dapol Fruit D with Lanarkshire Model Supplies buffers and MJT vents...

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 5