A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

The Luftwaffe done some serious damage there back in the 40's it was a Baedeker target but nothing as bad as the RAF/USAF job on Dresden.

Coventry was first bombed in November 1940 as it was a major industrial target and this was the raid which caused the greatest damage to the city and various factories in the area.  The so called 'Baedekker Raids' took place in April - June 1942 and did not include Coventry.

• RMweb Gold

Coventry was first bombed in November 1940 as it was a major industrial target and this was the raid which caused the greatest damage to the city and various factories in the area.  The so called 'Baedekker Raids' took place in April - June 1942 and did not include Coventry.

Yes, the 15th of November 1940 and here's a shot of the bombed station afterwards.

post-126-0-73867400-1527264453_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Allegedly British Intelligence knew Coventry was the intended target. Churchill had to make the agonising decision not to give the city advanced warning because the Germans would have realised we had cracked Enigma

Decisions like that put the problems of modern day politicians in perspective

• RMweb Gold

And people want to go to 1940s weekends at heritage railways...

And in German uniforms you can't make it up, I bet Coventry station was up and running in a matter of hours after being hit.

Mike I stand to be corrected on the Baedeker raids I was lead to believe all Citys were hit randomly throughout the war years

by a flick of a page in that book I must admit I didn't google it to check naughty chair for me stand back Chris. 

• Like 1

And in German uniforms you can't make it up, I bet Coventry station was up and running in a matter of hours after being hit.

Mike I stand to be corrected on the Baedeker raids I was lead to believe all Citys were hit randomly throughout the war years

by a flick of a page in that book I must admit I didn't google it to check naughty chair for me stand back Chris.

Past 1941, the Germans didn’t really have the capability to bomb the uk at night in scale. By then, the raf had effective airborne radar and was shooting down aircraft in sufficient numbers to deter the Luftwaffe. Besides, as the allied bombing offensive grew, they needed all their night capabilities for defensive and they had multiple other competing uses for their medium range bomber force.

Their targeting was based on postcard targets hence the Baedeker name - I believe a prewar German tourist guide.

• RMweb Gold

Past 1941, the Germans didn’t really have the capability to bomb the uk at night in scale. By then, the raf had effective airborne radar and was shooting down aircraft in sufficient numbers to deter the Luftwaffe. Besides, as the allied bombing offensive grew, they needed all their night capabilities for defensive and they had multiple other competing uses for their medium range bomber force.

Their targeting was based on postcard targets hence the Baedeker name - I believe a prewar German tourist guide.

Baedeker Guide books were published over many years - from the 1850s to the1970s, somebody has actually bothered to put a list of them on Wiki!   And an interesting piece of totally irrelevant information - based on the number of Air Raid Red warnings  the most 'heavily' (in reality that means most instances) bombed place in Britain in WWII was Falmouth.

Times change and so do people hopefully.  We survived the Plymouth blitz relatively unscathed; even my Dublo layout perched on the Morrison shelter, and now being a lot older can understand why some choose to recreate the era, if only for a day or two.  It was a unique time and made a great impression on a lot of people, possibly like those who attend such related events.  Sadly, for a lot it doesn't hold such exciting memories but as the generation who lived through it all, die away, younger persons who know nothing of it will see no harm in re enactors dressed in German uniforms of another age add to the effect.  They are already bombarded with movies and TV programmes which depict the real horrors of WW2 so the sanitised version seen on station platforms should not unduly affect them.

Brian.

• Like 2

I visited the station yard during the afternoon. You wouldn't have seen me. I needed rawlplugs.

See anybody dressed up as German soldiers?  There's usually an RAF 'erk on the platform!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Times change and so do people hopefully.  We survived the Plymouth blitz relatively unscathed; even my Dublo layout perched on the Morrison shelter, and now being a lot older can understand why some choose to recreate the era, if only for a day or two.  It was a unique time and made a great impression on a lot of people, possibly like those who attend such related events.  Sadly, for a lot it doesn't hold such exciting memories but as the generation who lived through it all, die away, younger persons who know nothing of it will see no harm in re enactors dressed in German uniforms of another age add to the effect.  They are already bombarded with movies and TV programmes which depict the real horrors of WW2 so the sanitised version seen on station platforms should not unduly affect them.

I take your point, Brian. It's not something I experienced (born 1960), but my parents did; father volunteered in 1939, served in the BEF until the evacuation in 1940, should have gone to Crete, but spent a long time in hospital after an adverse reaction to a vaccine and was released back to the GWR. His younger brother (serving in an RAF balloon unit) was killed in South Wales.

The thing is, I got into a conversation with some parishioners of mine who had been to a 1940s weekend at the SVR, had really enjoyed it and claimed, "It was a great time; better than to-day." No, it bloody wasn't.

Edited by Bishop of Welchester

• RMweb Gold

Baedeker Guide books were published over many years - from the 1850s to the1970s, somebody has actually bothered to put a list of them on Wiki!

They were revived in the nineties.......not sure for how long....I have the first english edition of the 1991 Baedeckers France....probably worth a fortune. ....not

I had forgotten all about it until Mikes post.......brought back some happy memories of trips to France in the late nineties. Its a good comprehensive guide with a rather different style from the norm.

I guess that we are a tad off topic......always assuming ANTB has a set topic......in any event I seem to recall the owner started the diversion

• RMweb Gold

See anybody dressed up as German soldiers?  There's usually an RAF 'erk on the platform!

Brian.

There's also two WAF's in the down station building.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob, you off to Wemberlee on Monday? Come on you Light Blues etc.

Janner

Yes, a few miles driving in the next two days with going to Aylesbury tomorrow as well.

Heads off. Prepping for the arrival of a decent loco at the WSR at about 12.40 and lo, there is a Western at Bishops Libbyyard right now.

Phar

Westin Kampainir

post-20303-0-51177300-1527330097_thumb.png

• Like 1

Rob, you off to Wemberlee on Monday? Come on you Light Blues etc.

Janner

Would they be playin Exekiter Sity by any chance ?

N.O.Rivallree

Grecians tis be my andsome. Can't have they up with Plymuff can we?

P

Its all Greek to me !

post-20303-0-30712000-1527331290.jpg

Georgeo Ballious

Its all Greek to me !

attachicon.gifECFC_2000s_Grecian_Mascot.jpg

Georgeo Ballious

Completely  :offtopic:

One of the more peculiar club nicknames:

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2015/03/27/grecian-mythology-or-fact-the-mystery-of-exeters-nickname768/

Makes a pleasant change from nicknames derived from club colours, geographical location or some probably long dead local industry.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else getting diarrhoea adverts at the bottom of the page....

Someone's selling diarrhoea?