A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Are the porters of Geordie origin or was the GWR too mean to buy their workforce overcoats. :dontknow: :dontknow:

I thought it was only the female Geordies went out like that.

Paul.

Moi?

Having just come in from walking the dogs I felt sorry for those blokes in their shirtsleeves on a cold day. Unless of course they are Geordies, then it is their own fault. :nono: :nono:

Serious 'ead for a mo.....we as modellers are quite bad in modelling a season are railways are supposed to be set in.

How does one model seasons?  Most of our layouts are surely continually in summer under bright lights for photography.  Sure there are those with autumn tints or early spring with bare trees but not many in a winter setting.  So summer it is by default. :sungum:

Brian

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Have just discovered the 'layback sidings', are in fact loops, both for up and down lines. The down loop (below) east crossover seems well over the limit for a mechanical rodding connection from the box. So how was it worked?

attachicon.gifbrent-down-loop.jpg

Wasn’t there a policy sometime around ww2 to speed up traffic on GWR main lines by converting key “layback” sidings to loops by adding the points required, and working them electrically by means of a hand driven generator in the signal box. Sorry I’m a bit woolly on this.

Wasn’t there a policy sometime around ww2 to speed up traffic on GWR main lines by converting key “layback” sidings to loops by adding the points required, and working them electrically by means of a hand driven generator in the signal box. Sorry I’m a bit woolly on this.

The down goods siding became a goods loop during WWII. At the same time the track plan was also altered to the East of the station allowing direct access from the new 'loop' into the branch platform. The entrance pointwork was worked by an electric motor work by the hand generator as northroader states.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I should've posted this a few days ago, but my mind was elsewhere - sadly there was a sudden bereavement in the family - Mum's twin brother Keith died in the early hours of Friday morning :(

He meant a lot to me, without him there'd be no pond, no trains and no love of engineering in my life.

Ironically he was reading a book on Mallard, before he died and my cousin had brought him the Hornby version for Christmas.

Life must go on and in the mean time my last commission for the year was finished.

post-7000-0-45424900-1544980324_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-12181900-1544980343_thumb.jpg

Which has meant the Shack has returned to the Workbench to be completed..

post-7000-0-99253600-1544980396_thumb.jpg

And when I resume work on Loco's, there's something a bit different coming..

post-7000-0-83417600-1544980372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How does one model seasons?  Most of our layouts are surely continually in summer under bright lights for photography.  Sure there are those with autumn tints or early spring with bare trees but not many in a winter setting.  So summer it is by default. :sungum:

Brian

post-7025-0-14232700-1545048096_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-00305300-1545048465_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Really like the Tinners one.  Don't know where its supposed to be but I've been there or a place just like it in reality.

Brian.

Thanks Brian.

The building does exist, but the track, road and surrounding scenery are pure fiction.

• RMweb Gold

This time of the year we always look back in reflection. One of this years best purchases was the Kernow 1363 and it was an absolute joy to see, run and take photos of it on Rob's Mutton back in June.

post-126-0-32152300-1545211218_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-49533800-1545211232_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Merry Festives one and all thank you to Rob and all on ANTB ( and other allied threads too ) for a most enjoyable year !

Oh ! By the way I just saw a......

Dean Deanie roll down the track,

Dean Deanie made it right back,

No smoke from its chimney stack,

My Dean Deanie let yourself go !

( apologies to Mr.Bowie !)

Sound trials taking place and some ! Lots to fix on top and elsewhere but getting there.

G

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Santa's Elves delivered a rare beastie...

post-7000-0-24970800-1545262005_thumb.jpg

And Zebedee is nearly ready for the flight line...

post-7000-0-88733400-1545262172_thumb.jpg

72 decals needed to be applied to the props!!

Weather permitting tomorrow, move over Santa Specials (if they don't, they'll be bombed/torpedoed out of the way) - brace yourselves for the Three Wise Avro's  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: 

• Like 8

I've only got one thing to say to those......Wingnut Wings !

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've only got one thing to say to those......Wingnut Wings !

G

The test shots look amazing, a country mile better than the HK one detail wise.

But how much will it be (the HK one is £399) and have you got a 1/32nd Scale Hangar to house it and yourself when Swmbo finds out ;)

• RMweb Gold

Seen at Warley and appears that Bachmann are now a stockists for this range https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HKM01E06 The Lanc was in a cabinet on their stand.

As James alluded the Wingnuts kit appears next year and will cost more but the detail is amazing as seen here https://imodeler.com/2018/11/telford-kit-news-wingnut-wings-1-32-avro-lancaster-a-closer-look/

Back in the late '70s like a lot of teenagers I built Airfix kits and remember one Christmas getting the 1/24th Harrier. Kits nowadays seem a world away from back then.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

The test shots look amazing, a country mile better than the HK one detail wise.

But how much will it be (the HK one is £399) and have you got a 1/32nd Scale Hangar to house it and yourself when Swmbo finds out ;)

I would suggest spending a few moments looking at Nigels channel before parting with your hard earned dosh, I have a lot of time for this channel and his unbiased comments on models and modelling albeit not railways ( mind you his Dora builds are fascinating !)

G

Link .... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back in the late '70s like a lot of teenagers I built Airfix kits and remember one Christmas getting the 1/24th Harrier. Kits nowadays seem a world away from back then.

1/24th Harrier you say? I was having a rearrange of my aircraft fleet this morning and brought my GR.3 (pre-red box) down for a dust and a bit of fresh air..

post-7000-0-44298000-1545395771_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-78980400-1545395806_thumb.jpg

• Like 3