A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Straight out of the box, a superb Hornby Royal Mail. Beautiful finish and a great runner too. Merchant Navies were never seen west of Exeter so this is pure indulgence of rule one.

attachicon.gif79.jpg

attachicon.gif80.jpg

attachicon.gif81.jpg

attachicon.gif82.jpg

They weren't allowed west of Exeter on the SR route. That means there could have been an exception on the GWR route;needs must. I've got a Clan Line in BR livery for a 1958 set up. OK it isn't quite right in detail for 1958 but who cares? Yes Rob, they are superb runners indeed even on my track. Well done old bean.

Ar$£

Somebody been to Swindon then?  Love it but its always a shame to think these will never run again out in the fresh air, white smoke drifting back on the breeze and that GW whistle echoing before Marley tunnel.  Or wherever!

Brian.

I found it it very cold, like the loco's. They reminded me of Madam Tussauds and could have been replaced with large plastic models. Very sad, a vault of dead machinery.

Hi All,

Snap!

post-14393-0-11762000-1504040289_thumb.jpeg

A few of this weekends visitors too...

post-14393-0-42277600-1504040494_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-14217700-1504040556_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-18331000-1504040713_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-79778200-1504040855_thumb.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

• Like 17

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi All,

Snap!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

A few of this weekends visitors too...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

Dear Mr. Castle,

Lovely photos of 'Pendennis Castle' and 813.

After that you have included photographs of locomotives that I do not recognise and can only assume you have uploaded by mistake. I believe the a locomotive, neither designed, built nor operated by the Great Western has been the subject of national hysteria on TV and in the press recently. Is that the locomotive in question? I'm sure there are good reasons why the GWS has invited it to Didcot but personally I'd prefer not to see it there.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

They weren't allowed west of Exeter on the SR route. That means there could have been an exception on the GWR route;needs must. I've got a Clan Line in BR livery for a 1958 set up. OK it isn't quite right in detail for 1958 but who cares? Yes Rob, they are superb runners indeed even on my track. Well done old bean.

Ar$£

I think it was all about Meldon Viaduct which, then and now, looks as if it would fall down if you sneezed near it. ISTR that when the Western Region took over operations beyond Wilton South in the early '60s, their civil engineer had Meldon Viaduct singled to limit stress. So we can conclude that the GWR was probably conservative in its route clearance. No Kings across the Tamar suggests that, actually. So not sure any Flannel Jackets would have done the South Devon banks.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know they were ever in black. Y'learns sumfink every day!

Brian.

From Wiki, which looks about right to me:

"Livery was Southern Railway malachite green with "sunshine yellow" horizontal lining and lettering. The first five locomotives were given a matt finish so as to obscure small irregularities in the casing. All class members that operated during the Second World War were eventually repainted in Southern Railway wartime black livery, with green-shaded "Sunshine" lettering.However, this was reverted to malachite green livery upon the ending of hostilities."

They got sold to the war department as "mixed traffic" locos and did sterling work on troop trains and freights.

• RMweb Premium

From Wiki, which looks about right to me:

"Livery was Southern Railway malachite green with "sunshine yellow" horizontal lining and lettering. The first five locomotives were given a matt finish so as to obscure small irregularities in the casing. All class members that operated during the Second World War were eventually repainted in Southern Railway wartime black livery, with green-shaded "Sunshine" lettering.However, this was reverted to malachite green livery upon the ending of hostilities."

They got sold to the war department as "mixed traffic" locos and did sterling work on troop trains and freights.

IIRC there were a few Spams/Packets' casing panels that were made of plastic and had to have a strengthening batten, horizontally and almost centrally along the sides. Post war these casing panels were replaced with metal.  

P

• RMweb Premium

That is as green as green can be. It looks extremely smooth. Is there much rivet detail on it, Robin?

I rather preferred them in blue, but most of all, I think that the rebuilding really 'made' them.

Still a lovely model, though.

How about a Midland loco or three now, Robin, please?

CK have you met mango in Tiverton Tesco?

B.I.G. Pussee

• RMweb Premium

IIRC there were a few Spams/Packets' casing panels that were made of plastic and had to have a strengthening batten, horizontally and almost centrally along the sides. Post war these casing panels were replaced with metal.  

P

Iirc it was called something like limpet board which was a asbestos-based sheet. A wartime materials shortage measure which was sorted out after the war.

Iirc it was called something like limpet board which was a asbestos-based sheet. A wartime materials shortage measure which was sorted out after the war.

And there's me thinking it was Bakelite  :jester:

O.Ldfashioned

Very nicely detailed ,good value and quite weighty. The only thing I don't like is the distance between couplings.

attachicon.gif70.jpg

attachicon.gif71.jpg

attachicon.gif72.jpg

attachicon.gif73.jpg

attachicon.gif74.jpg

"The only thing I don't like is the distance between couplings" - Silly B*gger, where else are they supposed to put the Warwell?

Simple Mind from Daan Saaf

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a punter in sight. Did they open just for you?

A few leftovers and a couple of cabsides on show relevant to this thread. ;) 

post-126-0-60515600-1504102390_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36215800-1504102410_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-47578700-1504102428_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-44187100-1504102445_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02373700-1504102479_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-58097700-1504102504_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-34210300-1504102521_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-40752100-1504102539_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Ar$£

The rebuilts were very definitely permitted over the proper route (i.e. via Brent) and I suspect the originals would have been had anybody asked nicely.

Hello John et al,

I'm hope you'll be pleased with the Hornby 72xx. I have a couple plus a 42xx and all three run nearly silently and very smoothly. Given that these locos emerged from the ill-conceived "Design Clever" era at Hornby the chassis runs very well indeed. The first batch differed from the second and subsequent batches in that they did NOT have brass axle bearings and some detail (e.g. smokebox dart) was moulded on. You'll be pleased to hear 7233 is from the second batch!

Regarding the livery that Hornby applied to 7233: yes it does carry the "Great Western" livery despite being outshopoped in 1935 and I take your word that the shirt button roundel was introduced in 1934. However, the first forty 72xxs were rebuilds of 52xx (actually 5205) 2-8-0 tanks that had been built some years earlier, put immediately into store and had never run in traffic because of a national economic depression. The conversion work consisted of extending the frames rearwards by just over 4ft, adding a trailing axle and extending the bunker backwards. It is entirely possible that Swindon didn't then bother to repaint the whole loco, merely the new bunker! This might explain why the class appeared in this anachronistic livery. For the record I have found photos of both 7200 (of 1934) and 7229 (of 1935) in "Great Western" livery.

I hope this is useful.

Andy.

I believe that the first and second batch engines were not repainted when converted to 2-8-2Ts - apart from the new bit on the back.

The big point to watch is what you renumber it to.  The Hornby 7233 in liveried 'Great Western' is correct for a second batch 72XX (7220 -39) with a straight running plate andthe orginal Churchward pattern of motion bar.  The first (7200 -7219) batch were rebuilt from the late built 5205 class engines so had a  raised running plate over the cylinders and a covered drop end at the front end together with the Collett pattern motion bar.  The third batch (7240-53) were rebuilt from older 42XX but were given new cylinders and the raised running plate above them plus curved drop end but they retained the original Churchward pattern motion bar.  Thus there were three groups of 72XX with 3 different lots of detail meaning none of them matched the detail of of either of the other two batches.  

All the various Hornby models as originally issued had the correct detail for the running number they carried.

• RMweb Gold

Not a punter in sight. Did they open just for you?

It did feel like that as I was early and it was quiet. Everyone was in the very popular Outlet Centre next door. I had a mooch to and found Hinton Manor in one of the aisles. :O Hornby have a shop there but I left empty handed. Steam itself was not much different display wise to the last time I was there and at less than a tenner is good value. At the moment they have a display featuring KGV's trip to America and have the mould for the bell on display. The original is now fitted to her as seen above. I wonder what IKB would have thought about his works now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The rebuilts were very definitely permitted over the proper route (i.e. via Brent) and I suspect the originals would have been had anybody asked nicely.

I believe that the first and second batch engines were not repainted when converted to 2-8-2Ts - apart from the new bit on the back.

The big point to watch is what you renumber it to.  The Hornby 7233 in liveried 'Great Western' is correct for a second batch 72XX (7220 -39) with a straight running plate andthe orginal Churchward pattern of motion bar.  The first (7200 -7219) batch were rebuilt from the late built 5205 class engines so had a  raised running plate over the cylinders and a covered drop end at the front end together with the Collett pattern motion bar.  The third batch (7240-53) were rebuilt from older 42XX but were given new cylinders and the raised running plate above them plus curved drop end but they retained the original Churchward pattern motion bar.  Thus there were three groups of 72XX with 3 different lots of detail meaning none of them matched the detail of of either of the other two batches.  

All the various Hornby models as originally issued had the correct detail for the running number they carried.

Thanks Mike........that's very helpful.......so I will be safe with 7226 (11/35) or 7236 (1/36) both shedded at Oxley in 47?

Best wishes

John

• Like 1