A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
One for the Captain:

attachicon.gif6833 Calcot Grange approaches Bath Spa.jpg

6833 Calcot Grange approaches Bath Spa on a Salisbury - Cardiff train in 1961.

Photo by H. Ballantyne[/quote

2017, Bath Spa nul points!

Is that a printed backscene?

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

I've done a little research on allocations for the recently announced models from Dapol using the 1946 lists I have for Laira and Newton.

NA had one mogul in 6345 however this had no steam pipes at this time. Laira had several with them in 5318,5350,5361,5376,5391,7312 and 7321. Some of these never had them fitted, so watch which one you choose.

A bonus found that Dapol proposed 51xx  in GWR green [4S-041-004] is to be 5150, a Newton loco. :sungum: Saves renumbering for a change.

Others to be found at Newton are 4109,4133,5108,5113.5132,5142,5153,5157

Laira had 5172

• RMweb Gold

I've done a little research on allocations for the recently announced models from Dapol using the 1946 lists I have for Laira and Newton.

NA had one mogul in 6345 however this had no steam pipes at this time. Laira had several with them in 5318,5350,5361,5376,5391,7312 and 7321. Some of these never had them fitted, so watch which one you choose.

A bonus found that Dapol proposed 51xx in GWR green [4S-041-004] is to be 5150, a Newton loco.

Assuming that Dapol listen and resolve the various issues which have been identified so far, a replacement for my damaged Hornby model will be ordered (rather than spend more time trying to fix the damaged motion). I already have plates for 5108 that will be it’s identity.

As for the mogal I am still torn, a 93xx series with eve Collett cab would be a certain purchase, but as it is I am still thinking about building a new chassis for my Mitchell loco. Will see if I have managed to do that before 2019!

• RMweb Gold

Assuming that Dapol listen and resolve the various issues which have been identified so far, a replacement for my damaged Hornby model will be ordered (rather than spend more time trying to fix the damaged motion). I already have plates for 5108 that will be it’s identity.

As for the mogal I am still torn, a 93xx series with eve Collett cab would be a certain purchase, but as it is I am still thinking about building a new chassis for my Mitchell loco. Will see if I have managed to do that before 2019!

What is actually damaged Rich, if you post a photo of the part/s that have come to grief I've decommissioned a few Prairie's recently so I might be able to help you with spares. 

• Like 1

Interesting picture of the S160s.  There weren't many on the GW and to see a double header must have been unique.  It looks as though it was an official photo though as picture taking was frowned upon at the time.  You might have been a German spy in Wooton Basset!

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Achtung!! The report I sent to Der fuhrer stated that Der amerikaner lok shipped through Newport, und commissioned at Ebbw Junction wos. Many where stored on Der Pontypridd Llantrisant Line, und zere we’re in the runnink in on Der goods trains were from there doing. Heil!!

Achtung!! The report I sent to Der fuhrer stated that Der amerikaner lok shipped through Newport, und commissioned at Ebbw Junction wos. Many where stored on Der Pontypridd Llantrisant Line, und zere we’re in the runnink in on Der goods trains were from there doing. Heil!!

I hope DEr Fuhrer can make more sense of that than I could! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

14th September 1962. I wonder what traffic it was being used for, as Fishguard hardly had any fishing boats; it did have a lot of fresh produce arriving by ferry, however.

But fish was landed at Milford Haven 

A bonus found that Dapol proposed 51xx  in GWR green [4S-041-004] is to be 5150, a Newton loco. :sungum: Saves renumbering for a change.

Others to be found at Newton are 4109,4133,5108,5113.5132,5142,5153,5157

Laira had 5172

The Dapol model is not suitable for any loco numbered below 5384 as they had the earlier pattern of motion bar cross frame.  and assuming they get it right it won't be suitable for any engine numbered below 5390 as the splasher arrangement and placement of the reversing rod changed from 5390 onwards.

Miss Prism has now pointed out the big problem with the prairie - the boiler is pitched at the wrong height which no doubt explains why it looks a bit odd.. 

• RMweb Gold

Interesting picture of the S160s.  There weren't many on the GW and to see a double header must have been unique.  It looks as though it was an official photo though as picture taking was frowned upon at the time.  You might have been a German spy in Wooton Basset!

Brian

The GWR had 174 of the S160s on loan.  With the completion of deliveries in 1942 they had 167 Churchward/Collett 28XX/2884 2-8-0s so the Yankee engines actually outnumbered the homegrown ones for a short while odd tho' that might sound.

There were definitely a number ogf pictures of S160s taken by private photgraphers although maurice Earley was pretty well in with the GWR so it's hardly surprising that he managed to get some (one of which the GWR used).

A card for Christmas

post-21098-0-95887900-1513724243_thumb.jpg

Christmas morning would find the kitchen windows all steamed up, things boiling on the range and lovely smells of the feast to come.  It was not a place to be so to the local for a couple before lunch.  An awkward corner of the layout makes a logical site for the village pub.

Brian.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Problem A was that the firebox stays were wrongly dimensioned, problem B was the gauge glass shutoff if wrongly handled could give you a false indication of water level. Either one could lead to an almighty bang. Apart from that... there was also the view that as postwar railways recovered, they were a bit lightweight, compared to say, a kreigslok 2-10-0.