A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Thomas has a new friend ——- looks a bit Spammy...

Thomas looks excited about those lovely buffers or maybe it is the DCC lamps? Strangely Spammy's nearside front lamp is already damaged or maybe it isn't really a lamp but a secret Camera; hence the averted gaze from the fat Controller's arse end.

For K. Handles

Edited by Mallard60022

Strangely Spammy's nearside front lamp is already damaged or maybe it isn't really a lamp but a secret Camera; hence the averted gaze from the fat Controller's arse end.

For K. Handles

Good spot. That's the recently installed VAR camera which records all "incidents of foul play" from a variety of angles for review if necessary..... 

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

Good spot. That's the recently installed VAR camera which records all "incidents of foul play" from a variety of angles for review if necessary..... 

They're going to be a while if it's seen the contents of that link wot the duck posted.

Much foul play there, I found it quite upsetting, but did notice what might pass as a Q1, so it seems these youfs have Southern Lineage.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.

They just can't leave it alone, can they?

post-9751-0-95432900-1516536089_thumb.jpg

Judging from this screenshot computer sims involving Brent are coming on in leaps and bounds.

1958 as the Manchester London Road to Penzance 8.00 (SO) service passes through Brent in the early evening and it is not due in at Penzance until 9.00 p.m.(13 hours!)

Pity about the generic library GWR lorry and syphon and one or two "modern" items....

7 out of 10

Though sims will never replace ANTB....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

south brent 1958 crop.jpg

7 out of 10

Though sims will never replace ANTB....

A shame the area to the left is not so well done. Certainly water tower is completely wrong and the coal office is missing.

Not exactly suprised though as this area seems very photo shy, currently drawing up the coal office from one very grainy photo. Not clear enough to work out the large white cross on the front. It looks like a sign but is too big....

post-54-0-27175300-1516539955.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder

Have you a link to the actual game please David. That has stunning graphics.

I believe it's this one:

post-9751-0-12450200-1516541543_thumb.png

as there are some more Brent screenshots

post-9751-0-43915000-1516541636_thumb.jpg

post-9751-0-50857200-1516541681.jpg

Unfortunately as is the way with these simulations it looks like you have buy a bunch of other stuff to get a fully featured version.

• Like 4

What spec computer do you need to run such stunning graphics? I have/had an old Microsoft Train sim version with the Severn Valley expansion pack. It was a lot of fun pottering up and down. Interestingly, stood me in reasonable stead for a footplate experience. Such software gave me a reasonable idea of what to pull/push to get a loco moving.

David

• RMweb Gold

A shame the area to the left is not so well done. Certainly water tower is completely wrong and the coal office is missing.

Not exactly suprised though as this area seems very photo shy, currently drawing up the coal office from one very grainy photo. Not clear enough to work out the large white cross on the front. It looks like a sign but is too big....

post-57-0-92709400-1516545958.jpeg

Er, that might be, Rich, but I still think your black & white graphics have got a little way to go, to catch up with the one that David/Cary Hill has shown us!  :jester:

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I should have added that when I say it’s a shame that bit is wrong,

It’s a shame in that I really want to see it done properly so that I can get as better idea as to how it really looked to help with my model

If I had a Tardis for every time I've had the thought that I'd like to go back in time and see what things really looked like, I'd have a fleet of them and could hire them out to the BBC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I should have added that when I say it’s a shame that bit is wrong,

It’s a shame in that I really want to see it done properly so that I can get as better idea as to how it really looked to help with my model

That's where the much missed , shelved David Geen book would have been useful as I'm sure he'd have photos of this area. What did Peter Leyland have to hand when he built the water tower for Brent +.

That's where the much missed , shelved David Geen book would have been useful as I'm sure he'd have photos of this area. What did Peter Leyland have to hand when he built the water tower for Brent +.

Was David planning other books? His 1930s ones are go to books not least for the appendices on coaches!

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean,

I would love a copy of that book!

A shame Dave will have retired before RailWells this year as I’d have liked to pick his brains on these buildings!

• RMweb Gold

Was David planning other books? His 1930s ones are go to books not least for the appendices on coaches!

No idea but Wild Swan shelved it after many years of preparation although I did hear of Steve Manchip of the GWSG possibly taking it on. I wondering how well the recent WS book on the Bridport branch has done to gauge a saleable proposition for Kingsbridge.

• Like 1