A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Still thinking of driving through South Hams after a break, this stop is about halfway on the Longleat-Torquay A303 route. An American-Mexican restaurant ( no wall !) just before the A303 joins the A30 at Honiton

I can confirm that I have visited that establishment in the days or yore, when it used to be a Little Chef.

'The Monks Yard' is, frankly, a nicer environment (a much nicer environment on the Kernow Register of Eateries) and is only about 15 mins further east that the erstwhile Little Chef type place (no offence, O Personage from Limpley Stoke).

• RMweb Gold

Anyone for the Rails Caley 812 class on here.

Well, they did run over the Somerset & Dorset, and they are in a very pretty blue colour, so, probably, no.

But I will be getting a pretty, cute little 1363 class saddle tank, oh yes, Guv' to be sure and that's the truth. Got my number you 'av, an' no mistake.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't here!!!

It was hidden away when I was there 2 years ago and could not get access for a photo the chap I asked didn't have a clue what I was on about

and neither could I understand a word he said he must have been a foreigner Scotland and all that. :mosking:

post-8647-0-02605300-1519405624_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that I have visited that establishment in the days or yore, when it used to be a Little Chef.

'The Monks Yard' is, frankly, a nicer environment (a much nicer environment on the Kernow Register of Eateries) and is only about 15 mins further east that the erstwhile Little Chef type place (no offence, O Personage from Limpley Stoke).

We spent a pleasant hour there one day when it was a Little Chef. Then we got served.

We now use the Shell Garage at the Illminster Junction. Always got clean toilets, (important for SWMBO) , two Costa machines (with milk) and a selection of fresh sandwiches. Might try that Monks Yard next time we visit the family in mid Devon,

Ash

• RMweb Gold

Does route 303 have a soft play area?

This is the critical question for the Clearwater household!

I don’t think so, it’s not mentioned on their website, but It looks as though 36E does! Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Premium

I don’t think so, it’s not mentioned on their website, but It looks as though 36E does!

Forgot to point out that the 36E establisment is called Captain Jack's. This is named after Captain Kernow's half sister, famous for her Fun Palaces Franchise and Water Bed Aerobics DVDs.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by a visit to Steam,Swindon again yesterday and the opportunity to get on the footplate of KGV. It would be rude not to do a few shots of my 6022 King Edward Third in a freezing cold railway room.

attachicon.gifimageedit_3_6236805021.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_4_7642036132.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_1_7372312419.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_5_2720844533.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_6_5676480133.jpg

Great to see some more stunning main line action - one never tires of seeing trains thundering through the gorgeous Brent countryside. I think a tactical retreat from the Railway Room is imminent as Siberian Air descends on us, so it will be back to banter on this thread for a week or so I think.

• RMweb Gold

Knocked this up in the warm I managed to get Newton Abbot from the HMRS sheet it looks as if I will have to do the name again it's a bit skewiff and the G has slipped.

post-8647-0-73306200-1519568766_thumb.jpg

Edited by 81C
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Robin's layout is just so prototypical, because it's absolutely freezing in the real Brent as well today.

At least the weather on here is authentic then. :jester: Freeze to the West.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the cold is going to get worse in Brent.  There are a lot of space heaters ideal for cold railway rooms these days. :smoke:

Brian.

I think this spell of cold weather is retribution for Mr Musk sending a second hand car up there - where the space heaters come from !