• Please log in to reply
31282 replies to this topic

#29176 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 19:15

Mike, I think that's true for mainliners but I understand that shunters were allocated to old steam depots as well.

Definitely so although I think once the old depots had gone the shunters were similarly based although smaller depots such as Ebbw Jcn had an allocation (the place also had a very attractive allocation of you females in the clerical grades as well as it happens although they were all in the co-located AM's office which wasn't called Ebbw Jcn despite being the other side of one of the walls of the admin block).

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#29177 DH71Tiger

DH71Tiger

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:06

Hi everyone,

Chris Nevard highlighted this company on Facebook today.............. https://www.modelux-models.co.uk

I've had a look at their website, some interesting models at a very reasonable price. No personal experience of building one so can't comment on that.

Worth a share ?

• Informative/Useful x 5
  • Thanks x 1

#29178 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • LocationOn the GW mainline in South Devon.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 19:51

Whilst looking for something else I found this shot of 1363 on Hemerdon with red plates. :o

1363 on Hemerdon.jpg

Edited by gwrrob, 13 March 2018 - 19:52 .

• Like x 19
  • Informative/Useful x 4

#29179 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 13 March 2018 - 20:00

Hi everyone,

Chris Nevard highlighted this company on Facebook today.............. https://www.modelux-models.co.uk
I've had a look at their website, some interesting models at a very reasonable price. No personal experience of building one so can't comment on that.

Worth a share ?

I got as far as “Due to overwhelming demand, there is currently a 5-7 working day delivery time for orders” which is fair enough, but then “Accept and Continue” was an impediment too far. Either they want me to examine their oeuvre or they don’t. Websites should be inviting, not prescriptive.
  • Agree x 7

#29180 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 20:15

I got as far as “Due to overwhelming demand, there is currently a 5-7 working day delivery time for orders” which is fair enough, but then “Accept and Continue” was an impediment too far. Either they want me to examine their oeuvre or they don’t. Websites should be inviting, not prescriptive.

IKEA in 4mm scale ? A little too twee and precious to pursue beyond their first page I think.That phrase "flat pack" gives recurring nightmares.A deal.of glossy shadow...and the substance ?

#29181 steve fay

steve fay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,864 posts
  • LocationCwmbran South Wales

Posted 13 March 2018 - 20:55

Whilst looking for something else I found this shot of 1363 on Hemerdon with red plates. :o

attachicon.gif1363 on Hemerdon.jpg

thats a great shot full of detail, what’s the year? I notice both up and down lines have been relaid with Concrete sleepers

Edited by steve fay, 13 March 2018 - 20:56 .

#29182 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:01

thats a great shot full of detail, what’s the year? I notice both up and down lines have been relaid with Concrete sleepers

Late '64.
  • Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#29183 2ManySpams

2ManySpams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17,502 posts
  • LocationBermuda Triangle

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:02

Nice concrete and wire fence.
  • Agree x 3
  • Funny x 1

#29184 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationNever too far from 81E!

Posted 13 March 2018 - 22:06

Hi All,

Never seen that shot of No. 1363 before! Thanks for sharing it Rob. She looks to be in pretty good condition there.

The latest RMWEB Didcot tour has been arranged by the way. I though the ANTB gang might have an interest in coming along...

http://www.rmweb.co....nday-29th-july/

I hope that some of you are able to come along this year!

All the best,

Castle
  • Like x 4
  • Thanks x 1

#29185 The Fatadder

The Fatadder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:16

Sadly I’m in Duxford flying a Harvard on that day, Will be back in 2019!
  • Like x 2

#29186 Captain Kernow

Captain Kernow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • LocationWhere did you say that we were?

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:16

You could do some aerial shots of the group!

• Agree x 4
  • Funny x 3
  • Like x 1

#29187 Mallard60022

Mallard60022

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,712 posts
  • Location36E most of the time, 36A some of the time and Seaton Junction part of the time.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:35

http://www.railuk.in....php?row_id=306

Can't be '64. I reckon that could be going to Swindonia for scrap. It could, of course, just be goiung to Taunton, or Bridgewater. Didcot must have got it from Swindon? 

Edited by Mallard60022, 14 March 2018 - 10:38 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#29188 bgman

bgman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,851 posts
  • LocationDevon knows ! Now where did I put that cake tin ?

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:46

Can't be '64. I reckon that could be going to Swindonia for scrap. It could, of course, just be goiung to Taunton, or Bridgewater. Didcot must have got it from Swindon? 

Nah !

Been sent to a naughty step somewhere in the Szechaun Province for redevelopment and new scanning.

Nam Phong

• Funny x 3
  • Informative/Useful x 2

#29189 brushman47544

brushman47544

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,932 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:00

Bunker first all the way to Swindon (or Taunton or Bridgewater for that matter)? Surely they have turned it on the Laira triangle first for a long journey like that. And how fast could it have gone? During the day it would that have caused havoc with scheduled services.

#29190 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32,204 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:41

Nice concrete and wire fence.

Indeed - standard Western pattern with the wire spacing exactly reproducing the spacing previously used on GWR timber fence posts.

On its way to Totnes dear fellah - it was moved there under the power of its own puffing in 1964.  Probably quite logical to run bunker first because although the first half of the trip was uphill the second half was downhill and that's when it might have been getting a bit tight for water so sensible to do that bit bunker first (and therefore the firebox end of the boiler would be at the downhill end).

• Informative/Useful x 7
  • Agree x 3
  • Like x 2

#29191 bgman

bgman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,851 posts
  • LocationDevon knows ! Now where did I put that cake tin ?

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:55

Nice watertower

Thank you, starting to get somewhere with it now !

DSCF8045.jpg

DSCF8043.jpg

Will need to make a ladder and possibly some light weathering plus other stuff.

G

• Like x 10
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#29192 St Enodoc

St Enodoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,100 posts
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:02

Where's the "jealous" button?

• Agree x 2

#29193 Mallard60022

Mallard60022

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,712 posts
  • Location36E most of the time, 36A some of the time and Seaton Junction part of the time.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:04

Indeed - standard Western pattern with the wire spacing exactly reproducing the spacing previously used on GWR timber fence posts.

On its way to Totnes dear fellah - it was moved there under the power of its own puffing in 1964. Probably quite logical to run bunker first because although the first half of the trip was uphill the second half was downhill and that's when it might have been getting a bit tight for water so sensible to do that bit bunker first (and therefore the firebox end of the boiler would be at the downhill end).

So where was it from withdrawal? I can't remember if it was stored at Laira.

Edited by Mallard60022, 14 March 2018 - 12:07 .

#29194 cary hill

cary hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSW Leicestershire

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:27

So where was it from withdrawal? I can't remember if it was stored at Laira.

With a couple of other Hemerdon  pics including one of some lucky lad cabbing 1363 unless it's a very short man......

http://www.didcotrai.../1363/1363.html

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#29195 The Fatadder

The Fatadder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 13:07

Where's the "jealous" button?

I did the Tigermoth last year which was amazing, one day hopefully will complete the set at Duxford and fly the Spitfire. Though that won’t be for a long time!
  • Like x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#29196 Captain Kernow

Captain Kernow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • LocationWhere did you say that we were?

Posted 14 March 2018 - 14:10

some lucky lad cabbing 1363 unless it's a very short man......

I think it's a normal-sized man who has crouched down because he didn't want to get his picture in the Illustrated Monthly Gricethusiast, having been warned that the Official Photographer was lurking on the embankment by a quick-thinking goods guard on a down unfitted goods train, who managed to get a paper dart with the message on it from the verandah of his Toad right into the top pocket of 1363's driver.

• Informative/Useful x 3
  • Funny x 2
  • Like x 1

#29197 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 14:40

On its way to Totnes dear fellah - it was moved there under the power of its own puffing in 1964.  Probably quite logical to run bunker first because although the first half of the trip was uphill the second half was downhill and that's when it might have been getting a bit tight for water so sensible to do that bit bunker first (and therefore the firebox end of the boiler would be at the downhill end).

That must have been the trip where they stopped for water at Brent, there's a photo in the Middleton Press book, Newton to Plymouth. Never noticed the red plates before.

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#29198 Mallard60022

Mallard60022

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16,712 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 15:35

With a couple of other Hemerdon  pics including one of some lucky lad cabbing 1363 unless it's a very short man......

Blimey, after all these years I learn what happened. I didn't really go to Laira that much after the end of 1962 and I really can not remember seeing '63 in the Roundhouse.

Lovely little article, thanks monsewer hill.

P

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#29199 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 15:54

That must have been the trip where they stopped for water at Brent, there's a photo in the Middleton Press book, Newton to Plymouth. Never noticed the red plates before.

Here's the photo, please respect the copyright of Mr Saunders. I reckon 1363 was one of the last locos to take water at Brent then.

1363 at Brent.jpg

• Like x 13
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#29200 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 17:12

A heads up on some newly released toad allocation transfers from Railtec.

http://www.railtec-m...tem.php?id=3271

http://www.railtec-m...tem.php?id=3269

Although these are the depot letters , Steve will also do sets of numbers to suit too. Priced according to the number of transfers required.

• Informative/Useful x 4