A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

At least DJM didn't make it so no added carbuncles, out of line piston rods chewed ends on handrails and no lego style chassis.  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

L.A.Ughaminitt

• RMweb Gold

Seeing a pic of one without BR smokebox no. plate for the first time I have to say that I think I actually like it.  It looks the part.

But is the steam pipe properly attached to the boiler?  And is the cabside plate perhaps a tad small?  Might be just my eyesight.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Seeing a pic of one without BR smokebox no. plate for the first time I have to say that I think I actually like it.  It looks the part.  It certainly does.

But is the steam pipe properly attached to the boiler?  And is the cabside plate perhaps a tad small?  Might be just my eyesight. you could be correct John

John C.

The brass cab plates for mine are sitting in the box waiting one problem dealt with, the steam pipes look like a small tweek to put right, the colour looks iffy but the painters on this forum said it's

an easy fix I might ask Robs man Glen or To Boldly' to have a go at some of my new loco's, this will be my 3rd Heljan loco I'm happy with them but it's down to personal choice but my old kit is

looking tired and its been heavy on motors due to the weight.

Hi 81C,

Don’t worry about the colour - especially if it’s being weathered! The paint was mixed in batches by hand at Swindon and so varied a bit to start with and once the loco went out on the road the combined effects of sunlight, oil, paraffin, dust, smoke, spot, filth, different attempts at cleaning them and a whole host of other environmental factors meant that changes to the colour were inevitable! Then take into account the affect of distance from a colour and the variation is actually a bonus... I would only worry about that if you are putting it in a glass case and want it to look like a ‘showroom’ job. There is even variation in the much more clolourfast modern paints used in preservation due to the same factors.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I should have mentioned that I saw these 'Owls' at Plymuff on down Summer extras. In fact all sorts of stuff turned up on those in 1959 to 1963.  Wish I'd spent more time at Laira but what did I know back then eh?

Ar$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I signed up for access to the free Railcam feeds- here is a screenshot of the available locations, most of which are heritage railways. I don’t think you gain a lot more by subscribing £18 a year!

Also a moment from yesterday’s extravaganza on WSR.

post-21027-0-83850900-1521791613_thumb.jpeg

post-21027-0-84699500-1521791652_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi 81C,

Don’t worry about the colour - especially if it’s being weathered! The paint was mixed in batches by hand at Swindon and so varied a bit to start with and once the loco went out on the road the combined effects of sunlight, oil, paraffin, dust, smoke, spot, filth, different attempts at cleaning them and a whole host of other environmental factors meant that changes to the colour were inevitable! Then take into account the affect of distance from a colour and the variation is actually a bonus... I would only worry about that if you are putting it in a glass case and want it to look like a ‘showroom’ job. There is even variation in the much more clolourfast modern paints used in preservation due to the same factors.

All the best,

Castle

I'm just waiting for it to turn up then I will decide what splatter it will have on it. :paint:

Ivor Largen

I've just heard the sad news of the passing of Ben Brooksbank. I've always liked his photos and particularly this Castle shot.

attachicon.gifBrent_railway_station_geograph-2431014-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Limpley Stoker will be pleased to see the coupling stowage.

And here's a Ben Brooksbank photo of the other side of ANTB with a pair of Castles attacking Rattery near Tigley.....

post-9751-0-69283500-1521826871.jpg

Is one of the Castles a bit poorly?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 14

Hi David,

No, I’m fine! Bit of a dicky tummy yesterday though...

Coat on, gone...

Could be a poorly seated front cover on the fireman’s side inside cylinder / valve (recent valeve and piston exam?) or possibly one or more cylinder drain cocks stuck open (there are 11 of the little so and sos...)

We shall never know...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Looks like the one in front needs to visit a certain hospital for Sick Bulleids ;)

Poor thing - that will make it worse!

Coat on again...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely and it'll be Hurricane or Beaufort next. :jester:

Fairey Battle next - well after 3046, 5998 Trevor Hall, 2 Toads, a LMS CCT, 6829 Burmington Grange, 33025, 35018 British India Line, L &YR 2-4-2 Tank, a Holden B12 and a Class 26  :P

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2