A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping you might tell us what would be correct. I have absolutely no idea.

P

It's down to which Rule Book they're using.  If they are using the BR 1950 or 1972 Rule Books or any earlier Rule Book back to the turn of the century (19th/20th) then it would be a green flag.  if they are using something based on the current rule Book or the 198whatsit reissue of the 1972 BR Rule book then the flag should be yellow.   So there is a choice and I assume they've gone for green (because the bloke is holding a green flag) but beyond that I don't know anything about their Rule Book although I really do hope it's not the 1950 version as amended up to its replacement in 1972 as most of the personal safety stuff it contains is well out of date although there's no reason why it shouldn't be used as a basis for their own operational Rules.

(As it happens in the Rule Books which I have written for heritage Railway use it is my usual practice to specify a green handsignal to authorise a movement to pass a semaphore stop signal at danger)

• RMweb Gold

It's down to which Rule Book they're using.  If they are using the BR 1950 or 1972 Rule Books or any earlier Rule Book back to the turn of the century (19th/20th) then it would be a green flag.  if they are using something based on the current rule Book or the 198whatsit reissue of the 1972 BR Rule book then the flag should be yellow.   So there is a choice and I assume they've gone for green (because the bloke is holding a green flag) but beyond that I don't know anything about their Rule Book although I really do hope it's not the 1950 version as amended up to its replacement in 1972 as most of the personal safety stuff it contains is well out of date although there's no reason why it shouldn't be used as a basis for their own operational Rules.

(As it happens in the Rule Books which I have written for heritage Railway use it is my usual practice to specify a green handsignal to authorise a movement to pass a semaphore stop signal at danger)

It’s lucky the offending signal is close to the signal box!

Whilst kicking my heels and with an end that was loose waiting for the Barny Express to take me home this afternoon from Hexekiter I wandered in Mr. Smyths Periodical Emporium and seed this cracking' book. 120 decent pages worth.

post-20303-0-78803700-1525111623_thumb.jpg  

Usual copyrights etc 

I've only flicked through at the moment but there are some excellent photographs ( all in black and white ) showing the changing scene throughout the GWR from the mid 1930's until mid 1960's.

For all us GWR fellas I think its well worth the cost of £ 19.99 purely for the personal photographs taken by Mr.Buckley and if you're of a mind to weather models its a good reference point too.

Some nice early locomotives Dukedogs, Panniers, 517's, Dean Goods etc are illustrated.

Now where did I put that magnifying glass ?

G

• Like 7

If you look closely you can see Oliver Bulleid and John Betjeman discussing a coffee stain on the platform. :jester:

I was wondering when that would come up, obviously I'm far too polite to have said anything and didn't notice it at all !

Billy Liar

• RMweb Gold

Whilst kicking my heels and with an end that was loose waiting for the Barny Express to take me home this afternoon from Hexekiter I wandered in Mr. Smyths Periodical Emporium and seed this cracking' book. 120 decent pages worth.

attachicon.gifIMG_4335.jpg

Usual copyrights etc 

I've only flicked through at the moment but there are some excellent photographs ( all in black and white ) showing the changing scene throughout the GWR from the mid 1930's until mid 1960's.

For all us GWR fellas I think its well worth the cost of £ 19.99 purely for the personal photographs taken by Mr.Buckley and if you're of a mind to weather models its a good reference point too.

Some nice early locomotives Dukedogs, Panniers, 517's, Dean Goods etc are illustrated.

Now where did I put that magnifying glass ?

G

£12.27 brand new on flee bay should be here Friday thanks for the heads up Grahame  :imsohappy:

£12.27 brand new on flee bay should be here Friday thanks for the heads up Grahame  :imsohappy:

I don't think you'll disappointed with it Bob.

Enjoy !!

G

Yes, thanks for the info Grahame; there has been a dearth of GW  books recently and I got a copy from Abebooks.  No bargain but available.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

It’s lucky the offending signal is close to the signal box!

That signal/system for operating it has been faulty for ages as I have seen hand signalling taking place there several times since joining the viewing a few weeks back. 

P

• RMweb Gold

That signal/system for operating it has been faulty for ages as I have seen hand signalling taking place there several times since joining the viewing a few weeks back. 

P

It certainly wasn’t working this day- when only one loco was in steam.

post-21027-0-15198200-1525161182_thumb.jpeg

I think 1363 would be a popular and pleasing loco on any layout that it graced.......

Are you going to give it a name?

Not one that we can repeat here !  :O

G

Whisper it, not many people are listening.......!

Roberta !

I won't be expecting a Record number of replies or any Flack for mentioning it either.

Shhh! don't tell anyone I told you though :mosking:

G

Edited by bgman