A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

If Tim organises it I’m sure he could bring a contingency from the West Country. We need various date options so more can make it .

Well, I am happy to make some enquiries. I did speak with Robin about this at RailEx last Sunday.

If we were to go for the second half of August, sometime, and avoiding the Bank Holiday, how would that suit folk, in general terms?

• Like 4

I think every one is waiting for some one to arrange it, Colin Penfold done a marvelous job with the last trip fancy taking up the mantle Grahame put me down.

I'm visiting there next week I can inquire again about their dining train they do have one but it had been mothballed last time I asked as the food contractor pulled out,

there is a pub at Winchcombe near the station I'm not sure on distance but we could set off from there then drive down to the station if they could accomadate us should

there be no dinning train, again I can go in and ask as SWMBO wants to visit a pottery nearby.  :biggrin_mini2:

http://royaloakgretton.co.uk/

I've heard the NYMR is also quite nice, especially in the last two weeks of August...  :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fine dining is great fun but it would be an excellent wheeze Tim and Co to bring up some proper job pasties

Philth

I'm up for the pasty option you all need to check the time table as trains don't run on a Monday and certain Fridays till late July  August is probably the best month to go

there are two steam loco's week days and 3 at week ends running through the day.

I've heard the NYMR is also quite nice, especially in the last two weeks of August...  :yes:

What days are you doing trips and things, Her wants to do Lincoln and the like I/we could stretch to York/Pickering. 

Edited by 81C

I think every one is waiting for some one to arrange it, Colin Penfold done a marvelous job with the last trip fancy taking up the mantle Grahame put me down.

I'm visiting there next week I can inquire again about their dining train they do have one but it had been mothballed last time I asked as the food contractor pulled out,

there is a pub at Winchcombe near the station I'm not sure on distance but we could set off from there then drive down to the station if they could accomadate us should

there be no dinning train, again I can go in and ask as SWMBO wants to visit a pottery nearby. :biggrin_mini2:

http://royaloakgretton.co.uk/

We went about 18m ago to the Gwsr and had lunch in a largish pub in Winchcombe. They seemed to cater for people coming from the GWSR. Good lunch and beer from what I recall! Only downside was the timetable meant a dmu back...

David

• Like 1

What days are you doing trips and things, Her wants to do Lincoln and the like I/we could stretch to York/Pickering. 

We are planning to visit both York and Pickering, but our schedule is still fluid. Any suggestions?

• RMweb Gold

We are planning to visit both York and Pickering, but our schedule is still fluid. Any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat nothing has been booked yet if you can give me something to work on date wise I can check out the hotel/BB's

for vacancies.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I am happy to make some enquiries. I did speak with Robin about this at RailEx last Sunday.

If we were to go for the second half of August, sometime, and avoiding the Bank Holiday, how would that suit folk, in general terms?

The idea of this is really appealing.Apart from the railway itself and the experience of meeting REAL people with wjth whom one usually exchanges ideas (or ribaldry.....as the case may be :jester: ) the Cotswolds are a beautiful area with many good places to stay over and excellent eating places.Parking may also be available for wives/partners if acceptable in accordance with ANTB "norms" ? Nice country "hises" ,Cheltenham for shopping etc....

I'm in the same boat nothing has been booked yet if you can give me something to work on date wise I can check out the hotel/BB's

for vacancies.

I Will check with SWMBO. Pickering is probably the best option, closest to Staithes. We can then leave the children at home in the cottage, they can take care of themselves for a couple of hours. Because with them, any serious conversation might be somewhat short and frustrating... Will PM you, as not to clutter up Robin's very focused ANTB thread... :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

We went about 18m ago to the Gwsr and had lunch in a largish pub in Winchcombe. They seemed to cater for people coming from the GWSR. Good lunch and beer from what I recall! Only downside was the timetable meant a dmu back...

David

Attractive,well situated pub with good food,ale etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

See if there is a special gala or summat later in the year when the children (dear little things) arer back in prison.

Yo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They look better in black :P

Is there a list of the stars that were definitely in black post war as I fancy another, Knight Templar perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

Is there a list of the stars that were definitely in black post war as I fancy another, Knight Templar perhaps.

They are covered in the list within GWRJ no.7

Those painted in '44 (and hence most likely still to be in black): 4040, 4031 / 4044 / 4060

1943:  4045 / 4004 / 4061 / 4020 / 4034 / 4013 / 4043 /4049 / 4007 / 4021 / 4022 / 4041 / 4056 / 4003 / 4055 / 4057 / 4025 / 4054 / 4062 / 4053 

1942: 4014 / 4050 / 4012 / 4048 / 4035 / 4059 / 4015 / 4060 /4004 / 4038 / 4040 / 4044 / 4051

There is a photo of 4025 in weathered black G crest W in the Art of Weathering, there is also a photo circa 1948/1949 (i think in the Swindon collection) of the loco at Swindon in ex works unlined green with British Railways on the tender.  So clearly around 1947/48 the locos originally painted black in 1942/43 would have been going through the works for a repaint in green 

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice of one with their nameplates removed in 1940.

Easy way to save £10 on replacement nameplates! I tagged the number plates onto an order with Narrow Planet with a bunch of other locos for a couple of pounds, its also something a little different having a G W 4-6-0 without names. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hey Rob! I saw the diarrhoea ad this morning!

Just had to run and tell you :)

Ron E. Tum

Becoming an expert on carp Colin like your naff jokes. :jester: