SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but would these only have run as a set of 3 on a branch line, or would a 6 or 9 (or any other number, not necessarily a full set) coach train made up of multiple sets (or part sets or other non-birdcage carriages) be used for longer distance trains on the main line?

Edited by PrestburyJack

The Southern and its predecessors tended to run trains with coaches in multiples of fixed sets, supplemented by 'loose' coaches. It would be quite feasible to see, say, a 9-coach train made up of three 3-sets (not necessarily all birdcage types). In their earlier years, the Bachmann birdcage types would have been main line stock, but in later years would have been relegated to lesser duties.

Moving up in years, I have just formed an accurate 4-set of Hornby BR mark 1 coaches. The reason I mentioned this is that if not relying solely on the birdcage sets, it would be possible to make up train formations of almost any length to suit a particular model layout using fixed sets. My own layout is set up to allow for 8-car sets plus a locomotive, but some of the outer loops allow longer trains still. In theory, I could use say a 3-set plus a 4-set plus a 'loose' coach, or two 3-sets plus a 2-set ... the permutations are almost endless. And that's without using my modeller's licence!!

Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but would these only have run as a set of 3 on a branch line, or would a 6 or 9 (or any other number, not necessarily a full set) coach train made up of multiple sets (or part sets or other non-birdcage carriages) be used for longer distance trains on the main line?

Absolutely, check out a few of these pictures

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tender-engines/i-6dhxFGx/A

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tender-engines/i-J4zxhSv/A

The Southern and its predecessors tended to run trains with coaches in multiples of fixed sets, supplemented by 'loose' coaches. It would be quite feasible to see, say, a 9-coach train made up of three 3-sets (not necessarily all birdcage types). In their earlier years, the Bachmann birdcage types would have been main line stock, but in later years would have been relegated to lesser duties.

Moving up in years, I have just formed an accurate 4-set of Hornby BR mark 1 coaches. The reason I mentioned this is that if not relying solely on the birdcage sets, it would be possible to make up train formations of almost any length to suit a particular model layout using fixed sets. My own layout is set up to allow for 8-car sets plus a locomotive, but some of the outer loops allow longer trains still. In theory, I could use say a 3-set plus a 4-set plus a 'loose' coach, or two 3-sets plus a 2-set ... the permutations are almost endless. And that's without using my modeller's licence!!

Thanks both, looks like I'll be purchasing at least one more set in Olive Green then!

• Like 2

Thanks both, looks like I'll be purchasing at least one more set in Olive Green then!

Bear in mind that if some level of authenticity is of interest, and presumably it is otherwise you wouldn’t have asked in the first place, the set numbers (and ideally the carriage numbers) would have to be changed.

Doubtful if this is the exactly correct prototype, but lovely to have a ride in this beautiful coach today! Shame it was coupled inside a MK1. The KESR really should be commended on the quality and care that goes into their coaching stock - it was the highlight of my visit. I shared a compartment with a family who had never been to a preserved railway before and they were suitably impressed. Also, a few years ago, I had a tour of their carriage works and met several friendly and dedicated volunteers.

post-7423-0-81084400-1522701199.jpg

• Like 17

If anyone is able to ask at any upcoming shows, (or has any insider info) any updates to the release date of the Malachite coaching stock? (or an H2?)

The malachite stock is next year I think. The H2 is a bit strange where different people say different things. Some say its due september this year whereas others say its due next year

• Like 1

Hi,

Sorry if somebody has mentioned this before but I have not seen it.  I fitted the screw link couplings to my set and was most impressed that they appear to be working apart from one slight problem.  They don't reach the next coach!  Has anybody found the same?  It would appear the buffers are too long and prevent the link reaching the hook.  I thought about adding another link, but am concerned that would still mean the buffers are close to touching and probably wouldn't like curves.  I thought about fitting Kadees, although not prototypical, they look better than tension lock.

Any comments are welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, and welcome to the site, Bishdurham. The thing here is that, as far as I can see, it's the couplings that are a little too short, and they are used by Bachmann as a form of default screw coupling, which have to go on all manner of loco's and stock. On my Birdcage set, I've used Smith's screw couplings, although with those long shanked buffer's, the coupling hook has to be set further out than normal. A rule of sight is used here. Also, the Bachmann screw couplings have links which are very stiff, and have a tendency to uncouple at the most inconvenient of times. Again the Smith's screw couplings are much superior in this respect too, and I haven't suffered any uncoupling issues using them.

I hope all this is of some help.

Regards,

Rob.

Hello, and welcome to the site, Bishdurham. The thing here is that, as far as I can see, it's the couplings that are a little too short, and they are used by Bachmann as a form of default screw coupling, which have to go on all manner of loco's and stock. On my Birdcage set, I've used Smith's screw couplings, although with those long shanked buffer's, the coupling hook has to be set further out than normal. A rule of sight is used here. Also, the Bachmann screw couplings have links which are very stiff, and have a tendency to uncouple at the most inconvenient of times. Again the Smith's screw couplings are much superior in this respect too, and I haven't suffered any uncoupling issues using them.

I hope all this is of some help.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob!  I've not used Smith's before but will look some out.

Best

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Sorry if somebody has mentioned this before but I have not seen it.  I fitted the screw link couplings to my set and was most impressed that they appear to be working apart from one slight problem.  They don't reach the next coach!  Has anybody found the same?  It would appear the buffers are too long and prevent the link reaching the hook.  I thought about adding another link, but am concerned that would still mean the buffers are close to touching and probably wouldn't like curves.  I thought about fitting Kadees, although not prototypical, they look better than tension lock.

Any comments are welcome.

Any screw link couplings supplied on RTR  stock are for cosmetic use only. They expect you to use the NEM pocket and tension lock / fixed bar couplers/ etc.

If you want functional screw couplings then you will need to purchase them separately from 3rd party suppliers.

Hattons 'Bluebell' with a rake of SECR birdcage coaches at the Wimborne Railway Society meeting.

All the birdcage coaches are still available. The Swanage Railway shop has 4 crimson birdcage coaches left and 3 of each of the Southern olive green and SECR dark red coaches left.

The price of the coaches is beginning to drop. Rails are offering them in all three liveries for £49.50 each.

post-17621-0-56474600-1523799253_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

£29?! Crikey, I'd best get myself down to more shows and bring-and-buy meets, the best I've seen is around £48 online.

- Alex

aha - you fell for it ! ......... it's like those Fly to France for 5p offers friom Sqeezyjet & Cryanair ..... they know you've got to come back an' that'll cost a LOT more ! ............... so what was the price for the other two coaches you'll need for a Trio-set ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

aha - you fell for it ! ......... it's like those Fly to France for 5p offers friom Sqeezyjet & Cryanair ..... they know you've got to come back an' that'll cost a LOT more ! ............... so what was the price for the other two coaches you'll need for a Trio-set ?

No good asking Alex, is it? She wasn't the one with the £29 bargain. 

• Like 1