SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Bachmann will release another set of these coaches in SECR livery but with different running and set numbers. I would buy a set.

I very much doubt it as the first release hasn't sold out yet. .

As someone has already said, It seems there are far more SECR loco collectors than SECR modellers needing coaches.

Sounds reasonable.

Just been putting Fox SECR transfers on a van. Somewhat traumatic; they didn't stick until coerced with Microsol and its only the varnish that will keep them there long-term. Which raises the question: if one is only changing the number, is it feasible to varnish just that patch or would it look wrong?

As someone has already said, It seems there are far more SECR loco collectors than SECR modellers needing coaches.

Or they where just too expensive.

• Agree 1

Have the other versions sold out?

• RMweb Premium

Rails had a flash sale the other day, all three versions (liveries) were there, so maybe bigherb is right. As you really need a set of all three coaches that's an outlay of over £130.

Or they where just too expensive.

I really wanted the SR Maunsell Green ones, so I bought a set (and am pleased with them).  However, I am glad that I have a branch line, and don't aspire to run longer trains.  At that price, it was touch and go for something that was attractive and distinctive, a good model (I understand), and would fit the layout well.  I don't think that I would have shelled out for something at that price if it had been even a little outside the main scope of the layout.

Maybe the cost of OO models will rise to the same heights as the costs for HO.  If so, I fear that I will be buying models less often than previously.

• Agree 1

As you really need a set of all three coaches that's an outlay of over £130.

Same price as the LSWR gate stock (if you didn't pre-order) and you get one extra coach - Bargain!

Consider yourself lucky you're not modelling Thameslink ............... ( Though I suppose modelling Thameslink from the comfort of your own chair must be better than having to ride a Class 700 !!?! )

I feel for anyone wanting to run passenger services of more than 3/4 carriages, it must add up pretty quickly. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like the Southern olive green coaches have sold best at Swanage. Only two coaches left whereas there are three crimson and three SECR coaches left.

One shop does not make a summer statistic.. to kinda coin a phrase...

This is more likely due to the fact the SR livery composite arrived from Bachman later than the two Brake 3rds so someone might have already purchased the brakes earlier / elsewhere.

One Swanage Railway shop representative said that most people had only bought one birdcage coach at a time. This may be because they are expensive and they could only afford one at a time or because they did not all come out at the same time. They are more expensive than those from Hattons so perhaps people had bought two from Hattons and one from Swanage to support the railway.

It looks like Hattons have still got plenty left so perhaps they will eventually turn into Hattons bargains.

I was intending to buy them individually but because it was the only thing I asked my partner for, for my birthday she rallied the family to raise the funds so I managed to purchase all 3 at once. If she hadn’t I wouldn’t have been able to them in one go.

Big James

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Only another year 'til the malachite birdcages arrive - according to Hattons ........... but plenty of scope for a schedule slip meantime !

I don't reeeeeally understand why they're taking so long to release this livery variation. I mean the actual model is done - and the livery doesn't have any complex lining..  :keeporder: where are the men in malachite?

I don't reeeeeally understand why they're taking so long to release this livery variation. I mean the actual model is done - and the livery doesn't have any complex lining..  :keeporder: where are the men in malachite?

They're just trying to make those of us who waited for 3 years for the first batches feel a bit better.

• Funny 1

I don't reeeeeally understand why they're taking so long to release this livery variation. I mean the actual model is done - and the livery doesn't have any complex lining.. :keeporder: where are the men in malachite?

Production slot needs to be booked. Although it maybe a fairly easy livery to do. It still takes time to make them. And from reading the collectors club mag articles they make one product in one go and not say a bodyshell a period of time before they are actually finally assembled and shipped

• Like 1

Production slot needs to be booked. Although it maybe a fairly easy livery to do. It still takes time to make them. And from reading the collectors club mag articles they make one product in one go and not say a bodyshell a period of time before they are actually finally assembled and shipped

Production slots may well have been booked at a factory that's no longer available to them ............... but it seemed to be a very long time from product announcement - with unknown availability - to revelation of their factory problems.

( But then time always passes slowly when you're waiting for something : a minute at a tube station is far longer than anywhere else for example ...... something to do with relativity I think ??!? )