SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Could anyone shed some insight on the 6 coach birdcage sets? As seen here:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tender-engines/i-Xwvd2Jc/A

Where they the 60ft variety or were they the shorter ones? There's also a few Birdcages i've seen pictures of that look much shorter with corridor connections on the end - whats the go with them?

Edited by Jack P

One Swanage Railway shop representative said that most people had only bought one birdcage coach at a time. This may be because they are expensive and they could only afford one at a time or because they did not all come out at the same time. They are more expensive than those from Hattons so perhaps people had bought two from Hattons and one from Swanage to support the railway.

It looks like Hattons have still got plenty left so perhaps they will eventually turn into Hattons bargains.

Hattons have a Christmas offer until 1am tomorrow (07/12/18) - SR Olive (all 3) for GBP 45 each, carmine versions for GBP 39.50

Peter

Edited by Peterem

Could anyone shed some insight on the 6 coach birdcage sets? As seen here:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tender-engines/i-Xwvd2Jc/A

Where they the 60ft variety or were they the shorter ones? There's also a few Birdcages i've seen pictures of that look much shorter with corridor connections on the end - whats the go with them?

There were, indeed 50' gangwayed birdcage brakes built for through workings to other railways but these are not they !

There was also one single 60' trio set which was strengthened to - I think - eight vehicles - but that had 'shrunk' to a two-car Pull & Push set by this date.

Typical of the stock retained for occasional - hop-pickers in this case - service were a number of 'long' sets formed from elderly SER/SECR coaches in the region of 44' to 51' ......... this set seems to have coaches towards the longer end of the spectrum : the answer might take a bit of finding, but it'll be in http://stenlake.co.uk/book_publishing/?page_id=131&ref=849&section=

Hattons have a Christmas offer until 1am tomorrow (07/12/18) - SR Olive (all 3) for GBP 45 each, carmine versions for GBP 39.50

Peter

Hattons are offering a new 39-612 crimson composite for £39.50 or a pre-owned one with a repainted roof , missing couplings and NEM sockets for £40. They have got over 10 of each of the new ones left. Sale is not much use to me as I bought them when they first came out. I expect most people who wanted them have already bought them.

Without wading through the posts I remember that someone queried the crimson livery and submitted a photograph of a prototype on the Kent and East Sussex Railway which was bright red. I went to a slide show of the Purbeck Railway Circle at Harmans Cross Village Hall. The speaker said that the Kent and East Sussex Railway had painted it in departmental red and it is now in British Railways crimson.

Southern Style After Nationalisation 1948 - 1964 by John Harvey includes a colour swatch of BR Crimson Lake and this is a dark red colour. The colour faded over time but so did the paint on the rest of the coach so the grey roof and black chassis would fade as well. I think Bachmann's crimson coaches represent the shade of crimson well.

There were, indeed 50' gangwayed birdcage brakes built for through workings to other railways but these are not they !

There was also one single 60' trio set which was strengthened to - I think - eight vehicles - but that had 'shrunk' to a two-car Pull & Push set by this date.

Typical of the stock retained for occasional - hop-pickers in this case - service were a number of 'long' sets formed from elderly SER/SECR coaches in the region of 44' to 51' ......... this set seems to have coaches towards the longer end of the spectrum : the answer might take a bit of finding, but it'll be in http://stenlake.co.uk/book_publishing/?page_id=131&ref=849&section=

Thanks for recommending this book of David Gould,I just ordered one, i have the Maunsell carriages book of Gould for years now, but i didn't know of this one, there is one of the LBSCR too, but no RTR coaches yet.

Even cheaper from the publisher, than to find on amazon. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies if I'm covering old ground / something that has been convered before. Due to restricted space I have a loop made up of radius 2 curves, my three coach SE&CR set derails constantly. I'm wondering whether some extra weight in the coaches would help them keep to the rails a bit better? Very few of my other Hornby / Bachmann coaches derail on the loop so just pondering the best way forward. Advice and suggestions greatfully recieved, thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I'm covering old ground / something that has been convered before. Due to restricted space I have a loop made up of radius 2 curves, my three coach SE&CR set derails constantly. I'm wondering whether some extra weight in the coaches would help them keep to the rails a bit better? Very few of my other Hornby / Bachmann coaches derail on the loop so just pondering the best way forward. Advice and suggestions greatfully recieved, thanks.

Have you ruled out buffer-locking on those curves?

I will have a look when I next have access to my model. However even coupled to a loco with a large coupling and just a single birdcage coach produced similar results. Thanks.

I would imagine it's buffer lock. I've had to wait until I can get in touch with Markits and order 6 sets of sprung buffers before I change my coaches over to screw link, and the reason for this is simply the buffers. Second radius is pretty tight and if you've had it with one coach and a loco and it's still happening, i'd imagine it's the coaches

I would imagine it's buffer lock. I've had to wait until I can get in touch with Markits and order 6 sets of sprung buffers before I change my coaches over to screw link, and the reason for this is simply the buffers. Second radius is pretty tight and if you've had it with one coach and a loco and it's still happening, i'd imagine it's the coaches

I hope to be back where my layout is at the end of the month so I hope to be able to investigate further. I have seen some carriages and locos given a minimum radius guide but the birdcages don't specfy. Thanks all. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the original issues have dropped dramatically in price since first release,a waiting game may pay dividends.

Yes they are indeed expensive. Some will be prepared to pay,the perennial price gripe notwithstanding.

Familiar territory.We’ve been here a few times,I think.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I might soon, finally, be in the position to buy a single set. Even then it's decidedly doubtful, given the still-high price. I'm deliberating whether I'll be going for lake or olive. I think olive is rather more flexible. I've got to the stage now where I'm not saying to myself "well I can buy a few suitable locos for that price" but instead saying "I have x Southern locos, mostly able to appear on my Central/Eastern Division layout, I now need suitable coaches and the Roxeys aren't much cheaper".

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2019 at 20:13, sem34090 said:

I might soon, finally, be in the position to buy a single set. Even then it's decidedly doubtful, given the still-high price. I'm deliberating whether I'll be going for lake or olive. I think olive is rather more flexible. I've got to the stage now where I'm not saying to myself "well I can buy a few suitable locos for that price" but instead saying "I have x Southern locos, mostly able to appear on my Central/Eastern Division layout, I now need suitable coaches and the Roxeys aren't much cheaper".

People like Roxey offer a magnificent range of alternative coaches, few of which will ever see RTR equivalents, the Birdcages being something of an exception. But even if you have the skills to assemble them, completing painting and lining, particularly for pre-war liveries, takes some doing. Nearly 50 years ago I actually built, although never quite finished, a BSL (later known as Phoenix) Bulleid brake third, including wooden roof. But the simple malachite green livery gave me the confidence to start the project. Lined olive, or those gorgeous pre-Grouping liveries, are simply not attainable for many of us. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

On 17/04/2019 at 20:13, sem34090 said:

Rails currently have the olive set for fifty pence short of one hundred and forty of your Great British drinking tokens. This brings them into the territory of your bog-standard Hornby Maunsell:

https://railsofsheffield.com/bundles/9/set-of-3-sr-olive-green-se-cr-birdcage-coaches

I think I'll grab another set, along with the Baccy H2 which is now down to £144.50

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Just got a note from Hattons saying they "are no longer able to fulfil" my pre-order for a malachite green set .......... no further explanation - though we know there have been 'difficulties between the parties !

........ and the entire 'Bachmann section has disappeared from Hattons' 'future releases' section - so I'm probably not alone !

Edited by Wickham Green