Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the length of 7mm scale rodding I knocked up last night I can't help but think that much of what is offered in 4mm is overscale.

Despite knowing the dimensions of the 7mm stuff I think I was expecting it to be bigger based on my previous exposure to 4mm.

That said, given how fiddly the 7mm stuff is proving to be, I wouldn't like to be working on 4mm true to size stuff!

• RMweb Premium

I always thought i was under height for my weight. Now I realise I just need to be a bit further away.

From cake

From beer

From the scales

The usual phrase where I grew up in London was "short for his width".

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I'll ask.

It's obvious why the bottom of the ladder is painted white, but why is the bottom of the signal post painted black?

So both parts of the ladder contrast with both parts of the signal...?

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I'll ask.

It's obvious why the bottom of the ladder is painted white, but why is the bottom of the signal post painted black?

I suspect the bottom of the originally wooden signal posts were treated with preservative gunk like tar or bitumen. The black paint may just extend this colour.

White draws attention to the bits you want to see. The top half of the signal for train crews and where the ladder is for the lamp man.

Who knows?

• RMweb Premium

But they do ride so much better.

I think a fair summary would be that compensation or springing isn't necessary but that it does improve the ride if you are so inclined to add it. 

I have sprung one of my box vans and they way it glides over the track is very nice to watch. The rest of the wagons are compensated in one way or another and whilst better than fixed axles (IMO) are not as smooth as the sprung wagon. 

The biggest disappointment in the running of wagons have been the pair of RTR Lionheart 16T wagons. These are compensated (bar on one side of the wagon) and roll really well but the oval wheels make the wagon body noticeably bob up and down. Non-standard axles mean this is (for me) not easy to amend.  

• RMweb Gold

But they do ride so much better.

I find a weighted unsprung/compensated wagons rides as well or better than an unweighted compensated or sprung wagon.

Don

• RMweb Gold

What about weighted sprung/compensated? ;-p

When the weighting and the springing are in accord it is the best of all IMO. lightweight sprung vehicles seem too lively unlike a real wagon. Lightweight compensated wagons can seem to hic-up at rail joints. A decent bit of weight seems to improve the action of both springing and compensation.

Don

Hi Chris, I don't know if it'll be of any help to you, but I've done a comparison this morning with MSE .07 Square Point Rod and Wills OO Gauge parts, I think they might just work, but it's how to attach them together, (Araldite?) unless I get .07 Plastruct for the rodding.

post-9335-0-83085800-1524401189_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-42962800-1524401312_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13923800-1524401371_thumb.jpg

Hope it's of some help.

• Like 1

Talking about certain 4mm parts being suitable for 7mm, have you seen the lovely platform gas lamps that Gaugemaster do. They even do the type with that spiral column, I think they call it a “ Barley twist “ ?

I measured some up at their shop in Ford to the amusement of their staff, only to see their faces go red once they realised I was correct.

Martyn.

• Like 3

My mate George has put some close up pics of Point Roddings etc from the NYM Railway on his 7mm Workbench thread, from Post #2555, his next Loco build is the 02.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page-103&do=findComment&comment=3138256

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Working near a model shop today, so popped in at lunchtime to look at the Wills point rodding sets. They are meant for 4mm but having had a good look, the only element that doesn't seem useable for 7mm is the spring of the stools in the rodding. The stools themselves look almost SR. Food for thought.

My mate George has put some close up pics of Point Roddings etc from the NYM Railway on his 7mm Workbench thread, from Post #2555, his next Loco build is the 02.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page-103&do=findComment&comment=3138256

Thanks for the link Andy, some useful shots there.