The Shed - alterations to an 0 gauge micro layout

rcf

BTW. I saw a neat little trick on an O gauge layout at the Bristol O gauge show last year

One chap had saved space on his layout, using an unusual method;

Emerging from from under a bridge at the entrance of the layout is apparently 2 tracks....

however, all you see is the vee end of the point

and that's all it is! The sector plate pivots just behind the vee

Like this one? I must finish it one day!

post-7091-0-69212900-1365079248.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for posting that BG John, some helpful ideas.

Well, the good news is that steam has once again been heard on shed and a loco has been seen moving on both lines. It didn't quite get as far as the coaling stage as two years of rust has yet to be removed from the track!

The photo does show a loco on the relevant line and it did get there under its own'steam', and wasn't just posed...honest.

The wiring under the board looks a little like a washing line at the moment but as I need to move the boards to get better access to tidy the wires up I'll get around to that later.

Rob

1142136006_TheShed009.thumb.jpg.55775440b7c86935c1e838a8b9574f95.jpg

1947571414_TheShed010.thumb.jpg.2281d233e3cfe534c12ec045eefd165b.jpg

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 12

Rob, I pondered the sector plate, using a vee which I obtained cheaply....

It was half a Peco diamond crossing - I got it for a pound

and I really must get around to trying it out in the fashion I mentioned...

I had also been thinking about cutting a diamond in half to make stub points on an Industrial.

(I think they may still look too big though.)

Edited by fatmac
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Yes BG John - that's the sort of arrangement....
Looks great, and yes, you MUST get around to finish it....
Most intriguing - lets see some more piccies John

Hi fatmac - "Stub points" - thanks for giving me their proper name....
Now I know, it'll save me a lot of waffle ;)
BTW. I don't think they look too big
They do save a lot of space - but as I said
the down side is the amount of lateral space the "swing" of the sector plate takes up.....
.... if you had 2 of them side by side
it would be a really tricky arrangement!

Rob, I'm glad you've got both lines up & running again
I always mean to tidy up my wiring....
.... and never get around to it! ;)

Cheers again
Marc

• Like 2

Yes BG John - that's the sort of arrangement....

Looks great, and yes, you MUST get around to finish it....

Most intriguing - lets see some more piccies John

I'm reluctant to start a topic on this layout, in fact come to think of it I think I did start one some years ago, as I don't know when I'll do any more to it!

• Like 1

I'm reluctant to start a topic on this layout, in fact come to think of it I think I did start one some years ago, as I don't know when I'll do any more to it!

That's a shame John - it would be good to see more of the project

and interesting to see it progress

If you do get any further with it - please post me a link

(It's always good to share pics, designs ideas etc)

Cheers

Marc

Cheers

Marc

Oh OK then. I'll think about it :scratchhead:

Hi Everyone

I can now post a picture of my solution to the problem, a sector plate. You will see that I have actually ballasted and painted the track so that when you look along the track the FY doesn't look quite so obvious. Also two pictures of the rest of the new track. It may need a little more weathering but generally I think it looks ok. I am amazed how quickly I have got this far and how well things are going. What am I missing! One thing is certain, I will now test the track again before going any further.

Rob

1636172983_TheShed013.thumb.jpg.eddcece34c63c3a8de20524f4e471572.jpg

1726380903_TheShed011.thumb.jpg.222fc3b58e37293b6eb667617d816578.jpg

2020759325_TheShed012.thumb.jpg.e2ec8ae64681b3ca8f28a0c98f745b3e.jpg

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 13

Oh OK then. I'll think about it :scratchhead:

Cheers

Marc

I've just posted the first part of this horrific tale Marc, while I have a break from committing violent acts to my house!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70418-small-broad-and-totally-pointless/

Edited by BG John
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve, I often think there should be a collective name for a lot of panniers, perhaps a 'pride of panniers' or something, although it has been suggested that I think too much!!

The water crane is an old Mike's Models kit but the heater is Scale Link.

Rob

Prehaps its should be a 'saddle of panniers'

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with Peco points stems from having both blades connected together through the frog. This means the open blade being at opposite polarity to the adjacent stock rail. I presume it was to avoid having a switch but itcan cause problems especially with DCC where a momentary short is detected.

I think your solution works very well there was nowhere for the loco to go but off screen so losing the point has made no difference. On an idustrial line you could actually make a visible stub point as they were acceptable of such lines no passenger stock though.

Don

• Like 1

I see 'The Shed' is layout of the Month in the RMWeb newsletter - well done !!

Hi Stu,

Thanks for that, but I'm not quite sure what that means as I haven't caught up with the newsletter as yet. Will have to investigate!

Rob

Only just found this thread, what a beautiful little micro-layout. I remember seeing it at the Truro show a couple of years ago when we were down there with Highbury.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

That was an enjoyable show with some great layouts. I do remember having a chat with you, as I am always amazed at the skills involved in 2mm modelling.

Rob

• Like 1

This is really a case of spot the difference between this post and post #33

50449127_TheShed015.thumb.jpg.cf3e8026bce628a37852adda94c418a3.jpg

I have completed the new track formation, including re-instating the barrow crossing. I have also filled the area where the lean-to shed used to sit. The site is now just part of the overall embankment and the site of the re-positioned telegraph pole.

1470534167_TheShed016.thumb.jpg.f178c404e3220c47e24092d2de515b87.jpg

This just leaves the foreground to be sorted, as above. The water tower came away with only minor damage and should be fairly straight forward to put back, as will the small shed. However, the grassed bank behind the water tower suffered more damage than I thought, so it is either major repair or replacement, More investigation is required before I decide what is needed. The origional used plaster cloth over cardboard formers, so not the most robust structure when attacked with a large screwdriver!!

Rob

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 12

The final bits of the jigsaw are back in place and I have been very pleased at how everything has gone. The grassed area only needed a repair with some liberal use of glue and the addition of some more grass. This whole exercise has been well worthwhile, despite my initial trepidation, as the scenic side remains intact and I now have the advantage of a fully operational track layoui. Indeed I think that taking out the point has created a better solution and it certainly appeals to my simple mind!

With no more work to do there are only so many ways you can photograph 5 feet of 0 gauge track without boring everyone rigid, so this may be the last update. Before closing I need to thank Andy Y for choosing The Shed as his layout of the month in his newsletter. It is greatly appreciated, although I would probably have missed it if Stubby47 hadn't drawn my attention to it, so thanks again Stu.

So just a few last photos to show it is all complete....

1286741190_TheShed018.thumb.jpg.561353a14a3fef02d2b63f263791b983.jpg

2011897274_TheShed019.thumb.jpg.0168bde6aa3234b6499ff50e21c566c6.jpg

1918212498_TheShed020.thumb.jpg.956530f579656bd05f6b606d0312cf8a.jpg

1412115793_TheShed021.thumb.jpg.fc9cc38e5ec9a028826d9ba251bf931b.jpg

1366659864_TheShed022.thumb.jpg.4314d836d49541fdaf6433ffea5fa504.jpg

Cheers Rob

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 17

I thought I would post a photo as an edit of my last post. On looking back I realised that the ladder on the water tank was not exactly straight. So a new picture to show that it is looking a little better now!!

Rob

1794921545_TheShed023.thumb.jpg.6e9f337300cc3ee3a300fa8c01b7c201.jpg

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Great work on the Shed there Rob.

I would be happy to see more photos when you feel inclined to take some.

I really enjoyed studying the Shed in the flesh a couple of years ago!

Perhaps you could be persuaded to bring out to our show next year?

• Like 1

Great work on the Shed there Rob.

I would be happy to see more photos when you feel inclined to take some.

I really enjoyed studying the Shed in the flesh a couple of years ago!

Perhaps you could be persuaded to bring out to our show next year?

Thanks Richard, I will continue to post photos, as it seems they are appreciated. I would certainly consider bringing the Shed up to Barnstaple, but at the moment things are a little difficult and I can't make any plans for the future. We are hoping to call in at Taunton on Sunday and may be able to have a chat with you then.

Regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard, I will continue to post photos, as it seems they are appreciated. I would certainly consider bringing the Shed up to Barnstaple, but at the moment things are a little difficult and I can't make any plans for the future. We are hoping to call in at Taunton on Sunday and may be able to have a chat with you then.

Regards Rob

hi Rob

Will be good to see you on Sunday. I should be operating Tawbridge, but will probably be chatting with someone!