The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Netherhope Halt.

• RMweb Gold

My first memory of visiting Netherhope was with Tim Venton in the 1970s, and I recall thinking that the tunnel seemed just a bit too long to walk through without a torch, especially as the line was clearly still in use then (so definitely pre-1981), and I didn't fancy meeting a stone train coming the other way in the middle of the tunnel! However, as it was a weekend, we'd probably have got away with it. Didn't have a decent camera in those days, so no photos from me, at any rate. I wonder if Tim V has any of that day?

• Like 1

There might be, but I don't think they show much. I'm working through my old Black & White shots - putting them onto digital, maybe something will turn up.

Your model catches the atmosphere of the place John.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On checking my indexes, I'm afraid I have pictures of Wye Valley Junction, the bridge over the A48, but no pictures of the halt area from the early 70s. Sorry John. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jim Read
  • RMweb Gold

Very many thanks Jim. An excellent photo.

Always on the lookout for good images. This is one of the clearest so far. Most of mine that I've accumulated are all a bit grainy!

Guest Jim Read

Hello John,

It's a great layout and shows what can be done when the objective is in reach, I love it.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

'RMweb Live' next week at the Ricoh in Coventry.

Some work is being done refreshing 'Netherhope'. It hasn't seen the light of day for a while.

There will be some new Heljan 'Dogfishes' appearing this time. CK has very kindly done a super weathering job on them for me.

Empty ballast train from Tintern. I haven't got round to adding the ballast loads. It should be going to Tintern for loading, unless it's been run to Tidenham Station for running round due to a problem at Tintern! (Any old excuse!)

post-6728-0-51914200-1409848546_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-71982000-1409848685_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-61578500-1409848731_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-31403000-1409848815_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-06993800-1409851043_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-40975600-1409851526_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-57557300-1409851546_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-33825000-1409851563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Almost ready for the show. :mellow:

The trees have been 'fettled' as they were looking rather tired. Also some have been moved and a  couple of new ones made including a weeping willow at the front..

post-6728-0-23309400-1410293666_thumb.jpg

New backscene boards and a proscenium arch have now been made

Turning back the clock at the halt.

post-6728-0-34544900-1410293390_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-82136400-1410293404_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello,

I've just come across this layout and I have to say it's stunning. I'm a working member of the Dean Forest Railway and I've been looking into the area as we have recently started recovering lengths of rail from this line at the site of Tidenham station. I took a walk along the line as far as Bishton Bridge which has been propped up for quite some time.

Is the layout still on the show circuit as I'd love to see more.

Cheers

Wayne

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Wayne,

Many thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately it's been retired from the circuit and is now stored away. It may come out again but for some years now my time has been exclusively used with the building of 'Ouse Valley Viaduct' and 'Balcombe', a rather large layout!

I fancy that Pway recovery would be nigh on impossible at Netherhope as the last time that I visited (some years ago) there were large trees growing in the four foot!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for those Greg.

Now I know that I incorrectly modelled the steps handrails down to the platform in wood!

I would imagine that it would be impossible to get anywhere near it now as there are some large trees everywhere. The tunnel mouth has been closed off with security fencing for what I assume is bat protection.  

Edited by Re6/6

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brings back memories. In the very late 50s I was on a 2-day hike from Ross-on-Wye to Chepstow with a couple of fellow scouts, and passing above Tintern station there was a line of full Dogfish wagons parked in the station. I've a distinct memory of the line beyond curving across the Wye and into the tunnel. I think this was after normal traffic had ceased.

Great modelling.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anybody have any idea as to what's going on here? The last time that I was at the location it was almost impossible to see anything with trees growing in the four foot!

I would assume that it can't be any reopening as Tidenham tunnel I understand is now designated a protected bat location. Could it be anything to do with Sustrans?

Screen shots from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f__ci-wRZ3U

591836132_TiddenhamnearNetherhopeHaltlocation.jpg.27097620a5f0c6bf7d77b621d6b9026a.jpg

Tidenham Station building (?) in the distance. What's with the tinfoil wrapped round the trees?:scratchhead:2050835378_TiddenhamStation.jpg.6dee12469a7b25c0135de4f07638c7f8.jpgfoil

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1