Derwent Valley Light Railway Centenary Event - 20/21 July

Andy Y

The Derwent Valley Light Railway Centenary Event

Saturday 20 + Sunday 21 July at the Yorkshire Museum of Farming, Murton Way, Murton Lane, Murton, York YO19 5UF (Special Entrance fees apply)

Visiting former DVLR locomotives
LNER J72 69023 formally “JOEM”
DVLR 2 - Copy.jpg

BR 04 D2245 (formally DVR No2)
DVLR 04 - Copy.jpg

Replica Ford Railbus, similar to the one which ran on the DVLR in the 1920’s.
railbus 1 - Copy (2).jpg

Photograph / Archive Display

Model Railway layout display with a “DVLR theme”… including the York EBOR Group’s “Rowntrees Halt” (Foss Islands branch)

See DVLR Society Website for continual updates. www.dvlr.org.uk

It is hoped that the following layouts will be present at the Event

Rowntrees Halt
Skipwith .... a layout built in the late 1970's which has interesting kit / scratch built rolling stock of the DVLR Whelganby..... a 3 foot scenic diarama showing a typical DVLR style station (Whelganby gets its name from the actual DVLR stations of Wheldrake and Thorganby!) The scene has been built by Philip Lockwood, Coney Hill ... a small O Gauge layout with a DVLR theme.
IMG_8447 - Copy.JPG

Paul Lunn..... layout design guru

(For ref. the DVLR remained independant all throught its life, even running a steam tourist service from 1977 -1979.
Sadly the railway was closed in 1981, happily just under half a mile DVLR track survives at the Yorkshire Muesum of Farming at Murton York and the railway is operated by the DVLR Society.
In addition the former DVLR station from Wheldrake has been rebuilt at the Murton site)

I remember having a ride on the DVLR probably a year or so before the tourist passenger service folded. What amazed me when I got to the 'other end' was the splendid condition of the station building. It was as if it had been somehow preserved in a time capsule from all the ravages of the intervening years. A pity that this service did not pay - in theory, an enterprise like this based in York should have done well, but it didn't. I was one of a handful on the train. Glad I did it though!

• RMweb Premium

I'm very much looking forward to being there with my DVLR-influenced 'Coney Hill' Light Railway layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65446-coney-hill-light-railway/

Hopefully running with a model of the DVLR 'Sentinel' running by then. There is only one DVLR and it will have only one centenary so not to be missed.

It will be great to see other DVLR - flavoured layouts.

Dava

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the heads up; I wonder if I could wangle one of my family visits to coincide with the dates. I have a huge soft spot for the DVLR; as a nipper I remember the grey liveried 04s, in my teens I took a trip along the line behind Hardwicke and I had a sqashed 2p that Joem ran over. Even the layouts have a touch of nostalgia to them, I believe that I may have seen Skipwith at the Leeds show when it was in the Corn Exchange, though my memory would place that as early to mid seventies.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Andy,  Looking forward to undertaking a layout design clinic over the weekend.  Have just been catching up with the organisers who have promised to send more detail to me over the next few weeks. I'm happy to keep everyone posted if that's ok with you?

Kind regards

Paul. 

Hi Folks, following my previous post, here's the first update relating to the modelling part of the Centenary Event showing an up-to-date list of exhibitors;

• "Rowntrees Halt" presented by the York EBOR Club which depicts the Foss Islands branch halt and includes traffic to and from the DVLR.
  • "Whelganby", a delightful diorama, depicting a typical DVLR Station inspired by the station names "Wheldrake and Thorganby, presented by Philip Lockwood.
  • "Skipwith" a layout built in the 1970's, showing "Skipwith Station", which has a number of kit and scratch built rolling stock that ran over the DVLR, presented Ken Nelson - whose Grandfather was "Porter in Charge" at Skipwith for many years.
  • "Coney Hill" - O Gauge in a small space with a DVLR theme presented by David Rae.
  • Layout Design Clinic presented by Paul A. Lunn. I'll be holding my usual session focusing on the DVLR, Foss Island and Rowntrees network layouts, though will be happy to help with any subject at any level. The service is free and open to modellers of all ages.  I hope to have a short power point presentation, available on request, showing my survey of the line after partial closure, together with a specially built, full size 00 scale, mock-up of an imaginary DVLR themed micro layout  This also forms part of the Activity Media DVD, currently in production, on design and planning with fellow modeller and good friend Paul Marshall-Potter. 

Look forward to meeting you on the day.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Folks, it's taken a while to get this image on here....not great with computers but managed in the end.  The flyer details many though not all of the planned events.  I understand there's a plan to recreate the initial train using Joem to the strains of a brass band.

post-10278-0-86477800-1371061104_thumb.j

More to follow soon.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Premium

Good to see Paul's update on the attractions.It promises to be a really interesting and unique event.

Last week I started on the model of the DVLR Sentinel which will be running on 'Coney Hill' when complete. This weekend I will be working on the scenics - lots of grass to sow!

The other week I was visiting the NRM in York, which was really busy, especially with the guest A4s now there. If you could get any publicity or exposure at the NRM, even just a poster & leaflets, that would help, There were some for other attractions in York.

Dava

That's a great idea David,  I think they may be doing something in the NRM but not sure.  I usually chat once or twice a week with the organisers so I'll mention it next time if they haven't already seen this post.

Kind regards

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ken Nelson built a few bitt of the DVLR when he was a member of Leeds MRS and they were at our shows over the years - I even built some signals for him

Glad to see part of the layout is still around  - 

Hi Folks here are the most up-to-date details; 

The event will include the following:

Visiting locos

J72 69023 'Joem' owned by NELPG,

Class 04 D2245 from The Battlefield Line

Replica Ford Model T Railbus

Home Fleet

We hope that our John Fowler 'Churchill' will make a return to service following overhaul

03079 will be operating representing the use of the class on the line (and will be specially re-numbered for the event)

Other locos from our home fleet may also make an apperance.

A band will be playing at the re-enactment of the opening ceremony on Saturday at 1pm

Model Railways

with a Dewent Valley theme will be on display including:

'Rowntrees Halt' by York EBOR Club, 'Whelganby' by Phillip Lockwood

'Skipwith' by Ken Nelson and 'Coney Hill' by David Rae

Layout Design Clinic with Paul A. Lunn

Miniature train rides provided by the York City & District Model Engineers

There will be a display of historical archives.

Enhanced opportunities for photographers are being created along the line.

(Lineside passes will be available on a limited basis, please contact us for details)

We will be operating to an intensive timetable which will include demonstration freight trains.

A heritage bus link will be provided using a Thornes Coach (1959 Seddon with a Harrington Wayfarer body) between York Railway Station STAND J

and Murton Park/ Yorkshire Museum of Farming at the following times both days:

From York Railway Station: 0930, 1030, 1130, 1230, 1430, 1530, 1630

From Murton Park: 1000, 1100, 1200, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700

(There will be a charge of £1.50 each way to cover the cost of hiring the bus)

Entry Prices

Adult £14, Concessions £12, Child £7, Family ticket £30

Opening times: 10am untill 5pm.

A full timetable will be available here closer to the date.

Hope these are helpful....see you there, Kind regards Paul

Hi unkinfidel,  It's going to be a really great show with lots of special features.  In my short time trying to help the DVLR I've become aware this is a small group trying to do some pretty impressive things.  We need to invest in our nostalgic heritage, not just for this but every preserved railway.  If paying slightly over the odds gives added security for them  then I'm up for that. Hope you make it to the event.

Kind regards

Paul 

I hope ukinfidel did get there. We did on Saturday and a very pleasant day out it was too. Had a couple of train rides behind diesels and, the maddest of the day, the railcar. It was wedged as everyone wanted to do it and, given those skinny wheels, it was a wonder it stayed on the track. 

The model show was excellent too and I got to meet the well-known layout designer Paul A Lunn.

The cafe was very reasonably priced and never too busy, despite the number of people there.

Then we drove home with the top down on the Saab, playing the rock compilation CDs that Mrs steve bought me for my birthday.

All in all a Great Day Out!

steve

Probably the best event we've visited in a long time,  a great team ensuring every visitor got the very best experience. Thoroughly well organised with something for all the family as well as the railway enthusiast.  Spectacular re-enactment of the 1913 official opening with nearly all the living relatives of Directors and some original staff present.  Here's how to make a short line look much more than it is; very busy, lots of activity, loco changes, footplate access, break van rides, demonstrations, freight specials.....the list goes on.  If you want to know the recipe for success ask organiser Jonathan Stockwell; down to him and the very best of volunteers.

• RMweb Premium

Phil is right on all counts, so I won't repeat except to say it was a huge privilege to be there with Coney Hill, to meet people who remembered the DVLR, to experience the running locos and to see the other layouts, the excellent forthcoming book and to share some images.

post-14654-0-24365900-1374609272_thumb.jpg

Joem shunting the freight train

post-14654-0-57132100-1374609326_thumb.jpg

The railbus which got very popular

post-14654-0-62202600-1374609377_thumb.jpg

Here comes Ixion's next model....

post-14654-0-03015700-1374609426_thumb.jpg

Ken Nelson's Skipwith station layout

post-14654-0-11879500-1374609486_thumb.jpg

Philip Lockwood's Whelganby cameo

post-14654-0-97559000-1374609550_thumb.jpg

Small locos shunting at Coney Hill

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I gather that the Holne Publishing book, 'Rails along the Derwent', new history of the DVLR, is now published & on its way to those who ordered it - awaited with anticipation!

Dava

I gather that the Holne Publishing book, 'Rails along the Derwent', new history of the DVLR, is now published & on its way to those who ordered it - awaited with anticipation!

Dava

I bought this book yesterday at the 009 40th Anniversary convention; one of the authors was helping to operate one the layouts and had signed copies available.

The wait is worth it and I'm enjoying reading the book, its well illustrated and very readable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I have lots of ideas, and I build a layout about every 20 years on average, so only a few are realised. But the new workshop gives me up to an extra four feet for 'Coney Hill' as a possible extension....

• 1 year later...

Archived