Isle of Wight Railway Coaches

Ydna

It is possible he has been working on them for some time as I sent him some drawings a few months ago. These were the ones in the Maycock and Reed book on IOW carriages, and the kits will  therefore copy the panelled/non-panelled pattern from those drawings. When I last corresponded with Allen he said he needed to experiment with replicating the rivetting on the panelled sections.   I hope you specified 4mm scale, as he usually works in 3mm scale!

Chris

Was volunteering at Havenstreet in the C&W dept. yesterday whilst down for a weeks hols., and one of the SECR 4 compartment brake coach bodies (4149) is in the workshop for emptying out/structural assessment. It had been under a tarpaulin for a few years so it was the first time I'd seen it. Had a walk round the partially stripped body and took a few pictures. It was interesting to see where the coach had been altered for the island with evidence showing of old doorshuts etc that were covered in when the compartments were removed.

If anyone's interested I can upload a few pix here...

JF

I have some photos of IOW coaches in my collection. I have the negs, so my copyright but before my time and the information on them is provided by others.

Mind I do remember travelling in these as we used to take day trips to the Island before I had a camera. One very crowded day my father insisted that a 1st class compartment was opened for us, but we were locked in. On arrival at a through station were we wanted to get out we had considerable difficulty in getting station staff to let us out before it departed.

S2445S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e3b346ae2

S2452S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e2e1d7ca0

S4135S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e3d4aa408

S4142S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e297fcb13

S4147S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e33dd84ce

S4154S http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e29cdd16f

S6348  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching/e33c1922d

Enjoy

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

The latest issue of Scalefour News (a members' only publication) contains a superb article by Andy Gannon about how he modelled a large batch of Island-based SECR coaches in 4mm scale using CAD and laser cutting. In passing it mentions that Markits now stock the "clipped" buffers (in brass and sprung) that were fitted on these coaches. The article describes some pretty remarkable model engineering (such as specially cast bogie weights, and a home made vacuum former for the roofs). The use of CAD and laser cutting is somewhat more attainable, however. They are beautiful models and all in all it is a most inspiring article.

Now, if you go to Scaleforum in Stoke Mandeville next weekend, this issue also serves as the show guide.

Chris

Alton

Hampshire 

The buffers are the ones I use on my coaches. The SECR ones are similar to the LBSCR ones but are a little longer in real life. But in model form you cannot see the difference.

Here are some pics of my coaches. Sorry if they are dark.I took the pics in the loft.

1st up The LBSCR tourist coach/ex invalid saloon made up of a farish coach shaved, sectioned to correct width and length.The wide windows were made by sectioning a standard roxey LBSCR Coach side around the window and making the bit up inbetween.

20160920_185139-1_zpsjwilvaed.jpg

20160920_185126-1_zpsezazaw0x.jpg

Here's a link to a couple of pictures of the coaches built by Andy Gannon, Featured in the September Scalefour News, and on display this weekend at Scaleforum. I saw them and they were completely breathtaking. Had a long chat with Andy about his methods. These really are in the top notch!

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk/community/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/December_2015.pdf

Chris G

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes I did specify 4mm but nothing has appeared lately. Shame as I have now built 8 SECR comps now 2 middle saloon and 6 end saloon. Found it easier to use a SECR brake for the end Saloon ones. Now I have built 12 SECR coaches and 8 LBSCR's I don't need anymore now .

• RMweb Gold

The plating over seems to have been a bit patchy in its application as Dad's photos taken in the 1960s show - http://www.ipernity.com/tag/philsutters/keyword/4333888 (Please note that some Firewalls don't like the ipernity website - a friend has a Norton firewall which goes mad if an ipernity link is clicked!)

Using Triang clerestories would have the same problem which I bottled out of in creating S&D stock, back in the '60s - the GWR 'G' shaped grab handles. You can now get the elongated 'S' shaped ones now, but it's another cost and task to factor in.

As the ipernity photo-sharing website looks likely to close at the end of next month, I have begun to build up an archive of Dad's photos on this site. The IOW photos, referred to in my post above, can now be found at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4116-isle-of-wight-in-the-1960s/

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a way of creating representational models of the SECR coaches as quickly as possible. I settled on using Ratio Midland suburban sides, cut and shut to length, and to commission laser-cut components based on CAD files which I created myself. The photos show the results of a proof of concept which I regard as successful and will form the basis of a completed model in due course. 

The laser cut components are made of 1mm Rowmark and are

The floor

Compartment walls

Ends

Ceiling

Roof formers

The brass roof is from Branchlines (universal brass roof) which can be easily bent to the correct profile.

The sides do not bear comparison with real SECR sides, there are too many compartments and too small a guards compartment, but the aim of the exercise was to create something which created the right impression and was a variation from the diet of LBSCR coaches.

I do have some Bill Bedford brass sides which I will use for a next batch, with modified laser cut components. 

Some grainy iphone pictures below which show the idea

Chris G

Alton

Hants

post-18118-0-34886700-1485004945_thumb.jpg

post-18118-0-46306700-1485004946_thumb.jpg

post-18118-0-58101500-1485004947_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

With the lack of any simple alternative, I think that's quite a good idea! If you could sort of square off the bottom of each window it would  add another subtle difference in appearance and probably be quite convincing.

Cheers

JF

I also tried the Bill Bedford recommended way of building roofs, and stuck 2mm by .5mm plastic strip to the formers. I am very taken with the result, still without the tissue paper. I think it's going to make a very convincing looking roof. Total time to get to this point  around 3 hours.

Chris

post-18118-0-94331200-1485014949_thumb.jpg

With the lack of any simple alternative, I think that's quite a good idea! If you could sort of square off the bottom of each window it would  add another subtle difference in appearance and probably be quite convincing.

Cheers

JF

Thanks Jon for the suggestion. I can certainly see the point of that, though I won't be adopting it.  I'm applying the art of compromise at the moment for the sake of getting things built. There will be around 8 passenger rakes on my layout when it is fully operational, I only have 2 right now, so anything that looks sort of right is acceptable. This particular batch of coaches needs to blend with what is already there, and as I said I have some proper etched sides on hand for future builds. The standard will rise, and at the moment I am happy to have demonstrated that with judicious use of laser cut components I can achieve reasonable results more quickly than ever before.  

I'm also helping everyone I'm sure, as a certain result of moving into building SECR IOW coaches will mean that one of the RTR companies will introduce them. Though funnily enough, having taken the Kernow O2s on board I have been sufficiently unimpressed with the durability of all the fine detail, that I am going back to kitbuilding them!

Chris

Thanks Jon for the suggestion. I can certainly see the point of that, though I won't be adopting it.  I'm applying the art of compromise at the moment for the sake of getting things built. There will be around 8 passenger rakes on my layout when it is fully operational, I only have 2 right now, so anything that looks sort of right is acceptable. This particular batch of coaches needs to blend with what is already there, and as I said I have some proper etched sides on hand for future builds. The standard will rise, and at the moment I am happy to have demonstrated that with judicious use of laser cut components I can achieve reasonable results more quickly than ever before.  

I'm also helping everyone I'm sure, as a certain result of moving into building SECR IOW coaches will mean that one of the RTR companies will introduce them. Though funnily enough, having taken the Kernow O2s on board I have been sufficiently unimpressed with the durability of all the fine detail, that I am going back to kitbuilding them!

Chris

..and the roof profile is the signature point of the SECR coaches, which you have captured very well!

JF

..and the roof profile is the signature point of the SECR coaches, which you have captured very well!

JF

Which was my main objective!  At a normal viewing distance the eye will say "ah, an SECR coach".  The eye, looking a bit more closely may of course also say "too many compartments and too small luggage compartment" but we all set out own modelling standards, and I am always happy when I manage to reach mine (whilst also aspiring to, and admiring, the levels above me).

Thank you for your kind comments  :-)

Chris

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 1