ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

• 1 year later...

The original ZTC was set up by Robin Palmer, who is said to have worked for/with Hornby on the Zero 1 system, after Hornby discontinued Zero 1. ZTC has been reported by others as being the acronym for Zero Two Controls and was supposed to be the next stage in development of the Zero 1 system. Hence the backward compatibility with Zero 1 for some ZTC products.

David Nicholson bought ZTC off Robin Palmer when it looked like it was going to close and ran it as one division in his business which I think was in the electronics sector and was called something like "Trizac" or Trizo", apologies if I've got the name wrong.

Sorry for belated entry to this topic, but I have only recently been searching the history of Zero-1.  I can confirm that Robin Palmer was instrumental in the design and development of Zero-1.  Robin was an independent consultant, who amongst other things invented the electronic doorbell chimes!  I cannot say for certain but I am pretty sure that Zero-1 was his concept.  He then developed it with Hornby and Texas Instruments.  There is quite a bit of a story to tell, which I will find time to write up.

DeadRinger.

• Like 1

Just for the record, I now have a 611 plus a 622, bought second hand from one of our esteemed members on here. Apart from a bit of quick testing, I have not used it in anger yet, due to the delay to building my 00 layout (concentrating now on the outdoor 16mm layout), but it feels, responds and behaves, just in that 15 minutes on a simple test track, far better than the 511 I had previously used a few times on a friend's layout. Here's hoping that the large screen addition is not too far away (my eyes are not getting any younger)....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In which ways is it that much better than the 511, out of interest? I've got a 511 with a bit of a dodgy reverser, half tempted to upgrade to the 611 but it's a lot of money for something which looks essentially the same.

Graham advised me last week that their engineer is working on controller development so it looks hopeful that this won't be long now.

What sort of Development? the handhelds or the main 611?

Ian_B

In which ways is it that much better than the 511, out of interest? I've got a 511 with a bit of a dodgy reverser, half tempted to upgrade to the 611 but it's a lot of money for something which looks essentially the same.

Hard to define without using it more, but it feels more robust, seems heavier and better put together. It seemed to me that it responded faster to commands, but that may be my imagination. The throttle and brake work more smoothly and responsively, but that could be just because it has been little used, whereas my friend's 511 had been used a lot, at quite a few open days as well as his own sessions. I have not explored yet what additional functionality and connectivity it has above the 511, so cannot help you there.

• RMweb Gold

From another post it looks like its development of a replacement for the 611!

The 611 is no longer in production and wont be again as its being replaced with the 612.

This is taken from another post so I can't confirm this, but I believe the OP has contacted ZTC to get this information.

Interesting times ahead me thinks.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

I spoke with Pat today and she advised that the current development work is for the 612 which I understand is the updated 611 with a larger display screen. I believe the spec for the screen and its functions is very comprehensive and exciting.

• 1 month later...

I do so very hope that it will be possible to pay for an upgrade from the 611 to the 612 - the larger screen is the one thing that will make the biggest difference, but I do not fancy paying for a brand new jobbie after having only recently bought a 611 (albeit second hand).

ZTC/Taunton did this for an upgrade to the 611 from the 511, so hopefully.......EDIT - having looked at their website, I see they intend to cater for upgrades, so that's OK.

A pity their picture for the 612 is actually a 611. Let's hope they can provide a mock up picture of the new screen in due course.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do so very hope that it will be possible to pay for an upgrade from the 611 to the 612 - the larger screen is the one thing that will make the biggest difference, but I do not fancy paying for a brand new jobbie after having only recently bought a 611 (albeit second hand).

ZTC/Taunton did this for an upgrade to the 611 from the 511, so hopefully.......EDIT - having looked at their website, I see they intend to cater for upgrades, so that's OK.

A pity their picture for the 612 is actually a 611. Let's hope they can provide a mock up picture of the new screen in due course.

Mike bit late replying. However from what I know the 611 will be available to upgrade.

Likewise you will be able to fit the new large screen to the 611.

This is the option I will adopt.

I doubt if anyone will be able to do the same with the old 511 unless that's upgraded first.

Also heard the casing will be a different colour ?

Edited by shibushe

• 1 month later...

About 7 years ago I wanted a direct plug in 8 pin decoder & chose the ZTC 258.  The worst decision I ever made! 

After about 4 years I was getting ready for the Great Electric Train Show & found that they would run for about 15 seconds, pause for 10 seconds, then carry on with the previous, setting, pause & then repeated the action.  I asked for any solutions via RMWeb & Merg.  No one could offer a reason.  I use a Lenz LZV 100 command station & LH 90 controllers.  I use. a large assortment  of different decoders (including sound).  Taunton Controls tried to alter them with no success, so I finished up paying over £100 for some TCS decoders which have performed flawlessly.

Many of you are looking forward to the new ZTC controller.  Be careful what you wish for!  Me?  I would not touch anything from Taunton Controls with a barge pole!   They have obviously given up trying to help me.

• RMweb Gold

You would have paid the £100 anyway if you had gone for TCS on day one.

You got a duff decoder seven years ago and have since had a fall out with ZTC. That is unfortunate and you have my sympathy but it has no bearing on current developments. Such scaremongering sounds like sour grapes and a feeble attempt to "get back" at Taunton Controls.

You would have paid the £100 anyway if you had gone for TCS on day one.

You got a duff decoder seven years ago and have since had a fall out with ZTC. That is unfortunate and you have my sympathy but it has no bearing on current developments. Such scaremongering sounds like sour grapes and a feeble attempt to "get back" at Taunton Controls.

Colin,

7 years ago I was a relative new comer to DCC  & the ZTC 258 was heavily advertised in the magazines at the time as it was the only 'inline' direct plug in decoder available.  The Lenz equivalent was at right angles to the locomotive's fore & aft line - OK for the wider Continental/American locos but could not be used on the narrower UK locos.  You imply that it was just one decoder, in fact it was all 6 of them!  It is not just a 'fall out with ZTC', it is a question of them solving why they are defective.  Obviously a fault in their design/programming.  I have had a long correspondence with them going back over 3 years without resolution so they have had plenty of time to find a solution.

It is not a question of 'sour grapes' or 'getting back' at Taunton Controls, it is the fact that I spent over £100 on some electronic equipment which failed after 4 years & the company is not trying to resolve the problem.  After their first effort at solving the problem,  I should have taken them to the Small Claims Court but after 4 years I did not have the receipt.  If it was just a faulty batch, why didn't they replace them as a goodwill gesture & avoided all this adverse publicity?

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle

Colin,

7 years ago I was a relative new comer to DCC  & the ZTC 258 was heavily advertised in the magazines at the time as it was the only 'inline' direct plug in decoder available.  The Lenz equivalent was at right angles to the locomotive's fore & aft line - OK for the wider Continental/American locos but could not be used on the narrower UK locos.  You imply that it was just one decoder, in fact it was all 6 of them!  It is not just a 'fall out with ZTC', it is a question of them solving why they are defective.  Obviously a fault in their design/programming.  I have had a long correspondence with them going back over 3 years without resolution so they have had plenty of time to find a solution.

It is not a question of 'sour grapes' or 'getting back' at Taunton Controls, it is the fact that I spent over £100 on some electronic equipment which failed after 4 years & the company is not trying to resolve the problem.  After their first effort at solving the problem,  I should have taken them to the Small Claims Court but after 4 years I did not have the receipt.  If it was just a faulty batch, why didn't they replace them as a goodwill gesture & avoided all this adverse publicity?

Peter

I've got loads of ZTC258 decoders and never had any problems. Performance wise I regard them as good as a Lenz Standard.

I've got loads of ZTC258 decoders and never had any problems. Performance wise I regard them as good as a Lenz Standard.

I was delighted with the six ZTC258 decoders I bought for four years before they started to go wrong.  On a similar vein, I have had many 'cheap & cheerful' Bachmann/Hornby decoders for almost 10 years which have performed flawlessly, in spite of many 'experts' running them down!

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there is any update on the expected delivery date of the 611 controller?

The 611 is no longer available, it is being replaced by the 612 which will have a large touch screen on it.

No news as yet to when it will be available, it will be silver from the web site!.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 months later...

Sorry for belated entry to this topic, but I have only recently been searching the history of Zero-1.  I can confirm that Robin Palmer was instrumental in the design and development of Zero-1.  Robin was an independent consultant, who amongst other things invented the electronic doorbell chimes!  I cannot say for certain but I am pretty sure that Zero-1 was his concept.  He then developed it with Hornby and Texas Instruments.  There is quite a bit of a story to tell, which I will find time to write up.

DeadRinger.

As promised, the story of the development of ZERO-1, from the (fading) memory of one of the developers at Hornby.  Please see the attachment.

The Zero-1story.pdf

I hope your enjoy.

All the best

DeadRinger

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The article mentions a Robin Palmer, who went on to work at ZTC.  Was Robin the "main man" up until it's closure?  (It was eventually sold/passed on to the current owner.)   If so then I recall ZTC selling off units at Scaleforum back in 20?? something for seriously discounted prices, whist neglecting to mention that the company would be shut down just a few weeks later......... :nono: