ZTC 611 UPDATED CONTROLLER!

Its worth pointing out, that the upgrade (ie the 611) will have a completely new mother board made using more modern components and with much larger capacity memory chips. The software is being completely re-written from scratch in a more modern programming language which will make it much easier to add new enhancements and maintain. So 511 software bugs wont move to the 611.    

That is good to know.

At least with the delay, I have no excuse for not working on the scenic side of the layout. I can run trains using an old Hornby Select (dreadful to use) but the signals don't work and the points have to be operated manually. Result: lots of scenic work getting done right now!

I'm really hoping this upgrade irons out the bugs because my 511 was a joy to operate otherwise.

Cheers,

Dave

The software is being completely re-written from scratch in a more modern programming language which will make it much easier to add new enhancements and maintain. So 511 software bugs wont move to the 611.    

BTDTGTTS.

It wil have it's own completely unique set of new bugsfeatures :-)

Andrew

BTDTGTTS.

It wil have it's own completely unique set of new bugsfeatures :-)

Andrew

Thats a very cynical view, but I accept possible.  It depends upon the quality of the programming & testing.  The problem with the 511 is that it's memory is full, and the software is written in a language that's now difficult to modify because it's gone out of fashion, and few people know it.

Dont forget, the new ZTC company is completely different from the old one.  Neil Kinison has invested a lot of his own money in restoring ZTC, and developing a new mother board with complete software re-write and new features dosn't come cheap !

I know that his predecessor (Dave Nicholson) upset a lot of people, but you shouldn't tar Neil with the same brush ! 

Edited by Combe Martin

Your last statement Combe Martin is very true.

But I did not buy the man, I bought his 505, and after some seven or more years it (the 505) does all that I wish. I shall now go and try it again this afternoon, and if it gives me any grief I shall say so.

PB

Edited by Peter Bedding

Its worth pointing out, that the upgrade (ie the 611) will have a completely new mother board made using more modern components and with much larger capacity memory chips. The software is being completely re-written from scratch in a more modern programming language which will make it much easier to add new enhancements and maintain. So 511 software bugs wont move to the 611.    

So it's not really an upgrade to the 511 then, more a question of removing the innards, binning them and replacing them with brand new. The only parts being retained are the case, the display, and the PSU. For someone with an original spec true 505 it looks like a reasonable deal always assuming that the upgrade price is the same. Upgrading a 511 looks like an awful lot of expense, especially if you bought it in the last 2-3 years, but if you've already had it for 5+ years then I'd be inclined to look on it as the equivalent buying a new more modern DCC controller. 

• Like 1

So it's not really an upgrade to the 511 then, more a question of removing the innards, binning them and replacing them with brand new. The only parts being retained are the case, the display, and the PSU. For someone with an original spec true 505 it looks like a reasonable deal always assuming that the upgrade price is the same. Upgrading a 511 looks like an awful lot of expense, especially if you bought it in the last 2-3 years, but if you've already had it for 5+ years then I'd be inclined to look on it as the equivalent buying a new more modern DCC controller. 

I agree with you, Keith. If I should ever need to improve/mend my 505, then - as at today - the 611 would be my preferred option.

I see from my archives that I visited the Glastonbury unit 13 May 2006, for a workshop/tutorial session. I bought the 505 for £212.77 and a 4004 Plug and Play decoder to hardwire into my Hornby Q1.

As may be seen in my photo below, as at this afternoon, both are still fully operational, and fully satisfactory. Usual disclaimers.

post-489-0-15053000-1372870766.jpg

PB

• Like 2

But if the man had a different approach to his customers and his business maybe ZTC would still be in his hands and not version whatever.

But anyway, back on topic.

Edited by two tone green

• RMweb Premium

So it's not really an upgrade to the 511 then, more a question of removing the innards, binning them and replacing them with brand new. 

I'd be interested to know if you could retain the old parts they remove from the Controller, rather than seeing them binned... 

You never know when they might come in handy...

polybear

(A bit of a squirrel by nature)

I originally thought that £199 for an upgrade seemed excessive, but if you look at it in a different way it could be thought a bargain.  Those who buy a new 611 will pay £250 for the box and the tiny display.

I originally thought that £199 for an upgrade seemed excessive, but if you look at it in a different way it could be thought a bargain.  Those who buy a new 611 will pay £250 for the box and the tiny display.

Not sure that I understand how you arrive at a new 611 costing £250. If you are saying what I think you are, then £250 (£449 - £199) is very expensive for an empty metal box and a small monochrome LCD display, the only common components between a 511 and 611..

If you don't have a 505 or 511 to upgrade, the price of a new 611 is shown as £449. The web site is not explicit, but it looks like a first time 611 owner will also need a PSU, and the ZTC 560 PSU web list price is £49, assuming that's what you will need additionally, making a total outlay of £498.

Also there is no mention that I can see of owners of the original spec 505 being offered the upgrade. Very frustrating when replcing the innards of a 505 with the 511 upgrade turns your 505 to a 611, unless ZTC expect you to stump up the old upgrade a 505 to 511 spec fee of £200 as well before they'll do the work. 

Edited by GoingUnderground

I specifically asked Neil at the Exeter Show if the 505 could be updated in the same way and the same cost as the 511 and he said yes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                .

Bill

• Like 1

I specifically asked Neil at the Exeter Show if the 505 could be updated in the same way and the same cost as the 511 and he said yes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                .

Bill

In that case an original spec £200 505 with the 611 upgrade looks to be much better value than a 511 which had the extra routes memory module fitted previously. If you're throwing away the original circuit board from a 505 or 511 then it might as well be the cheaper original 505 that you use as the donor housing. Good news for 505 owners.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

SBX did a deal with the Nicholson business to market ZTC products, I think manufacture was still with the Nicholson business. The SBX deal fell apart after about a year, reasons unknown.

I seem to remember phoning SBX around the time this happened. And getting the distinct impression that the owner was more than a little P****d Off about recent occurrences....

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Bill

I got the same confirmation from Neil Kinison at Peterborough last weekend, which is good news :)

I know that his predecessor (Dave Nicholson) upset a lot of people....

Agreed. I saw Dave N. flogging off ZTC kit at a Scaleforum several years ago, at a hefty discount (clearing as much stock as possible, no doubt). And then very soon after announcing the closure of ZTC. I'd be really impressed if I'd just spent ZTC-type money on a system...

If I recall it was some time before the SBX deal was subsequently announced.

polybear

p.s. Wishing all the best to Neil Kinnison/ZTC - it may not have all the "bells & whistles" of some other top systems, but to me it's still the best driving desk out there. Personally I liken some of the cleverest DCC systems to fancy VCR's - lots of functions but most people still only use Play/Stop/Rec/FFWD/Rev/Eject...

polybear

Edited by polybear

• 4 weeks later...